SW changing to dynamic pricing for Early Bird?

Now I know why they changed the next release date from 8/16 to 8/30. Not happy about the increase, it seems like they need to underwrite the free luggage.

Thanks for sharing this. Eh, that's the way the world works is the way I see it. Not thrilled about potentially paying $80 more per round trip for a family of 4, but if it still comes out as the cheapest option, what other choices am I left with?

Not happy with the increase but will just build it in to the price I am paying. What bothers me most is I will pay the price for me and my husband while others continue to cheat the system.

Hmm. I hadn’t even thought about that. I figured less people might buy it. But you’re right, this might just make buying for 1 person & then saving seats even more popular.

Hmm. I hadn’t even thought about that. I figured less people might buy it. But you’re right, this might just make buying for 1 person & then saving seats even more popular.

Oh yeah. That's a nasty one. Me being a 260 pound powerlifter, I like looking for those sorts of people and then just sitting next to them. I have never had anyone say anything to me, and I bet next time their whole party just paid the upcharge. I'm sure that's more the exception than the rule, though.

Oh man, I want to board with you! :thumbsup2

I have seen people saving whole rows, including 1 preboard & her companion who saved the 3rd seat in their first row & the whole 2nd row behind them. They brought their companions purses & had 4 purses on the seats. I wasn’t about to touch those. And my DH is a totally nonconfrontational guy. So even if my instinct is to sit in a saved seat, he won’t. So I just move along to keep peace in my own family.

Maybe one of these days I’ll start upgrading to the 1 - 15 spots & save a seat for DH. Unless you’re on my flight. :rotfl2:

Oh man, I want to board with you! :thumbsup2

I have seen people saving whole rows, including 1 preboard & her companion who saved the 3rd seat in their first row & the whole 2nd row behind them. They brought their companions purses & had 4 purses on the seats. I wasn’t about to touch those. And my DH is a totally nonconfrontational guy. So even if my instinct is to sit in a saved seat, he won’t. So I just move along to keep peace in my own family.

Maybe one of these days I’ll start upgrading to the 1 - 15 spots & save a seat for DH. Unless you’re on my flight. :rotfl2:

Wow! Can the staff do something about it? I am sure it would be challenging to manage, but one person = 1 seat. Done. I guess I am being naïve. We fly on Monday on a sold out flight. Should be fun.

Wow! Can the staff do something about it? I am sure it would be challenging to manage, but one person = 1 seat. Done. I guess I am being naïve. We fly on Monday on a sold out flight. Should be fun.

Southwest has no real policy on seat saving. Pretty much if there isn't a person in the seat you are free to take it, as long as you are willing to deal with a bit of a confrontation.

But then again my last flight on Southwest they told us the flight was no where near full and to spread out. And wouldn't you know it, some lady was having a hissy because I was on the aisele and had my bag on the center seat. And a quick glance showed many empty seats.

I don’t mind paying the extra as long as I am in the A group - I have in the high B group out of MCO although I paid for early bird and stuck behind all the family boarding - if they would limit family boarding to 1 adult and children under 5 it wouldn’t be so bad - but when you have mom/dad/eligible child/older brother and sister along with grandparents all boarding it seems unfair to pay extra and still not get in the A group

I don’t mind paying the extra as long as I am in the A group - I have in the high B group out of MCO although I paid for early bird and stuck behind all the family boarding - if they would limit family boarding to 1 adult and children under 5 it wouldn’t be so bad - but when you have mom/dad/eligible child/older brother and sister along with grandparents all boarding it seems unfair to pay extra and still not get in the A group
Except you don't know that you'll get A when you buy it. We've had high B before with EBCI. Although thankfully not coming out of Orlando. I do see that being a bigger issue.

Do you know that they didn't all pay for Early Boarding, though? As a family of 4, we all pay for it just to make sure we are sitting close to one another because I can't fit in those bathrooms along with a kid.

Why would anyone stand in the family boarding line if they had bought early boarding? I realize that I could get a high B but I would like to either have all the Early Boarding Payees get on the plane prior to the open call Family boarding or the gate personnel to enforce that only one 1 adult with children under the age of 5 board and make the rest of the extended family board wherever their boarding pass number dictates.

I don’t mind paying the extra as long as I am in the A group - I have in the high B group out of MCO
The problem is the Southwest business select class that takes A1-15 out of commission. EBCI customers can start no earlier than A16 on any given flight.

The problem is the Southwest business select class that takes A1-15 out of commission. EBCI customers can start no earlier than A16 on any given flight.
True, but some of those first 15 slots may remain empty, if the business select class doesn't sell out.

They have tried to limit it at times (saying only parents and child, not grandma, Grandpa, etc). But the parents will just save seats anyway. Of course could confront them, but would probably hear a bunch of whining about 'special trip'.

Know attendants aren't paid enough to stop the seat saving.

Worst part about SW, the unassigned seating... Just causes stress and arguing... As well as the person walking up and down the aisle when the plane is full looking for a magical seat to appear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter