Surviving high crowd days

Ladyandthepuppies

DIS Veteran
We're planning on visiting MK on a day when the crowd level is an 8... and my husband HATES crowds. We will have our 5 year old and 2 year old with us who aren't great at waiting in lines. But we have never seen Happily Ever After and I'm determined to see it, and this crowd level 8 day is the only day when we can make it happen (due to MVMCP- the other days we're there MK will have Holiday Wishes.)

We will have our 3 fast passes and I got a Harmony Barbershop and Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique reservation. Breakfast at BOG although I'm hoping with luck I can switch it to lunch. Does anyone have any recommendations or tips on how to handle crowds and not be miserable? I got a Touring Plans account to make personalized plans but obviously their predictions are not guaranteed, so I want to have a backup plan for how to enjoy ourselves if it gets really nuts.

First, ditch the Touring Plans crowd calendar. They're as accurate as a coin flip or a Magic 8 ball...really.

If it's crowded, then there really isn't a lot of "strategy" to it beyond just having patience. It sort of is what it is. Take your time, use FP+ to your advantage...we never wait in lines, we always use FP+. For HEA, if you want to see it from the hub, you're going to have to deal with a big crowd. No way around it.

If he truly hates crowds he will be miserable. You need to prepare him and ask him to be patient. MK can be the most frustrating on "high" crowd days.

I would splurge for the HEA dessert party if you think he will have a serious issue with it.

If he truly hates crowds he will be miserable. You need to prepare him and ask him to be patient. MK can be the most frustrating on "high" crowd days.

I would splurge for the HEA dessert party if you think he will have a serious issue with it.
Does that give a special viewing area for fireworks? Maybe I should look into that...

We're planning on visiting MK on a day when the crowd level is an 8... and my husband HATES crowds. We will have our 5 year old and 2 year old with us who aren't great at waiting in lines. But we have never seen Happily Ever After and I'm determined to see it, and this crowd level 8 day is the only day when we can make it happen (due to MVMCP- the other days we're there MK will have Holiday Wishes.)

We will have our 3 fast passes and I got a Harmony Barbershop and Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique reservation. Breakfast at BOG although I'm hoping with luck I can switch it to lunch. Does anyone have any recommendations or tips on how to handle crowds and not be miserable? I got a Touring Plans account to make personalized plans but obviously their predictions are not guaranteed, so I want to have a backup plan for how to enjoy ourselves if it gets really nuts.

This sounds exactly like us. Only have 1 MK day that isn’t a Christmas party and want to see HEA. TP predicts high crowd level. We also have BOG breakfast and BBB reservations that day!! I have been advised that a good touring plan is more important than predicted crowd level. I’m not sure if that totally applies during these super crowded Christmas Party weeks on non-party days, but I’m hoping a bit of strategy will help. We will get our fast passes if possible and then use the touring plans app to optimize our plans for minimal wait time. It has to be better than just winging it on our own right?! Btw, what is Harmony Barbershop?

I just looked into the HEA dessert party options. Wow- they are expensive- but a couple reviews said how great the standing one is and was much less crowded than standing on Main Street. Hubby is asleep so couldn’t have rational input. I booked it. It’s prepay but possible to cancel/refund if I can’t convince him! I figured we aren’t doing a sit down dinner that night and we only have one chance to see HEA! Thanks for mentioning it SaintsManiac!

This sounds exactly like us. Only have 1 MK day that isn’t a Christmas party and want to see HEA. TP predicts high crowd level. We also have BOG breakfast and BBB reservations that day!! I have been advised that a good touring plan is more important than predicted crowd level. I’m not sure if that totally applies during these super crowded Christmas Party weeks on non-party days, but I’m hoping a bit of strategy will help. We will get our fast passes if possible and then use the touring plans app to optimize our plans for minimal wait time. It has to be better than just winging it on our own right?! Btw, what is Harmony Barbershop?
Here's hoping! I have been tweaking away at my Touring Plans and keeping my fingers crossed their predictions will be accurate. Having reservations for things is comforting because it will hopefully guarantee minimal waits. I'm going back and forth between a) HEA dessert party ($180 for us) or b) park hoppers ($220 extra for us) since with park hoppers I can switch our MK and Epcot days and go to MK on a day when the crowds should be lower due to MVMCP night. Then we could leave Epcot in time to catch HEA in MK. The problem with that plan is that we tried to do that last year and got caught up having fun in HS and the bus was running late- we made it to MK about 8 mins too late and got turned away at the gate, we totally missed the castle projections and it was really a disappointment. Also if I switch our Epcot and MK days I'll have to start all over with the reservations... I know it's likely I would be able to switch things but after waking up at 6am to get all my reservations it isn't something I want to do!

