Surprising my almost 13 yo DD with trip

bigmochick

Mouseketeer
We leave Tuesday, been planning thus for 6+ months and she has no idea. Part of me would like to pick her up from school with bags packed. Another part of me wants to break the news the morning of before she gets on the school bus. She’ll miss a day and a half of 7th grade. It’s the end of the semester (parent teacher conferences that Thursday & Friday) so she shouldn’t miss much at school. I bought plain shirts and iron one that say “ Disney Bound”. Leaning towards revealing the trip Tuesday morning so she can get any papers she needs done turned in during the after school study group. Any neat ideas on how I can break the news of her surprise trip?

Give her the t-shirt to wear Tuesday morning to school. That way it will still be a surprise but she will have all day to process it, get her school work, and tell all her friends how lucky she is. Everyone will comment on her shirt and she will be on cloud 9 all day. Hope you have a great trip!!!!

I agree with PP, surprise her with the shirt the night before saying ' I thought you could wear this tomorrow!' No matter how you surprise her, she will be elated. You are going to have a great time!

Edited: that way she can tell her friends etc. And pack anything she may really want to take on the trip with her

We surprised our younger two by telling them they had eye appointments, so I was picking them up for school. I would have said "dentist", but we'd seen him the week before. We grabbed them and drove straight to the airport. The only down sides of this technique are:

My DD cried for 15 minutes in the car. Happy tears, for sure, but she was so overwhelmed she had to let it out.

Also, she felt bad that she couldn't tell her friends where she was going.

She was fine by the tie we got to the airport.

Anyway, I think a day or two's notice would probably help with the processing. Especially if you're concerned that your DD might have unfinished school work. If it were my DD, that would nag on her the entire trip, making it unenjoyable for her. My DD takes her school work very seriously (probably a good thing). If your DD is the same way, she'd feel much better knowing she's gotten in all her assignments.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter