swimsuits for babies?

crusoe2

DIS Veteran
We're taking our DD to WDW in June and would like to spend some time in the pool. Our DD will be almost 6 months old by then so of course she will have to wear a swim diaper but I was wondering what to put over it. All the swimsuits I've found were either for 12 months and up or they had the built-in swim diaper and I don't think she's ready for that alone. I know I could just let her wear the swim diaper alone but I would really like for her to be a little more covered for additional sun protection. Anyone have any suggestions? (As you can tell I haven't dealt with this issue before - my oldest is a boy and was really big for his age so I was always able to find swim trunks for him.) Thanks in advance.:)

I've always found little swimsuits at Baby Gap and Gymboree, maybe try there.

crusoe2, I know where you are coming from. My DD is 9 months, my first child! I bought her a cute little one-piece from Baby Gap and I love it! She loves it too, I think it's comfortable enough for her. I would suggest Baby Gap, I love their clothes and in my opinion they're very durable clothing... she still wears clothes from there that she wore at 6 months, a little snug but still nice and comfy. I was at Gymboree yesterday and bought DD a pair of white sandals, and I did see a good selection of the cutest bathing suits! Check it out.

Just a question, I have yet to go buy the swim diaper. Could you tell me how yours is and where you got it? Also have you asked your pediatrician about using sunblock on her? I'm going to ask mine this week... I'm not sure about it, b/c I read that young babies should not wear sunblock. But I really want to make sure she is protected.

Thanks! If you have any more questions, feel free to PM or email me, jennyhaddow@yahoo.com

Try Target for a wash-able swim diaper. They're much less bulky than the disposables, and they seemed more comfortable for the baby. I never had a baby poop in one, but they could be washed in a sink.

I do not care for the disposable swim suits, I don't know why I just don't. We used disposables our first trip. Yuck. Our second trip I found Swim diapers at our local sporting goods store. They look like little Speedos. I loved them. I went back to try and special order more to no avail. However just yesterday I ran into Babies R US and on an end cap in the front. they had a ton of them adorable styles. I got a lizard one, a Fish one and 2 trucks. You said you have a little girl. they had Like a mint color with Lady bugs. A pink with floral. And A darker pink with flowers and butterflys. I will tell you that they had alot more choices for girls. But as I was looking at boy suits.....I am not to sure of the other girl prints> As I said I used them and Love them. Good Luck. Lauren

Thanks for all the great suggestions. We live in a small town and don't have anything but a Walmart here but I will be headed to the nearest mall in a few days and will check some of the shops you mentioned.

Trinity721, I haven't had a chance to use the swim diapers yet but I can answer your question about the sunblock. I just took my daughter in for her 4 mo. checkup last week and I asked the doctor about using sunblock on her when we go on vacation in June. He said it would be fine even tho she will be about a week shy of 6 months. He feels the benefits of the protection outweigh the risks. Of course, we will test it on a small area first just to be safe.

Thanks again for all the info - would love to hear any other suggestions anyone might have.:)

At that age I just used the swim diaper with a "onesie" or tshirt to make sure the baby didn't get too much sun.

You can certainly find adorable swim suits for babies, but I can be amazingly cheap when it comes to buying something my kid will wear twice before they outgrow - I'd rather just make do.

We've done the non-disposable swim diaper thing as well. They work good (are better and holding runny poop) - and are a bargain if you are going to swim a lot. The biggest issue is that they do need to be washed - rather than just tossing it if it get soiled - putting a new one on and being back in the pool in five minutes.

i got my dd's swimsuit at www.babybellebottoms.com. it is one with a swim diaper built in and it is soooo cute! Cathy is wonderful to work with, and i like the built in swim diapers better than disposable. much cheaper and they are better for the environment!

i just took a peek and the swim diapers are on sale!

I know EXACTLY what you mean about only finding 12 month and up bathing suits. I was searching the stores for a few weeks before our trip. I did finally find one at Gymboree and it was on sale for only $12.00. After all the searching for the suit, I never had the chance to take her in the pool while we were at WDW.
She did get swim naked last weekend. We were at my DS's swimming lessons and the teacher asked if she could take Sam in with her. I said yes but I did not have any swim diapers for her. She took her in butt naked. It was just too cute. I wish I had my camerea. :p

Trinity721--sunblock is okay. We took my 3 yr old (then 2 months) to Seaworld with his big brothers and my pedi said yes I could use sunblock. We just used a little--he was in a stroller with a cover but still I wanted to be carfeful. We also took ds #4 (then 5 months old) to Disney last Sept and she again said I could use the sunblock on him. Again it was just a little and not an every day type thing.

At that age I just used the swim diaper with a "onesie" or tshirt to make sure the baby didn't get too much sun.

I did the same thing with my oldest. By the time the youngest came around, the grandparents had sent swimsuits for my oldest that were now way too small, so my youngest actually gets swimsuits over the swim diapers.

I am also a proponent of sunscreen. Youngest DD was 6 months when we took her to WDW the first time. She is a blue-eyed blonde with porcelain skin. I slathered on the sunscreen (being careful to keep it off hands and away from eyes) and kept her in the shade as much as possible. I even used some sheer material to rig a cover screen for the stroller. Last week, we were at the beach and she starting burning after 30 minutes in the sun with SPF 45 (she is now 18mo). She will always have to be careful!!

When my dd was smaller, we got some washable swim diapers from One Step Ahead. I think they have a website OneStepAhead.com, they also have TONS of other stuff in there that we found useful on our trips with a small child.

Our youngest is now 2, and I STILL use a onesie on her. We have a pool in the yard, the girls are out there daily. It gives her great sun protection! Better than trying to figure out if she needs more sunblock, less block. She is sensitive to both the sun and the block, so can't overdue it. One of the catalogs sells mini-wet suits for young 'uns. Our eldest really liked that suit. (I did too. Covered up her body quite nicely!) :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter