Table Service Suggestions

mom4praise

Mouseketeer
I am starting to think about dining for the trip with just my ds(7) and I. He will be 8 when we go and he isn't an overly picky eater, he is however very sensitive to smell (he has sensory processing disorder and smell and hearing are amplified). Looking for suggestions where other single moms have enjoyed dining with their kids. I labeled this Table Service Suggestions, but counter service is good too.

The 1st place that comes to mind is Grand Floridian Cafe, it's rather calm & I found it relaxing. All 3 of my boys enjoyed it as well. There wasn't any powerful food scent either.

My ASD/SPD kid prefers quiet - though he was visually interested enough at Rain Forest Cafe to overcome the sounds. For table service our favorite is probably Tusker House at AK, but we liked Be Our Guest for dinner too. Both kids loved 50's prime time at HS and the french bakery at Epcot. My ds' favorite counter service is The Friar's nook at MK (pot roast mac n cheese). If you are thinking character meals, avoid Chef Mickey's (it was so very loud, though ds loved the food). We loved Cape May for character meal breakfast, Tusker House for lunch and Crystal Palace (though Winnie the Pooh appealed more to my daughter) my son thought it was lovely and he liked the food and the view.

My DD is pretty sensitive to smells, but she has never reacted to it at any of the WDW restaurants. Of course, her sensitivity to sound is much worse than smell. We bring noise reducing headphones, but lately she prefers to use her ipod and headphones. She can't stand earbuds so she uses the old style headphones that go over the ear.

As for favorite restaurants, she has several. Crystal Palace is a must do for us. She liked Be Our Guest, which surprised me because I thought it was loud in there, but I think the idea of eating in Beast's castle out did the discomfort from noise. Liberty Tree Tavern is a favorite for lunch, but not dinner. We prefer the lunch menu. At Epcot, the only table service she really liked was LeCellier. We usually do counter service places in World Showcase. She likes the Liberty Inn, but she is a picky eater. Her favorite in Hollywood Studios is 50s Prime Time Cafe. We don't really have anything in AK that we love.

At the resorts, Beaches and Cream and Whispering Canyon are favorites for her.

We did Sci Fi Dine In for lunch and it wasn't crowded at all and was very quiet. My son (5 at the time) loved sitting in the car and having the movie screen. It's very reasonably priced, as well.

If you're thinking of a character meal, I can't say enough good things about Tusker House breakfast. I've heard that Chef Mickey's is loud and chaotic and this was the total opposite. They do have some African inspired foods, but there's also the standard eggs, waffles, fruit, etc.

My 5 yo really liked Garden Grill at Epcot. We were seated on the lower level in a booth, so it felt very quiet and private. There was another table in the same alcove, so there was another family next to us, but it wasn't as loud or crazy as some other places we went to. The food was tasty, but familiar enough for littles. My daughter was served chicken legs with mac & cheese and broccoli. My favorite thing was that it was all you can eat served family style, so we could get more of what we wanted without having to navigate a buffet.

Ohanas is probably the most low-key character restaurant at Disney. I recommend the character breakfast, especially if you reserve one of the latest breakfast times they have. The restaurant will be emtying out as you eat- less people, less noise, less food odor.

Also, you should tell them you prefer an out-of-the-way (& away from kitchen) table at check-in due to your son's disibility. They'll accomodate as best as they can.

Last edited:

My son loves every buffet, Sci-Fi, Via Napoli & Teppan Edo is his absolute favorite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!