The Harmony Barbershop is on Main Street and they do actually cut hair. They have a 1st haircut package, my son is 2 and still so bald so I booked him the 1st haircut and hopefully he'll grow some hair by then lol

If that is the only time you will use the park hoppers - then I would spend the additional money on HEA dessert party. Having a non crowded area for HEA is wonderful - plus you don't have to get a spot that far in advance. The crowds are big since everyone wants to see the front of the castle.

My only advice is to start your FPs early - take a break for an indoor lunch and keep getting more FPs. We go during crowded times all the time and just make sure to have all FPs together so we can start to get 4+ FPs.

Here's hoping! I have been tweaking away at my Touring Plans and keeping my fingers crossed their predictions will be accurate. Having reservations for things is comforting because it will hopefully guarantee minimal waits. I'm going back and forth between a) HEA dessert party ($180 for us) or b) park hoppers ($220 extra for us) since with park hoppers I can switch our MK and Epcot days and go to MK on a day when the crowds should be lower due to MVMCP night. Then we could leave Epcot in time to catch HEA in MK. The problem with that plan is that we tried to do that last year and got caught up having fun in HS and the bus was running late- we made it to MK about 8 mins too late and got turned away at the gate, we totally missed the castle projections and it was really a disappointment. Also if I switch our Epcot and MK days I'll have to start all over with the reservations... I know it's likely I would be able to switch things but after waking up at 6am to get all my reservations it isn't something I want to do!

The Harmony Barbershop is on Main Street and they do actually cut hair. They have a 1st haircut package, my son is 2 and still so bald so I booked him the 1st haircut and hopefully he'll grow some hair by then lol

That first haircut sounds adorable!!

I am leaning toward the HEA dessert party for your plans because I would worry about timing it right, like you said happened last year. But at least Epcot is on the monorail so perhaps that’s a little more reliable than a bus? Just speculating since I have no actual experience! It’s so hard to plan when we don’t know about fast passes. That’s one big unknown. Since it’s going to be a high crowd day, I worry it will be impossible to get the desired fast passes. Can you add the park hoppers at any time? If you’re ok paying in advance for the dessert party you could secure that and then end up canceling and changing to park hoppers if getting the fastpasses you want ends up being impossible? I realize that means on overhaul of Dining, which for me would NOT be an option after all the time I’ve already spend! Haha! We are doing MK on two consecutive days- a non party night, and then a party night (although not staying for party). I’m hoping if we can’t get fastpasses the first day that some will be available the second day, but won’t really know until 60 day mark!

The party will be a lifesaver if your DH hates crowds. I have been in MK several times during party season, and if you are there on a non party night, be prepared for shoulder to shoulder crowds from late afternoon on. I book a lunch and dinner ADR for that reason, and 3 FP that at least alleviate lines for those attractions. If you are aware and prepared the crowds seem less annoying, IMO.

The party will be a lifesaver if your DH hates crowds. I have been in MK several times during party season, and if you are there on a non party night, be prepared for shoulder to shoulder crowds from late afternoon on. I book a lunch and dinner ADR for that reason, and 3 FP that at least alleviate lines for those attractions. If you are aware and prepared the crowds seem less annoying, IMO.

Tuesday before Thanksgiving we did the dessert party. Best money I spent that entire trip! Main St actually looked scary and crowds don't bother me.

I just looked into the HEA dessert party options. Wow- they are expensive- but a couple reviews said how great the standing one is and was much less crowded than standing on Main Street. Hubby is asleep so couldn’t have rational input. I booked it. It’s prepay but possible to cancel/refund if I can’t convince him! I figured we aren’t doing a sit down dinner that night and we only have one chance to see HEA! Thanks for mentioning it SaintsManiac!

I've done the party twice on busy nights during holidays. It is absolutely worth it if you have not seen HEA yet and only have limited chance to do so. There's an extensive thread on the Theme Parks board about it. Personally, we are moving on to try other things now, but I highly recommend doing it at least once.

Tuesday before Thanksgiving we did the dessert party. Best money I spent that entire trip! Main St actually looked scary and crowds don't bother me.
Ugh idk I feel like the park hopper idea has some merit! We could rope drop MK on Tues and head to AK or HS when it closes at 6pm, then rope drop MK on Wed, head to Epcot around 11 for lunch and to use FPs, and then go back and deal with the Main Street crowds for HEA but at least we wouldn't have been dealing with the really high crowds for most of the day.

My DH is very intrigued by the dessert party idea and hates the thought of changing all our reservations soooo there's that.

My last visit was with kids almost as old as yours (4.5 and 2.5) and a pregnant wife. Ditch the Touringplans plan. Your nose will be stuck in your phone all day. I tried it the first 10 minutes of the park and tossed it. Here is my advice:

• If you can, reschedule character meals/dining for mid day. Use this time as a 1-2 hour break from the parks to refresh yourself.
  • Plan your whole day around breaks, don't try to do too much. Take a break and find a good parade spot 30-60 minutes before they start. Take a break and snag a good spot for fireworks at the end of the day early.
  • Schedule your Fastpasses for all early in the day. Once they are done, just keep booking the next one for whatever ride is available. Also read the refresh thread. Never wait in standby.

We had a near perfect trip last time with these principles. The touring plan will mess you up mentally and make you anxious and keep looking at the clock. You'll drive yourself crazy if you don't complete it too. Figure out the highlights and must-dos and do them. The rest of your day will form around that easily enough.

My last visit was with kids almost as old as yours (4.5 and 2.5) and a pregnant wife. Ditch the Touringplans plan. Your nose will be stuck in your phone all day. I tried it the first 10 minutes of the park and tossed it. Here is my advice:

• If you can, reschedule character meals/dining for mid day. Use this time as a 1-2 hour break from the parks to refresh yourself.
  • Plan your whole day around breaks, don't try to do too much. Take a break and find a good parade spot 30-60 minutes before they start. Take a break and snag a good spot for fireworks at the end of the day early.
  • Schedule your Fastpasses for all early in the day. Once they are done, just keep booking the next one for whatever ride is available. Also read the refresh thread. Never wait in standby.

We had a near perfect trip last time with these principles. The touring plan will mess you up mentally and make you anxious and keep looking at the clock. You'll drive yourself crazy if you don't complete it too. Figure out the highlights and must-dos and do them. The rest of your day will form around that easily enough.
These are some great tips! What is the “refresh thread”? Is that in a forum here? Thanks so much!!

These are some great tips! What is the “refresh thread”? Is that in a forum here? Thanks so much!!

Here's the thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/“refresh”-is-my-new-favorite-strategy.3687564/unread

It essentially uses your 4th and beyond fast pass of the day with your My Disney Experience app. The general theory is that you set up your fastpasses for the day as early as possible, say in the first few hours of the park. Then you're able to schedule your next fastpass on the fly via your app. Other people are cancelling or switch fastpasses all the time. So with the app, schedule your next fast pass. Then keep trying to find new ones as often as possible by cancelling or replacing your existing fast pass. Eventually after 5-10 minutes some people have been successful in finding a brand new slot to jump in to.

You typically do this while waiting in line. So what I did was schedule my fast pass on my app. Goto the ride and scan in. Once you're scanned it, immediately open the app and see what's available and snag the fast pass. If you can find anything you want or as early as you want keep doing this until you do.

Touring plans was a life saver the last 2 trips we went on with 2 little ones and our mothers who aren't fast walkers. I used the personalized touring plans to optimize the rides we wanted to go on with minimal amount of walking so we weren't scheduling rides that weren't near each other. Even on our last trip that we had to delay because of a snow storm and reschedule all of our FPs 2 weeks in advance, our longest wait was maybe 20 minutes. We prioritize must see rides in the morning which for us aren't the big popular rides because of our kids ages and most rides are short. We would schedule our FPs for late morning and just after lunch. If at that point the crowds are too long we can decide to stay in the park or go enjoy the hotel or a different park.

I printed and laminated our itinerary for each day with a map of the park on the back and gave it to each adult in case we got seperated they would know where we "should" be. My husband laughs at me but he brags to everyone that he didn't have to wait in super long lines and he hates crowds so the extra planning ahead of time makes it more enjoyable for all of us. If the plan gets a little off because we want to stop and take a break we don't let it bother us, once we are in the park we just take it as it comes which is good because my son got sick on our last trip and he and my husband had to miss out on Epcot.

We do the app refresh and never ride anything without a fastpass on a crowded day. It means more walking because you chose rides based on FPs and not proximity, but it is worth a 10 minute walk to avoid a 60-90 minute line.

The other thing we do is not make it all about the fastpass attractions: you can see any animatronics show at MK with minimal wait, even on a crowded day. Tiki Room, Country Bears, Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress.

If I were you and HEA is a must I would do the dessert party because if you park hop from Epcot, you are still going to have the problem of not being able to see/enjoy HEA because of the unbearable crowds at the hub. For me, HEA is skippable, so I would rather do park hoppers and enjoy MK on a quiet day, but since you really want HEA, do the party.

I think we will do HEA dessert party, since my main goal is seeing HEA and also it will be nice to have a special experience.

I did try the refresh strategy last Sept for Frozen and never got a FP for it the whole day we were there. But I know it's one of the very hardest to get.

I wish I could scrape together enough $ for both park hoppers AND the HEA dessert party! It wouldn't be that much more when you think about what we're already spending...

I wish I could scrape together enough $ for both park hoppers AND the HEA dessert party! It wouldn't be that much more when you think about what we're already spending...

I feel like I use that reasoning for everything with Disney- “it’s expensive but compared to the entire trip it’s not that bad...”. My husband jokes that there should be a meme of Mickey sticking a foreclosure sign in someone’s yard saying “but it’s worth it!”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter