Switching from POP to the Double Tree questions

abbyandangel

Mouseketeer
I just booked a Double Tree suite through Mousesavers. We are staying 12 nights me, DH, and DD age 17. With the discount it is the same price as our pop century reservation. Anyone have experience at Double Tree? Which would you keep?

We've stayed at both. With my older daughter we enjoy having our own space at the end of the day. The Double Tree suite rooms are larger than the Pop and my DD loves the closeness to Disney Springs (we usually walk to and then take a bus back). My DD sleeps on the couch at Double Tree so we parents often will ask for a king bed. They have a bus, we also recommend using Uber if you don't have a car.
Pop is a cute resort, we do like the room refurbishments. I tend to ask for a lake view on the top floor.

The suites at the DoubleTree are twice the size of a room at Disney's Pop Century Resort. It's 520 square feet versus 260 square feet (158 vs 79 square meters). That's a huge difference, especially for 12 nights.

The DoubleTree Suites is my preferred hotel when visiting Disney World. I stay there 12 to 20 nights each year. Any minor problems (dead TV remote, forgotten shampoo) get fixed with a single phone call. In the 80+ nights I've stayed there, I've only experienced one major problem. The hotel was evacuated due to a smoking microwave in a guest room and I missed a meeting. The hotel went above and beyond to try to help me, even though I think the fire was due to guest negligence and not a faulty microwave.

As DisHmsklMom notes, there is a bus system, but it operates a little differently than Disney buses. Make sure you understand how it works prior to arriving to avoid surprises:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-springs-hotels-bus-information.3653605/

Aside from extra space in the room, one of the other benefits of the DoubleTree Suites is that it's walking distance to off-site dining. You can walk to places like McDonalds, Taco Bell, Perkins, and more. What great about those places is that they have "normal" pricing. So, you don't have to pay $13 for a burger (with no drink) at the Disney food court.

Finally, the other benefit of the DoubleTree Suites is that it has interior entry guest rooms. While some people won't care, I hate only having a window that looks out on an exterior walkway. I feel like I have to keep my curtains closed when I'm in the room. Almost all rooms at the DoubleTree Suites have windows in both the living room and bedroom. If you're spending any time in your room, being able to have natural light is helpful.

We haven't stayed here yet, but did stay at The B and think that with the money you save, Disney Springs hotels are definitely worth it even though not "on property". We also booked the Doubletree on a mousesavers deal. You can't beat it. Although the bus service "might" take a little longer, we didn't find it a problem from The B. We used Lyft a lot, very reasonable especially with the money you save staying at a DS hotel. It looks really nice and LOVE that it is a suite, with a separate sleeping area. a little kitchenette, dining table with 4 chairs, and lots of space.

I have stayed at both properties and for a stay that long I would definitely go with the DoubleTree. Having a separate bedroom and living area makes your stay much more pleasant. Also, as others have stated, you have a lot more dining options within walking distance.

Thanks for the responses. I thought my DD would be disappointed if we did not stay at POP but she said she would like to stay in the DS area. I like the idea of eating off site.

I have stayed at both several times. I would choose the Doubletree. More space and walking distance to DTD. Lots more space ! And a larger fridge and a microwave.

However , if you need the ME and a food court go with POP.

The only thing I'd add is make sure the price you are comparing has the resort fee factored in - the DT will have a resort fee per night, per room.

I booked the DT with a Mousesavers discount that waived the resort fee and parking fee. All the good info here makes it sound like a plan.

It is a good plan, as long as you have accurate expectations. The DoubleTree Suites is a solid hotel with an above-average staff. But, it is a hotel and not a resort spread across acres of landscaped grounds.

As long as you understand that and how the buses to the theme parks work (if you are using them), you should have a successful trip.

I like the fact that DS hotels are not spread over acres. Its enough that the parks have acres and acres. :earsgirl:

BTW that doesn't mean we don't like some of the on property resorts. We love the Coronado and are staying at the Caribbean this fall. Our maybe someday deluxe is beachclub villas. I just have a hard time spending so much money on something I'm not using much.
On or off property, each has its pros and cons.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter