Surprise Upgrades?

We are at POFQ and are enjoying our garden view after we booked standard. We checked in early on Saturday and the lady at check-in asked if I wanted her to see if any other rooms were available since ours wasn’t yet...we said yes and got an upgraded view in a better location than what we requested. It’s been lovely here!

a long time ago, we got surprise upgrades at the Grand Floridian, but not since then. glad to know they're still around!

One time I booked a standard room at All Star Movies and got a preferred room - that was nice for a 10-day stay.

And this doesn't really count as an upgrade, but I had some issues at the Poly during our last stay there and was given a complimentary night at any Deluxe resort we wanted. That was pretty sweet.

I’ve stayed at Disney resorts over 20 times and have never been upgraded, but maybe someday! :wizard:

We were kinda hoping for a Savannah view upgrade when we stayed at AKL last Oct., but it was not to be. But it turned out ok. We had a pool view, and we were literally about 25 steps away from the bus... we found an access door right across from our room on our first night and that was worth more than the view, haha. We were able to find several other great opportunities to view the animals.

We were upgraded to Saratoga Springs when Pop was oversold. I was excited but the rest of our family wanted to stay at Pop!!!!

This would totally be my kids! They watch waaaaayyyyy too much Disney channel, and want to stay at AoA from the commercials about it. No LM rooms left for our dates and $400 family suite is not happening. So we're starting our trip at Pop, and they can walk over for the drawing class, for which they are super excited. We're then switching over to the Swolfin, and they are not nearly as excited about that. I'm like, "guys, we can WALK to DHS and Epcot," and they're like, "um...okay, that'll be nice."

This would totally be my kids! They watch waaaaayyyyy too much Disney channel, and want to stay at AoA from the commercials about it. No LM rooms left for our dates and $400 family suite is not happening. So we're starting our trip at Pop, and they can walk over for the drawing class, for which they are super excited. We're then switching over to the Swolfin, and they are not nearly as excited about that. I'm like, "guys, we can WALK to DHS and Epcot," and they're like, "um...okay, that'll be nice."

My 5 year old niece is the same way but there is no way I'm paying that much for a value.

For those that have gotten upgrades, do you make specific room requests (i.e. room number), general requests (i.e. close to transportation), or no requests?
I made no special requests. In hindsight, I expect we got an upgrade because our original room was not ready on time. Not sure there is anything you can do to improve your odds of getting one.
Yeah I don't think there's anything you can do. Seems like it just happens when they're overbooked on a room type or if rooms go out for maintenance.

Just tonight -- got a call from Disney's Boardwalk! I was curious about the voicemail... like what is wrong, what did they need type of thing... so I called them right back and talked to a super friendly cast member who upgraded our Deluxe CL room to a 2-Bedroom CL Suite! I didn't know what to say! Is that going to be okay? Um... YES! Yes that'll be wonderful thank you!! Quick talk with my wife... Is it okay if they upgrade us to a 2-bedroom suite? :D

We were going to be really cramped in the single room with 3 beds but now we'll have space galore. I was looking forward to the Boardwalk View... We'll do that next time!

Best upgrade ever was several years ago at Wilderness Lodge. We were upgraded to the vice presidential suite. It was beautiful & I staye d up late just soaking it all in & enjoying every single second. Our reservation was for one night only & think that was the reason for our good luck.
Just this past March, my Dd's family was upgraded to club level at GF. Again, that reservation was for one night only as well. And what I found surprising is that neither of these reservations were not made through Disney!

In 2009 we were taking our first trip staying onsite. We booked the new Pirate rooms at CBR. 2 days before we were supposed to leave, get a call from WDW Reservations. Pirate rooms were behind schedule on being completed and they wanted to give us a free upgrade. We got to spend 9 nights at Poly for the price of CBR and had a lagoon view. Loved it!

I received an upgrade at the Boardwalk Inn from a standard room to a club level room with a view of the Boardwalk. It was a short stay of only three nights, after a conference at the Orlando Convention Center. It was a wonderful upgrade, truly a dream come true! I think that I received an upgrade because have stayed multiple times at the Boardwalk Inn.

Love reading these! We were upgraded at Old Key West from Studio to 1-Bed and then for our Disney Wedding / honeymoon, we were upgraded at the Grand Floridian from Outer Garden View to Theme Park View - that was a dream come true to see the castle and fireworks from our room! :lovestruc

Just before the 2018 Princess Half Marathon weekend, we'd booked a standard room with a courtyard view for two nights at the Wilderness Lodge, and got upgraded to a CL room. It was very cool and a nice surprise! I didn't know about all of the perks, like free food and fancy chocolates. Unfortunately, it's made me want to stay CL whenever I can now, haha

We had reservations for the garden wing at CR and were upgraded to the hospitality suite (it was AMAZING!) I warned my family that we would never be able to stay in a room like that again, but we lived it up the 5 nights we were there!

Best upgrade ever was several years ago at Wilderness Lodge. We were upgraded to the vice presidential suite. It was beautiful & I staye d up late just soaking it all in & enjoying every single second. Our reservation was for one night only & think that was the reason for our good luck.
Just this past March, my Dd's family was upgraded to club level at GF. Again, that reservation was for one night only as well. And what I found surprising is that neither of these reservations were not made through Disney!

Wow that's an amazing upgrade! In 10 trips, we have never had an upgrade - all but 1 trip has been made through Disney

Last year we were upgraded to Club level at the Poly. It was our first trip to Disney - such an amazing surprise and we loved every moment of it.

Last June we were booked for Tower CL TPV room and we were upgraded to the Presidential suite on the 14th floor. Ironically, I have booked probably around 40-50 trips through my name and this room reservation was done in my daughter's name with an AP discount- her first adult trip (18 yr old) and she got the upgrade. At check in - they said we were chosen as family of the day. It was a 3 night reservation and yes the big kids did have a hard time leaving the room each morning because it was so nice.

I actually have a few surprise upgrades:
First one was my mother's 80th birthday(2005)and we booked at CL a tower room and was upgraded to concierge level! we went to MK and when we came back they left a mini Minnie Mouse doll and some balloons and a card signed from Mickey and Minnie. It still sits on her nightstand
Special mention was really a treat - we were staying at YC and got into the elevator with someone from the concierge level and she asked us if we would like to get some snacks from the club level we got some goodies and took back to our room.
2nd surprise upgrade we were doing a split stay left CBR and went to YC as we were checking in the CM told us I have some pixie dust coming your way next thing you know we were on our way to CL! There were 2 glasses of champagne waiting for us as we got off the elevator.
3rd upgrade was Thanksgiving and I love WL during the holidays. I was taking pictures of the tree and a CM came over we started talking and I mentioned that we were staying there just waiting for our room. She said she was going to check on it and came back with (at that time) 2 golden cards and upgraded us to CL and stated that I could enjoy the tree from the best view.

I have no idea on how we got chosen for upgrades they really do just happen except one of them at the YC because of a reservation mix up ( the room had 1 bed instead of 2 and they upgraded us to CL (again)) It truly is a magical surprise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter