Table Service Dinner on day of in Magic Kingdom

Stefien Quix

Mouseketeer
This one's multiple part

So, there's a reasonable chance that, if we end up with all our FPs for the day (instead of doing standby) that we'll have a decent chunk of time around dinner in Magic Kingdom.

Nothing I can plan for obviously though. So, my questions are

1) What's the best way to go about checking around the park for restaurants with an opening? The MDE app? Can you make dinner reservations 'a la minute'?

2) What are the restaurants that are a) likely to be open and b) somehow not be fully booked, yet still worth grabbing some food at? For example, I'm lead to believe Tony's shouldn't be on that list. :laughing:

Thanks!

1) What's the best way to go about checking around the park for restaurants with an opening? The MDE app? Can you make dinner reservations 'a la minute'?

Yes this is the best way and YES this is the way to do it. You could walk up and ask and be told no. Turn around and check the app and make an ADR for 5 min later and be let in the door. Check the app before you even head to a restaurant.

Skipper's Canteen will likely have room. The Plaza could as well. I haven't kept up with when/if The Plaza is taking ADRs. They made a change a few years back and were only doing walk-ups except around lunch time, but I know I've seen people talking about ADRs lately that aren't lunch time. Check into that one.

Liberty Tree and Crystal Palace are both AYCTE and not as likely to have a last-minute ADR. You MIGHT be able to snag a BoG, but remember it is prix fix for dinner and options are limited.

You could definitely get something at an MK resort. Kona at The Poly, Grand Floridian Café, or The Wave at Contempo will probably all have openings and they're only a monorail ride away.

Yes this is the best way and YES this is the way to do it. You could walk up and ask and be told no. Turn around and check the app and make an ADR for 5 min later and be let in the door. Check the app before you even head to a restaurant.

Skipper's Canteen will likely have room. The Plaza could as well. I haven't kept up with when/if The Plaza is taking ADRs. They made a change a few years back and were only doing walk-ups except around lunch time, but I know I've seen people talking about ADRs lately that aren't lunch time. Check into that one.

Liberty Tree and Crystal Palace are both AYCTE and not as likely to have a last-minute ADR. You MIGHT be able to snag a BoG, but remember it is prix fix for dinner and options are limited.

You could definitely get something at an MK resort. Kona at The Poly, Grand Floridian Café, or The Wave at Contempo will probably all have openings and they're only a monorail ride away.

Thank you! Great reply! One question though, what does AYCTE mean?

I'm definitely playing with heading over to a resort as an option, although I was considering just doing counter service in that case since I wasn't counting on being able to make a reservation there. I was thinking Contempo Cafe in that situation. Mostly because I'm not sure I'll have enough flex time to do a table service that also involves a monorail trip (or walk) out to the resort.

We change our plans all of the time while on vacation and usually have no issues finding something on the app. I think you have to book 30 minutes in advance. Also consider getting a snack at one of the bars in the resort hotels. Also look at Open Table. Many of the Disney Springs restaurants and some of the resorts restaurants have tables listed there (no cancellation penalty!)

How about Tony’s Townsquare? We’ve had some good meals there and it is table service but not a buffet (we don’t care for buffets).

Just me but I agree about the going in and out of the park, between the security checkpoint and getting from point A to point B and back it takes time!

How about Tony’s Townsquare? We’ve had some good meals there and it is table service but not a buffet (we don’t care for buffets).

Just me but I agree about the going in and out of the park, between the security checkpoint and getting from point A to point B and back it takes time!

So I haven't been, so I can't speak to it personally, but everywhere I've looked I've seen nothing but awful reviews of Tony's!

So I haven't been, so I can't speak to it personally, but everywhere I've looked I've seen nothing but awful reviews of Tony's!
I just looked at TripAdvisor, as I know things change. Mostly good, of course always a few negative, but that applies to anything, lol

Yes, the MDE app can be your friend in this instance. Last trip we walked up to podium at 50's Prime and was told absolutely not .. there are no tables ... we aren't taking anyone. I literally walked just outside the door, opened the app, booked a time in 10 minutes, turned around walked in and checked in. She blushed then said "oh so you booked on the app?" ................... o_O

It's happened before multiple times, even at MK LTT.

Look at the app but know that MK can be one of the hardest to get a day of reservation. The one likely to always be open is Skipper's Canteen. But be sure to look at those menus/prices because dining at CP, LTT are not cheap meals at dinner. BOG and CRT are expensive & signatures. Plaza is small. Tony's is .......... well, Tony's. I would opt for QS at that point.

You’d have good luck with restaurants at the resorts near the Magic Kingdom. Be sure to look for options at the Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, and Wilderness Lodge.

I feel like people have been saying that Tony's has improved of late. We last dined there 3 or 4 years ago and our meal was fine.

Last trip, we ate at Skipper's Canteen twice for lunch - we enjoyed it that much (it was a nice break, had a nice glass or two of wine with it, and the food wasn't your typical "theme park" or "burger" food). The second time, we were just in Fantasyland, and I pulled it up on the app for 15 minutes later. By the time we walked to the restaurant, it was in their system.

They often have last minute openings there (why I don't know, as it's such a nice change of pace). Definitely use the app (although it's so glitchy, and I have to delete it and download it again from the cloud constantly).

We really enjoyed the Thai noodle dish, the falafel, and my oldest liked the pork dish (think it was char siu or something). Our second time, the server was hilarious (I tweeted his praise to Disney so he'd get acknowledged for his service). Oh, and the sauvignon blanc wine hit the spot too - thank you Disney for finally offering wine at the MK!

Next month we have a trip, just DH and me, and I booked a lunch there again so he can try it (last trip was just me and my kiddos).

Agreeing with those about Skipper Canteen. It's such a nice change of pace compared to the majority of the food options at Magic Kingdom and good prices. There are almost always many available times, even just an hour out.

People on these boards love to hate on Tony's, but a lot of those people last ate at it 5+ years ago. We have eaten there many times since 2016 and it was delicious every time. That said, I think you will have a hard time finding walk-up availability at dinner as (contrary to popular opinion here) it is very popular lately. Jungle Canteen is probably your best bet at decent food with last-minute openings.

People on these boards love to hate on Tony's, but a lot of those people last ate at it 5+ years ago. We have eaten there many times since 2016 and it was delicious every time. That said, I think you will have a hard time finding walk-up availability at dinner as (contrary to popular opinion here) it is very popular lately. Jungle Canteen is probably your best bet at decent food with last-minute openings.

Thanks! It won't ruin our day not to be able to get Table Service dining. We'll be perfectly happy with counter service and using that extra time to wander around. So, if it doesn't happen, it's okay :)

Use the MDE app. As others have said, we have tried to walk up on occassion and told no openings. Gone on the app, put in an ADR for 5 mintues from now. It seems many restaurants don't want walk up like they used to.
I would look at the menus, but we really enjoy Skipper Canteen. Some of the worst meals we have had, have come from Tonys. Now they have a new chef that appears to be trying to improve it from what I have read. I have not tried is since the change in chefs.

If your up for it the boat ride over to wilderness lodge is very nice and you can hit up either whispering canyon cafe which is decent or the outside quick service geyser point which I heard is a very nice place to grab a meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!