• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Surprise trip to DL. Driving - we may be crazy!

GrowUp2BaPrincess

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

We are WDW veterans, but have never been to DL. We've decided to surprise our kids with a trip on Christmas morning. We will leave Arkansas on the 28th...and DRIVE! We are thinking that we'll definitely try to stop at the Grand Canyon. Our hotel stay at Paradise Pier doesn't begin until Tuesday the 30th, so we do have the time to stop, if weather permits. We will spend Wednesday (NYE), Thursday, and Friday park hopping between DL and DCA (if allowed, due to crowds and possible closing??), before driving back home. (Yes, it's 24 hours...we do enjoy car trips, and with 2 adult sons, we can split the drive time between 4 of us, so it's not really as horrible as it sounds.) We are hopeful that weather will cooperate, and are comforted by the option of driving further south if necessary. I've searched the trip reports, but I'm not finding many written with similar dates, so any info that you can provide on your experiences along our driving route, or at the parks during that time of year would be greatly appreciated. WE have been to WDW for NYE before, so we anticipate that the crowds will be comparable. WE do wonder if the parks will close to capacity, on either NYE or NYD. Want to make sure our dining reservations are in the "right" park, if that happens.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Christy

I'd just point out that even the South Rim of the Grand Canyon will be cold around that time, so be prepared. Also - the fall and winter temps can be unpredictable. Apparently it's a high in the 40s F today but will climb to the 60s in a few days. However, it will probably be pretty cold around New Years Day.

Remember that DL is smaller than MK, so NYE crowds will feel much denser than you might think. Main Street and the Hub area are PACKED, to the point that it can be very hard to maneuver around. The odds of NYE gate closures are pretty high, although not guaranteed. Also, if you are planning on attending the countdown in either park, be prepared for the physical toll after a long car trip. Take plenty of rest breaks if you need to. Do a search here for threads on DL on NYE -- there have been several recently, so you should be able to find more information there.

Sounds very risky with the weather that time of year. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter