Swap meet

glassslipper2004

DIS Veteran
Any tips? We are going tomorrow after a Pearl Harbor tour, should get there by around noon. We will be able to park? Are there fun food options for lunch? I think we are mostly looking for jewelry and souvenirs for friends, and to see overall what it is like. Your thoughts are welcome (and thanks to all who left me restaurant advice yesterday)!

By the way I’m at Aulani now, happy to answer questions.

I've never been to the meet but I've read about it here on the forum. I believe there are food trucks and if I'm not mistaken it closes late afternoon.

Plenty of room to park at the swap meet. Some, but not a lot of food options. You really don't need to cover the entire area since the booths seem to repeat themselves.

We always go once a trip, but go early! It gets hot. We bring a small cooler with cold water for when we get back to the car.

Food there is awful. We get lunch in Pearl City or Kapolei on our way back (usually sushi).

Prices are cheap. Tee shirts end up being like $3 each (check each one, as they're often seconds so may at times have flaws). Cheap beach towels, little souvenirs, I always go to this one booth where a husband and wife from Croatia make lovely soaps and candles, which are like 1/3 the price that they are in the gift shops for the same ones. I stock up on them for gifts back home.

I'm in agreement that it was a one and done for us. We weren't impressed. Many of the booths had the same items and the food booths were surrounded by flies. The trinkets and souvenirs were good prices, but they were redundant of things we saw elsewhere on the island and at the ABC Stores.

Also agree that the food options are awful. Anna Miller's is nearby which we enjoyed - cheap, diner style food. Kevin & John from the Dis Unplugged podcast recommended it which is why we went.

In all my trips to Oahu, I have not done the Swap Meet. JMHO, but I much prefer local farmers markets, craft shows, church bazaars, etc., as I REALLY like to buy local. What I have repeatedly heard from many sources is that much of what is at the Swap Meet is imported from China. I attend the swap meet on Maui, and though I have to watch there to check that items are locally made, it is a MUCH smaller scale operation and primarily locally made and locally grown items. I pick up the most gorgeous produce and flower bouquets there as well as souvenirs!

Not in any way putting down anyone going to the swap meet, btw. If someone wants cheap souvenirs, and doesn't care where they are made, it's likely the place to go. Nice thing is, there are always lots of options so there's something for everyone, yes? :flower3:

I went when I was there in 2012 and I remember there being plenty of parking. I do not remember a large food selection, though that was several years ago. As others have mentioned there is not much shade, it gets hot and a lot of the items repeat the more you walk around.

If you are looking for the best deal, I would not buy at the first place, as you can likely find others selling similar items. There are some unique and local made things. I bought a wood carved octopus that was a great price compared to everything similar I saw the entire trip. My husband, mother in law and I enjoyed it, felt we got some good deals on gifts, etc. Plus it was an experience. It is very large though and I believe it winds down in the afternoon, so in order to cover the majority of it, you will want to get there as soon as you can. Have fun!

In all my trips to Oahu, I have not done the Swap Meet. JMHO, but I much prefer local farmers markets, craft shows, church bazaars, etc., as I REALLY like to buy local. What I have repeatedly heard from many sources is that much of what is at the Swap Meet is imported from China. I attend the swap meet on Maui, and though I have to watch there to check that items are locally made, it is a MUCH smaller scale operation and primarily locally made and locally grown items. I pick up the most gorgeous produce and flower bouquets there as well as souvenirs!

Not in any way putting down anyone going to the swap meet, btw. If someone wants cheap souvenirs, and doesn't care where they are made, it's likely the place to go. Nice thing is, there are always lots of options so there's something for everyone, yes? :flower3:

FWIW, there were multiple vendors with locally made items. Lots of baked goods, flavored mac nuts, some pottery, etc. There were several booths with cheap little trinkets likely made in China, but a fair amount of locally made items as well. I think that's the essence of the swap meet, but even still, I wouldn't recommend it. Wasn't worth the trip for us.

When we lived on Oahu, I used to do lots of holiday shopping there. You never know what you'll find.

Like I said, though, we do not eat there. We go early and then go out to lunch. We like lots of places in Pearl City. There's a Korean place, think it's Jin Ro? Really good food. And a sushi place we found last trip that was excellent conveyor belt sushi (but still not as good as Sushi Bay in Kapolei, but close). My husband is Korean, and the kids love Korean food, so the one in a strip mall in Pearl City we've gone to over the years is really good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!