Switching Resorts- Cancel original reservation first?

MamaKate

Simply meant to be...
Hello,

I'm currently booked at my home resort. At my 7-month window, I'd like to try and book a different resort if available. My question is, does the system recognize you already have a reservation for the similar dates and automatically ask if you'd like to cancel the original reservation?

Or do I need to first cancel my original reservation and then book the new room? I'm hoping the first scenario is what happens because I don't want to chance not having a reservation. Plus I don't want to book the new reservation without the first reservation being cancelled first because then I'd have to borrow points and I don't want to do that.

Also the new reservation will start 1-day sooner than the original reservation. Does this make a difference?

Hope my question makes sense...

Hello,

I'm currently booked at my home resort. At my 7-month window, I'd like to try and book a different resort if available. My question is, does the system recognize you already have a reservation for the similar dates and automatically ask if you'd like to cancel the original reservation?

Or do I need to first cancel my original reservation and then book the new room? I'm hoping the first scenario is what happens because I don't want to chance not having a reservation. Plus I don't want to book the new reservation without the first reservation being cancelled first because then I'd have to borrow points and I don't want to do that.

Also the new reservation will start 1-day sooner than the original reservation. Does this make a difference?

Hope my question makes sense...
You actually do the modify option on your current reservation. This will allow you to search for a different resort without dropping your current reservation. Once you finalize where you would like to go it cancels the original reservation and books the other, at no point would you be out a room. It is important though it is done be selecting your current Reservation on you "Dashboard" then clicking modify.

Also when changing resorts it will need to be for the entire reservation time window. The system, nor MS, can split the reservation in two in order to guarantee that no nights will lose a room.

Duh! Why didn't I think of that lol. Thank for clearing that up for me. I was seriously overthinking the process...

You actually do the modify option on your current reservation. This will allow you to search for a different resort without dropping your current reservation. Once you finalize where you would like to go it cancels the original reservation and books the other, at no point would you be out a room. It is important though it is done be selecting your current Reservation on you "Dashboard" then clicking modify.

Also when changing resorts it will need to be for the entire reservation time window. The system, nor MS, can split the reservation in two in order to guarantee that no nights will lose a room.

I didn't know about this either. We had a reservation at our home resort at 11 months, but wanted a non-home resort at 7. Since we needed those points to change resorts, I thought we had to wait until MS opened and call. Held my breath for that hour between on-line booking opened and an hour later, when we could call.

I didn't know about this either. We had a reservation at our home resort at 11 months, but wanted a non-home resort at 7. Since we needed those points to change resorts, I thought we had to wait until MS opened and call. Held my breath for that hour between on-line booking opened and an hour later, when we could call.

It's still a pretty new function

I waited to call on a modify also. The rep who I spoke with couldnt care less and was like "you gotta let your reservation go if u dont wanna borrow points" I didnt want to chance it, so I just borrowed. She was so heartless. I was just a #

Just so we all know, you don't need to book all the nights you have already BUT you will lose the nights you do not modify. Example: if you don't need the 1st night just book your last 5 or whatever number of nights. You will just lose that 1st night. This can be done from either in of your ressie. This happened to me earlier this year.
Like crvetter said you can not split the ressie.

I have a question about modifying. I've modified before but it was for the same amount of nights and was easy.

I have an 8 night trip planned for January 3-11. As of now I have 4 nights at SSR and then 4 nights at OKW. At 7 months I'd like to switch the entire 8 nights to one resort if available. If it's more points I will need to borrow. What is the best way to do this? Modify the first 4, wait 4 days, modify the second 4 and then have them linked? Or cancel the OKW portion, modify the 4 nights at SSR to 7 nights somewhere and then call the next day to add the 8th night? Or is there an easier way that I'm not thinking of?

Similar to the last question, does the modification need to be for the same amount of nights?
For example, can a 4-night reservation be modified into a 5-night or a 3-night reservation at a different resort?

Similar to the last question, does the modification need to be for the same amount of nights?
For example, can a 4-night reservation be modified into a 5-night or a 3-night reservation at a different resort?
Yes it can. When you click modify you can select new nights to use it over. However, just remember if you want to modify from a 4 to 3 you will end up at the end with only 1 new 3 day reservation. It will not split the reservation. Modify essentially just holds your current room and lets go of that reservation, completely, if and only if you find another satisfactory reservation (different dates and/or resorts) and make that new reservation.

Yes it can. When you click modify you can select new nights to use it over. However, just remember if you want to modify from a 4 to 3 you will end up at the end with only 1 new 3 day reservation. It will not split the reservation. Modify essentially just holds your current room and lets go of that reservation, completely, if and only if you find another satisfactory reservation (different dates and/or resorts) and make that new reservation.
Thanks so much!
We are looking to lock in our home resort now & at 7 months see if we can find a lower point alternative to eek out an extra night.

I have a question about modifying. I've modified before but it was for the same amount of nights and was easy.

I have an 8 night trip planned for January 3-11. As of now I have 4 nights at SSR and then 4 nights at OKW. At 7 months I'd like to switch the entire 8 nights to one resort if available. If it's more points I will need to borrow. What is the best way to do this? Modify the first 4, wait 4 days, modify the second 4 and then have them linked? Or cancel the OKW portion, modify the 4 nights at SSR to 7 nights somewhere and then call the next day to add the 8th night? Or is there an easier way that I'm not thinking of?

Safest would be to modify each of them individually and then call MS to have them merged into one reservation.

Another option would be to first modify the 4 SSR nights to the new resort. Then wait a day and if the remaining 4 nights are still available to add on there you could cancel the OKW reservation and then modify the reservation of 4 nights into 8 nights. There will of course be a slight timeframe where something at the new resort could disappear.

I waited to call on a modify also. The rep who I spoke with couldnt care less and was like "you gotta let your reservation go if u dont wanna borrow points" I didnt want to chance it, so I just borrowed. She was so heartless. I was just a #
That was completely true before the modify function became available. It wasn’t heartless; it was policy. I did devise a workaround using the online booking system, but that’s unnecessary now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts