Sweet 16 trip to Anaheim and LA

minnie1012

DIS Veteran
We are headed to California in the beginning of August for a vacation/my daughter's sweet 16. The last time I was there I was 13 so I don't remember much at all. We would like to spend a few days in Anaheim at Disneyland and then the rest in the LA area. Some things she would like to do in LA are: Universal Studios, Warner Bros studio tour, Celebrity home tour, beach day either Venice (she is very artsy) or Santa Monica or both if possible. She would also like to maybe go to the Grove and the walk of fame. I had a few questions and if anyone has any tips that would be great!

Anaheim first or second? With Star Wars opening will it be packed if go first and it's the weekend? I also heard the Warner Bros tour is better on a weekend.

Where should we stay in LA? I would prefer not to say in the heart of the city because my husband isn't a big fan of cities (we live in NJ and he isn't a fan of NY at all). I also don't want to be too far out because I know the traffic is awful. Is there something right outside the city where he could see some palm trees and not buildings? lol.

Anything else my daughter might like to see? She is as huge music fan, is into video production and editing, Broadway musical fan, loves the beach.

Where to eat? Any place fun or just great places to go in general? She does want to go to In and Out that is all we have on our list (of course). She has a nut allergy so have to take note of that when we pick places to eat.

Since Los Angeles stretches for hours in every direction you aren't going to really get out of the city to stay. But staying near a beach would give you a little less city and a nicer view with some palm trees!

You might see if something good is playing at the Disney concert hall in LA.

Warner Bros. Tour could be done on either weekday or weekend. If your daughter is into video production I'd actually vote for going during the week to see the studio at work.

If your teen is a La La Lan fan like mine definitely take her to Griffith Observatory.

PHXscuba

We did this trip when my daughter was 14. She's also a big fan of video production and editing, taking this and technical theater in HS. We stayed at the Leows Hollywood for two nights and Disneyland three nights. We had limited time, but saw the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Warner Bros, Staples Center (for her brother) in LA and then Huntington Beach and Disneyland in the OC for three. We want to go back for Paramount, Griffith Observatory and Park, LACMA, and the beaches. I would seriously consider a day biking from Santa Monica to Venice Beach or vice versa. She'll love this trip!

These recent threads might help you:
Mini trip report & video of LA/Hollywood/Santa Monica Pier
LA/Hollywood video
That poster did many of the things you are wanting to do -- also for a Sweet 16 trip for her daughter. You might be able to send her a PM with any specific questions.
Yes, that was me. My daughter loved our summer trip and we returned in September for her 16th whirlwind birthday weekend of all her favorites. She never got around to making a birthday video but we added Beverly Hills to our agenda. She wanted to eat at The Ivy in Beverly Hills and they were super nice and made her feel special. (it was expensive but worth it) We went back to The Grove for shopping and birthday dinner and we did a different Hollywood tour than in the video but it was pretty much the same just went a different direction. Then we were back to Disneyland for a few days.

Yes, that was me. My daughter loved our summer trip and we returned in September for her 16th whirlwind birthday weekend of all her favorites. She never got around to making a birthday video but we added Beverly Hills to our agenda. She wanted to eat at The Ivy in Beverly Hills and they were super nice and made her feel special. (it was expensive but worth it) We went back to The Grove for shopping and birthday dinner and we did a different Hollywood tour than in the video but it was pretty much the same just went a different direction. Then we were back to Disneyland for a few days.

Thank you both, I will check it out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!