SW 1.3 released

aengus

<font color=blue>Official Head VMK Cheerleader!</f
the 1.3 was released. Its pretty impressive all the changes. This is from their blog (some pictures edited out to meet the post requirements)

March 26th, 2009 by SmallWorlds Chronicle
Finnbjörn Sigurbjornsson stared at the whiteboard and reflected just how far away he was from his native Iceland. His current position at SWHQ in New Zealand was head of the New Release Names Committee (along with his colleagues Jenny ‘the daredevil’ James, and Stuart ‘go easy now’ Blake). They were working on their latest brilliant creation. The team had had many grueling sessions over the past week - Jenny had suggested some completely bizarre names for the new release, trying to convince him to go with things like “Lightning Bolt” or “Superfusion”. Stuart was not much better, his best attempt was “one point three” and his other version, “one.three”. But time was running out and the pressure was getting to them all. They only had 30 minutes before their decision was expected and they knew that the SmallWorlds team would have high expectations after their last brilliant submission. Then came the miracle Finnbjörn had been praying for. He took the whiteboard pen from Stuart, and knew he was “in the zone” as he wrote what he was sure was the perfect release name. It was simple, it was refined, it was what the release had always wanted to be called. He had defined its very soul.
It’s “1.3″.
Thirty minutes later, Finnbjörn presented the name of the new release to the SmallWorlds team, confident that he’d once again knock their socks off.
To report on all the information she wasn’t able to give you in her Sneak Preview report, here’s SmallWorlds reporter, Honesty Blaize…
The 1.3 Release - A Special Report by Honesty Blaize

Greetings SmallWorlds citizens. It’s here at last! The developers have all heaved a sigh of relief and started talking about taking a night off to catch up on some missed sleep. I even saw Finnbjörn skipping back to his desk after his presentation, looking happy as could be - the man’s a genius, no doubt about it. Let’s go - there’s lots to share…
Space Instancing - now available to all Spaces in SmallWorlds
space.png

When things get busy in a SmallWorlds-owned space, another version or “instance” is created, so that there are no limits on how many people can enjoy that space. This feature is now available to everyone. You can now make your spaces… ‘instanceable’ (if that’s a word), so you can invite all your friends +more to your events and parties.

Fun Spot!

icon-funspot.png
It’s a club with lots of different rooms, each with a multi-player game machine! I’m predicting that the Fun Spot will become as popular as the good ol’ Cue Club - another great space for friends old and new to hang out and have some fun together. Currently, you’ll find lots of Fast Draw machines in there, but there are some more really cool and fun multi-player game machines planned for the next release, so the Fun Spot will just get.. ah… funner.

Welcome to the Aqua Lounge (VIP Club)

Schmooze on in to the newest and most fabulous space in SmallWorlds, the new Aqua Lounge: the first VIP-only space.
aqua-lounge-03.jpg

The Aqua Lounge is a custom-made room with all new artwork, mood lighting and dance floor. It’s totally unique; there’s nothing else like it in SmallWorlds. Many items within it are unavailable for purchase, so it’s distinctive style and appeal will remain exclusive.
aqua-lounge-01.jpg

We’d like to extend a warm welcome to all VIP club members. We’re sure you’ll enjoy your time in the Aqua Lounge. come on down and meet some new and interesting people! We have other VIP club spaces currently in the design phase, and look forward to bringing those to you in the future.

New Kitchen Items - It’s Marble all the way!

Time for a kitchen redesign? Here’s some awesome marble top items plus a rangehood for a really luxurious ‘chef quality’ kitchen experience.
rangehood.jpg

kitchen-02.jpg
kitchen-01.jpg
kitchen-03.jpg

New oven / cooktop options to fit in with the fab new kitchen decor -
kitchen-04.jpg
kitchen-05.jpg

I also overheard whispers about some other kitchen items being released soon, so start swapping those recipes now so you’re all prepared!

Shadows and Lighting

In my Sneak Preview report, I told you about the amazing new lighting effects. To summarize: rooms can be dark, with lit areas, lighting in a room can change as the day progresses, light can be tinted (colored), and objects that emit light (eg: lamps) will light the areas around them. These new lighting effects are really something special!
Just a warning for you, though… if you use lots of lights it can chew up your PC’s processing power, and make things run pretty slow. If you’re having problems with what is commonly referred to as ‘lag’, here’s a couple of simple things you can do right now to reduce it:

• Close any other windows you have open
  • Make your SmallWorlds window smaller (a new button allows you to do this easily - see details in the Resizeability section below)
The next blog is going to focus in much more detail on this topic so you can learn what causes ‘lag’ and how you can minimize it. Watch out for it in your copy of the SmallWorlds Chronicle in the next few days.
Here’s a few scenes utilizing the new lighting effects, to hopefully fan the flames of your virtual interior designer:
using-lighting-2.png

using-lighting-1.png

Hand Held lighting items

Something that was kept tightly under wraps really is cool - and I know you guys will love it too!
New Hand Held lighting items are available! Check these out. On the left, the green glo stick, and below, matches, a hand held flaming torch and a flashlight!
composite-handheld-pic.png

All these items are available in Mysterios for all of your personal handheld lighting requirements.

Funky New Lighting Fixtures

We’ve got some great new lighting fixtures; a modern table lamp, a modern floor lamp, and a white wall sconce. Visit Modern Living to purchase.
light-02.jpg
light-03.jpg

Dance Studio Update - VIP

Now, create three dances for your VIP Club Avatar! Once you’ve created them, you can choose to dance one straight after the other while you are in-world and strut your stuff in ways never been seen before in SmallWorlds!
composite-dance-shot1.png

Summary of other new features:

There were many other exciting features profiled in my 1.3 Sneak Preview report a week ago. Further social network integration, Improvements to the SmallWorlds Chronicle, Resizeability and an improved Missions User Interface. Rather than explaining them in full once again, I’ve been a little more brief here. If you’d like more detail, please do check back on the 1.3 Sneak Preview blog edition. More detailed information awaits you there on all items below.

Extending Social Network Integration

myspace1.png
There’s now added newsfeed for FaceBook and Bebo, and we’ve also added Opensocial based network MySpace; now MySpace users can add SmallWorlds as an application on their MySpace page!

Improvements to the SmallWorlds Chronicle

An improved “Enter World” . Now you can select your avatar and your pet from the newspaper.
It’s easy to access the Chronicle without leaving the room you’re in, by clicking the Launch Chronicle button from the gray icons toolbar while you’re in-world.

Improved missions User Interface

composite-mission-dialogue.png

Rich Text Editor in missions panel (dialogue boxes seen by players when doing the mission) - you can add boldness, italics, underlining and change the font color.
Mission Dialogue Box Style Options - you can now choose between three options for the mission dialogue box: medieval, futuristic, and present day (illustrated left).

Resizeability

Smallworlds 1.2 displays a larger area than version 1.1. Sure, this looks great, but lets face it, it can be a lot slower on older PCs. Smallworlds 1.3 gives you the ability to easily switch between the smaller and larger display areas simply by clicking on the minimize button at the bottom right of the window.
A wee hint for our next release:
For some of you running around in SmallWorlds furiously completing missions and levelling up, you might be wanting a little more than just a sit-down to recover?… perhaps even somewhere to freshen up a little? My lips are sealed…

A Banquet of new features

So there you have it, SmallWorlds citizens. A veritable banquet of new features to chew on! SmallWorlds really does keep getting better and better, and I can say without a grain of doubt that there’s a lot more where that came from. These Kiwis are a clever bunch and you can keep expecting more & better from SmallWorlds; but you’ve probably already come to that conclusion, without me having to tell you. I’m looking forward to bringing you my next SmallWorlds report - I bid you farewell and trust you’ll enjoy Release 1.3!
~ Honesty Blaize

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter