T-Rex review. Agree or...?

Ellie Webbs

DIS Veteran
What does everyone think? My parents loved T-Rex and we've done rainforest cafe (meh but the coronarita was awesome)

Thoughts on the review?

Attachments

• P1160645.JPG
    P1160645.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 24
My pre-teen son loves the restaurant. We go for the atmosphere. We've never had a bad meal, but it's definitely not the best food on property. I think you have to manage your expectations. They should have stuck to more "bar" food dishes; Fiasco alluded to that when he mentioned getting just an appetizer and dessert.

For me, T-Rex food is along the lines of your local Chili’s or Applebee’s. Not bad, but not awesome. It’s all about the ambiance with the dinsaurs!

Totally agree. It’s on par with Applebee’s. The kids love it though. Word of advice, get a burger or something simple. Where Fiasco went wrong is he got steak and shrimp. It’s definitely not that type of restaurant.

Agree with all posters that say it's like an Applebee's, or Chi's, or TGI Friday's, with a dinosaur theme. I've been to both T-Rex, and both RainForests in WDW numerous times in the past, as well as other RainForests around the country and other restaurants of that type, like Hard Rock, etc (even went to HR in Canada). All pretty much the same - just OK food, loud, chaotic, probably a bit overpriced for what you get, chairs stuffed in like sardines - like everybody said - you go for the atmosphere.

It's the same way I think about Olive Garden - true Italian food purists/gourmets hate, it, and slam it - as not being up to par, authentic, etc. I go because it's good food - of the type*** I*** eat (not a gourmet type girl, and hate to dress up too!), at fairly reasonable prices. I think the theming is cute, and I love the never ending salad and breadsticks. My more "highbrow:" friends don't, so I don't invite them. :P Each to his own, I say.

Last edited:
it is a fun restaurant and is less expensive than Disney character meals, it’s the best choice for families who still want some themed dining on a budget.

We've been twice but honestly probably won't go back a 3rd time. The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything outstanding either. It's wonderful for the ambiance though, albeit a bit loud. If you like the atmosphere and don't want to eat there, the gift shop is pretty neat, and the sandbox area for kids is a nice place for them to dig around in without needing a dining reservation.

Where Fiasco went wrong is he got steak and shrimp
This. They make a big deal about not reviewing if they didn’t pay. For the younger guys, I have been wondering how their opinion have any difference if Disney or Pete picks up the tab. They aren’t paying either way.
I don’t think I would get a steak and seafood at a place out of pocket like this (and apps and desserts to boot.) I’d probably grab a burger here, just enjoy the dinosaurs, maybe a fun drink to spurge, and save my steak money for a steak restaurant.
Tyler and Katrina had a quasi review they did where they gave a ton of praise to LLL but it came out they had enjoyed over $200 of food because it was free as a media preview. It had little relevance to what regular people would experience.
Sometimes assessing the value of having an entree, and just an entree, especially while park touring, gets lost. I wish they would do a review, quit trying to order the weird, unusual things, instead order what you think you would like, in a budget you consider reasonable, and tell us what you think.

Last edited:
I've never been there. However, based on the photos of the food, I would definitely say it's a sandwich/salad/app/dessert place rather than a steak/entree place.

As far as the reviewers, I love having all the different folks on the reviews. It helps me understand how different people perceive things I might or might not enjoy. Great way to provide diversity without specifically making a big deal of it.

This. They make a big deal about not reviewing if they didn’t pay. For the younger guys, I have been wondering how their opinion have any difference if Disney or Pete picks up the tab. They aren’t paying either way.
Sometimes assessing the value of having an entree, and just an entree, especially while park touring, gets lost. I wish they would do a review, quit trying to order the weird, unusual things, instead order what you think you would like, in a budget you consider reasonable, and tell us what you think.

DUT and DIS are parts of a business, and so Pete is paying his employees to review things. This is similar to a newspaper (back in the day) paying for entertainment reviewers. They don't want to review something if the business BEING REVIEWED has paid because then it appears to be a conflict of interest. As far as unusual things, I think it's great to have someone try a vegetarian option or an odd option so others can see what it actually is. Kylie ordering from the allergy menu is always helpful whether I have allergies or not. Just my thoughts - your mileage may vary.

Anyone else have trouble listening? Checked two podcast players and both played a second copy of Toledo instead of TRex so I haven't been able to hear it.

DUT and DIS are parts of a business, and so Pete is paying his employees to review things. This is similar to a newspaper (back in the day) paying for entertainment reviewers. They don't want to review something if the business BEING REVIEWED has paid because then it appears to be a conflict of interest. As far as unusual things, I think it's great to have someone try a vegetarian option or an odd option so others can see what it actually is. Kylie ordering from the allergy menu is always helpful whether I have allergies or not. Just my thoughts - your mileage may vary.
Sure, sure and I respect that, but sometimes I think ordering with price in mind would reflect a more real experience, sometimes I wish they order more authentically, to create a menu closer to what they would themselves experience. I want to hear your opinions on a meal you would enjoy, with the cameras or without them.
Multi course meals are more events, Corey with tip and tax probably dropped over $70 on that meal correct? And that’s without his wife.
I am just musing about whether folks who spend less time, grab a burger and a Diet Coke, might say something more positive, oh yeah it was fun, good value and good food.
There are a lot of ways to cut it or do it, I like the big meal reviews but sometimes a more regular experience would be nice to see too.

Last edited:
I like how when Craig and Ryno reviewed Bigfire, they purposely ordered items that the restaurant itself claimed were their specialties. This is what these guys should have done here. Order ribs, or burgers. Mushroom ravioli with lobster alfredo sauce is likely NOT something that T Rex Cafe is known for. Interestingly, the dessert they ordered IS a Signature item of the restaurant and they loved that. So, it makes sense to order the most popular items at any given restaurant. Or, at least think about where you are and order accordingly. You don't order steak at these kinds of places, and if you do, you know it will be low quality sirloin that is likely tough. No reason to order that and then complain when it is bad. A tough steak at a steakhouse is unforgivable, but it's par for the course at this type of place.

I like how when Craig and Ryno reviewed Bigfire, they purposely ordered items that the restaurant itself claimed were their specialties. This is what these guys should have done here. Order ribs, or burgers. Mushroom ravioli with lobster alfredo sauce is likely NOT something that T Rex Cafe is known for. Interestingly, the dessert they ordered IS a Signature item of the restaurant and they loved that. So, it makes sense to order the most popular items at any given restaurant. Or, at least think about where you are and order accordingly. You don't order steak at these kinds of places, and if you do, you know it will be low quality sirloin that is likely tough. No reason to order that and then complain when it is bad. A tough steak at a steakhouse is unforgivable, but it's par for the course at this type of place.

I would wager T-Tex isn’t necessarily known for anything. A burger is a burger is a burger, I appreciate the variety they brought to it to see if they could find something good outside the box.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts