Surviving Summer 2019 at Disneyland!

Personally with this plan I’d buy the Disneyland maxpass pre-paid tickets through Disney web site as soon as 2019 tickets are available.

Will have to wait at least one more week. Going back to school this week, and I have to check when I have to be back for the year 2019-2020. Probably school won't start again till the 7th of September, however, the 2 weeks before the school starts you have a chance to re-take exams you missed or didn't pass.

I was just thinking, I think I read that regarding the opening of (I believe it was) the new Fantasyland in WDW, an imagineer said in an interview that they always had an opening date X, but it was Disney PR causing confusion in the media making it seem there was going to be an earlier opening date. However in reality for the imagineers it had never changed and it was always date X.

Could be I read it on the Dis ;-)

Looking at historical discounts on Disneyland hotel rooms in August, they were always on Sun-Thu nights. Right now, we have booked offsite Wed-Sat nights (but right across the street) for half the price of the DL rack rates. Should I rearrange my plans to be more weekdays or is there no hope for discounts anyway because of SW?

So we decided Mid-July with 3 day Park Hoppers & Max Pass. Used our Chase Ultimate rewards to book a package at Tropicana and park tix. Wish we could add a couple of character meals, but they aren’t offering that with 2019 packages (yet?). Excited, but nervous...I hate crowds, heat and have zero interest in a Star Wars, lol... but the dates worked and I’m curious :)

May I add another clue why it might be the first week of June?
Adventures by Disney offers 2 Disneyland tours, a 4 and 6 day one. The 4 day tour is not scheduled all summer. The 6 day tour is scheduled all summer, except the first week of June.
Not sure if it is a clue, but I can imagine that it's all hands on deck for opening week and extra backstage tours/VIP tours are not convenient for this.

Last edited:

Is it the quality inn on Manchester? Have you checked the prices at desert inn & suites? The toilet was dirty when we stayed at quality in.
idr my husband found one and booked it, but after looking at everything we are going to WDW for the summer instead. thanks for the heads up though!

Watching this thread for sure. I am planning to go (likely solo) next summer for 4 or 5 days and want to book a hotel soon! Trying to decide between sometime in August, or right after Labor Day. Is there any rumors of or thoughts on a possible Star Wars themed resort-wide event (like Pixar Fest)? I wouldn't want to go after Labor Day and miss any of those festivities, if that's the case.

Put me in the camp that thinks they are opening in late June. I think they want those DAP blocked. Also, it seems they would wait until after grad nites since they kept the DL option .

I've booked ahead to next summer already because it seems to me that every year around the December holidays, folks suddenly start thinking ahead to their summer vacations, and decide to book all at once. A couple of years ago, I started booking refundable reservations for summer in November because by January rates went up at some off-site hotels. Out of perhaps paranoia, I decided the other day to just book for July now--given Star Wars Land opening--even though our summer plans might change a bit. I honestly think (though I hope I'm wrong) that hotels as far out as Knott's Berry Farm are going to be inundated, so I booked that leg of our trip, too. Given that most hotel reservations can be cancelled within a few days or a week before check-in, I think it's worth it to do it now if you're even considering a summer 2019 DLR trip. (But maybe I'm too much of planner!)

I would be shocked if they didn't make access to Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge a separate ticket or, at a minimum, an expensive add-on to existing tickets. Given the demand for access to the new land, there is no way they won't be sure to capitalize on it. I do agree that there will be some sort of special offering for Guests staying on property, again, because they are going to want to fill the rooms at the Disney-owned resorts. I can see even locals booking those rooms just for the purpose of getting access to the new land during exclusive hours.

We just got back from Disneyland last month and thought we were going to skip a year and let the Stars Wars opening craziness settle down....until yesterday when my husband told the kids we're going to go in August 2019! I'm astonished because he was dead set against going anytime next year. My kiddo is going to a basketball tournament in San Diego Aug 8-11 so we will most likely go to Disneyland the 12th-17th. We'll probably stay off site unless there's a huge advantage to staying on site and then we'd maybe do a split stay. Eek! Excited yet scared for the crowds.

We have a trip planned for the end of July since we'll be in San Diego for a wedding. I'd love to avoid the SWGE madness (I'm not that into Star Wars... eek), but since we're flying in from Canada it's harder to say no to an opportunity to visit Disney since they don't come around too often! Plus, the bride is hoping to do a girls' day in the park while the groom and his friends are off on his bachelor party. Looking at hotels, I was horrified by how high some of the rates were (the Canadian dollar doesn't help) but we locked in the Candy Cane Inn at a pretty good price.

Jumping into this thread!

We have a 1 bedroom villa booked for Aug 18-23 to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary! DH took me to DL for my first DL trip on our honeymoon so there was no way we were not going to head down for our 20th. Add to that SWGE, our son's 14th birthday and starting his first year of high school and you have a big celebration planned! party:

We have typically gone down the last week of August but a good friend's 50th birthday is on the 25th so we had to be home by then. I would have preferred to not be there right around D23 but that week really was our best choice.

We usually don't book DL this far in advance but I really wanted to get the DVC rental arranged as early as possible. Now I have all this time to wait and nothing to plan! We're going to do the Napa Rose chef's counter for our anniversary, this will be our 3rd time there but the first time for our son. We were also talking about booking the WOC dessert party again but that will have to wait until WOC actually comes back.

Aladora, we did our honeymoon and 20th at DLR too! :cloud9:

Ok, need some advice on dates! We want to go in September and we planning 9/1-6, but it looks like socal select APs return 9/3. Do we need to pick another week?

Following this thread! We’ve started talking about July 12-14. There’s a conference that weekend at the Grand, so I can get some of the trip reimbursed. My employer won’t pay for the conference until January, but I’m wondering if I should book the hotel earlier. I’m also getting concerned about any closures that would affect on-site guests, since I’ll be in a conference every day until noon. This will be our first trip to DL; living in Ohio, it’s an easier trip to DW.

I’m going to be following along as well. :) We are planning for mid July and staying at DI&S. I think we may be a little crazy planning a trip this summer, but here we go!! Our last trip was summer 2017, so I’m ready to get back to DL.

... We want to go in September and we planning 9/1-6, but it looks like socal select APs return 9/3. Do we need to pick another week?
Are you flexible with dates? If you can pick another week, I would. I would expect the first week that SoCal Select APs are allowed back to DL (after being blocked from SWGE all summer) to be a zoo. The mornings should be okay, but the later afternoons and evenings will get crowded!

Are you flexible with dates? If you can pick another week, I would. I would expect the first week that SoCal Select APs are allowed back to DL (after being blocked from SWGE all summer) to be a zoo. The mornings should be okay, but the later afternoons and evenings will get crowded!
Yes, that extra holiday would've been nice to save vacation time, but not if it's gonna be nuts. So I guess we'll wait another week or 2. Seems most refurbs are done by the 3rd week of Sept, right?

[QUOTE="Jperiod, post: 59873921, member: 195517"... Seems most refurbs are done by the 3rd week of Sept, right?[/QUOTE]
By the third week of Sept., Halloween Time should have started. So the decorations will be up in both parks. HMH and SMGG should be running. And the Halloween parties might be going by then, too.

I have not bought plane tickets but we are looking at going mid august 12-17. What are the odds the park is going to hit max capacity?? We always leave in the hottest part of the day. It would be pretty lame to get locked out. I am pretty nervous about the crowds.

I would honestly rather go at Spring Break, but I am having a grandbaby in Feb so that will not be good timing for us to go away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!