Sushi for first timer

helenk

I wish I was in Disney World
My son (age 20) wants to try sushi while we are at epcot. I thought we do this at lunch. Is the Matsunoma lounge our best bet or the Tempura Kiku?
What should he try? what is the difference between "regular" sushi and the california rolled sushi?

Matsunomah and Tempura Kiku sushi come from the same place. As far as I can tell, they share a kitchen and the offerings are likely similar if not identical. We ate at TK a few weks ago and I had the sushi deluxe platter- nice sample of sushi that was fresh and delectable. I suggest that. A "california roll" is just a type of sushi, not a different breed- crab (sometimes fake) meat with avocado and sometimes a little cream cheese or mayo to bind. Maki (rolled) sushi is not made in little bite-sized portions, but rather long rolls with a mixture inside .

There are also little blocks of rice topped with a slice of fish/egg/roe/squid/etc on top called Nigiri. I like them both and cannot say I prefer one over the other, but I'm definitely no sushi connoisseur.

Here's a website that might be useful:
http://www.eatsushi.com/demos.asp
as well as this FAQ: http://www.sushifaq.com/

Great stuff at TK, much better than any other version I've had.
Enjoy!
Andrew

Thank you for your help. I was able to get alot of info from the websites as well.
I think the the TK maybe a better choice because I do not want to try the sushi and the TK has more variety for me.

The Tempura Kiku is one of my favorite places to eat in the World Showcase...You can watch them prepare your food, and the service is extremely friendly. If sushi's not your thing, go for the tempura...it's fresh and delicious! Just be advised that it's a small place, and it's patterned after a traditional Japanese tempura joint...that means communal seating.

I'm afraid I didn't find the Matsunoma Lounge sushi particularly good-I don't know if it's the ideal place for a first-time experience.
It was tame and not FRESH-fresh-(it just didn't have that resilience-for lack of a better description- of texture.) It may have been an off night...

Just some other options...

I've read good things about CG's and Kimono's sushi-though've never been-and am anxious to try their's.

For a first-timer I'd recommend ordering ebi (parboiled shrimp), tako (octopus), tamago (sweet egg, almost like a dessert), anything vegetarian, or a California roll. They're all very mild and the shrimp/octopus are generally somewhat cooked. If he's brave, a raw fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel are good choices) can be quite the experience. Be sure to try the pickled ginger that comes with it...truly a refreshing taste!

I just got into sushi recently. When I first tried it, others suggested I try the rolls. Rolls are raw fish, rice and other ingredients rolled together. I prefer rolls because the flavors blend and it kind of disguises the texture of raw fish. Some good rolls to start with might be a california roll, tuna roll, or salmon roll.

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

not all rolls contain raw fish. Usually shrimp and crab are cooked (Eel too Ibelieve).

Have him try one with cooked fish first. If he likes that then he can move on to somthing else. My favorites are spicy shrimp, salmon skin and snow crab.

my first sushi try was a tuna roll...while driving! Wow....it was sooooo good.

For a first try I'd probably go with California/crab rolls, or shrimp rolls (particularly if you're not fond of the idea of raw fish) or a vegetarian roll. Tuna and salmon are good too....and I haven't really been much more adventurous than that. We will be eating at the California Grill and would like to drop by Kimonos at some point on our next trip. I've read that Kimonos has some of the best sushi around.

The person who first got me to try sushi topped it with wasabi and pickled ginger.....so that's how I generally eat it. There are so many different flavors that just jump out....its like culinary fireworks (not hot, unless you use too much wasabi...but an explosion of flavors!) Sooo good.

Just watch out...the stuff is addictive. I feel fortunate that I don't have a good sushi restaurant nearby....I'd go broke!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter