Switching points at the 7 month mark....

amccu18007

DIS Veteran
Can you make a reservation with a home resort at 11 mos and then switch over to different points at the 7 month mark through MS? Is that allowed?

This is not allowed unless the unit you want is available at the 7 month mark. To switch the points, you would have to cancel the reservation and rebook. You would risk losing the reservation entirely, because it could be reserved by someone else, or could be taken to fill a waitlist spot. If you were willing to take this risk, I would suggest doing it late at night (like 3AM) so that there would not be many people online at the time.

You can only reallocate points if there is still availability left. I sometimes will book a few days at the 7 month window if available then shorten my existing reservation. It doesn't get you all the points back, but some of them. You can call ms and they will reallocate the available days points, but you lose that hour if you call.

In other words: You can't use, for instance, VGF Home Resort points to block availability on a studio, then switch to nice, cheap SSR points at 7 months unless the entire studio booking at VGF would be available at that moment for a new booking by any member.

Simply put, you can't circumvent the 11-month booking window. There's no loophole here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!