Tables in Wonderland

ashleyann31

Thankful for Phoenicians
Hi there!

We are first-time AP holders. I wanted to know what TIW is and whether or not it is something that would benefit my family. We have myself, my husband, a 6 year old, 4 year old, and a 1 year old (who eats more than the other two kids combined). We have never done the Dining Plan because we know we would never eat enough to justify the cost of it. I have read other posts mentioning TIW and wondered if it might be a good thing for us to get.

Thanks!

The card costs you $150 as a DVC member or AP holder. You get 20% off of most table service dining including adult beverages and a few counter service locations. You need to spend about $750 a year (or more if you would have gotten another discount like DVC or AP for the meal) to break even for the year. It really helps when you do a lot of character meals and your kids are ten or older.

Remember that you already get 10% off with AP so you're paying $150 to save an extra 10%. That means you need to spend $1,500 just to break even.

Caveats- TIW includes alcohol discounts while AP doesn't and it works at some counter service as well. It generally works best for large groups of people.

It really depends where you eat as to whether it is a good deal for you.
As others have mentioned, there are discounts with the AP and DVC membership card as well as the Disney Visa card if you have one.
For us, the card has saved us a lot of money, for others, not a good deal.
Remember, to purchase the card when you are at the park. Unlike the AP, the TIW card is activated as soon as you purchase it.
If you are traveling as a group, the entire group (up to 10) can use the card if the owner of the card pays for the meal.

We are AP holders with TiW, and 2 kids aged 6 and 4. For us, it works because we do a lot of character meals and signature meals. Last time we had it, we had a few meals where we had 9 -10 people at Akershus and California Grille, and wine at Cali Grille, AND lots of other meals, across 3 trips. We definitely saved money that time. This time we may just break even.

In addition to what PPs have said: One thing to keep in mind is that if you use the TIW card, an 18% gratuity is automatically applied, no matter what the size of your party is.

This actually "saves" money for people who regularly tip 20% and up.

IMO tipping 18% is a minimum anyway. I'm happy they do the math for me.
I have no problem with that aspect of the program. makes it easy to pay and go!

Last edited:

This is one reason I actually like the card...I consider it a "pre-paid tip" card. When I try to plan out our dining budget, I look at the menus and add up the total cost, but then I don't bother to add in a tip because the TIW card basically covers it. I take my estimated amount and put it on a gift card and, POOF, it's my own pre-paid dining plan:wizard:...tips, alcohol, and anything else I want to eat, all included!

I have a trip planned for this October and another one for next October. I plan to buy the card on this trip, even though it will just be myself and my 2 DD's. We will use it, but I know we won't break even on this trip alone. We are planning meals at Jiko, Sanaa, Boma, maybe HDDR, Coral Reef and at least one trip to TOTWL so we will make a dent for sure. Next year, we will be travelling with my parents and my sister and her daughters so we will be a party of 8. I know we will be doing a lot of TS meals on that trip so we will more than make up for the cost on that trip.

Sandy and I have purchased a TIW Card, 12 years running. DVC, AP, and we LOVE this card.

Now - we also go to a SIG every evening. YOUR habits may be different.

Doing this? We save a solid $600 per year OVER card cost, trips twice per year, 12 years.

I always added on a few bucks myself, up to 10% on top, because I had an under 3 year old who ate for free but made plenty of a mess himself. Still more work for the server so they deserved it.

It's difficult to make the maths work unless you are a big drinker or a local. As stated, you already get 10% off at most table service.

It's difficult to make the maths work unless you are a big drinker or a local. As stated, you already get 10% off at most table service.

I took three trips within a year, for a total of 21 days. This included a stay at Pop Century, where the card was good at their food court. A little extreme of an example, but the card definitely worked for me there.

My next round of Disney will include 2 trips in a year's time, for a total of 12-13 days. My wife and I are having trouble thinking up 'must do' restaurants, so we are passing up on buying the card this time around.

The easiest thing to do is to make a spreadsheet of anticipated meals, and their costs, over your 13 month period. It is all a ballpark guess. If the card comes out way ahead, it is probably worth getting. If it is close or a wash, I would hold off on getting it, as you may feel more pressured to buy food and drinks you would not normally get in order to justify the cost of it.

I took three trips within a year, for a total of 21 days. This included a stay at Pop Century, where the card was good at their food court. A little extreme of an example, but the card definitely worked for me there.

My next round of Disney will include 2 trips in a year's time, for a total of 12-13 days. My wife and I are having trouble thinking up 'must do' restaurants, so we are passing up on buying the card this time around.

The easiest thing to do is to make a spreadsheet of anticipated meals, and their costs, over your 13 month period. It is all a ballpark guess. If the card comes out way ahead, it is probably worth getting. If it is close or a wash, I would hold off on getting it, as you may feel more pressured to buy food and drinks you would not normally get in order to justify the cost of it.
Sounds like excellent advice Ben.

Not necessarily. Those who dine at signature restaurants often and only have a couple glasses of wine with dinner.....

dinner for 2 at Flying Fish - $140.00
2 glasses of wine - $ 40.00
TOTAL $180.00
20% discount $ 36.00
savings for 7 similar meals $252.00
10% on food only $ 14.00

If there are others dining with you, the savings increases.

Also, any other meals (breakfast, lunch, snacks, etc) will be a savings too

Granted, if you dine at lesser expensive places or primarily food courts and do not have alcoholic drinks, it would take allot more to break even.

Not necessarily. Those who dine at signature restaurants often and only have a couple glasses of wine with dinner.....

dinner for 2 at Flying Fish - $140.00
2 glasses of wine - $ 40.00
TOTAL $180.00
20% discount $ 36.00
savings for 7 similar meals $252.00
10% on food only $ 14.00

If there are others dining with you, the savings increases.

Also, any other meals (breakfast, lunch, snacks, etc) will be a savings too

Granted, if you dine at lesser expensive places or primarily food courts and do not have alcoholic drinks, it would take allot more to break even.

I think both of our examples fit into the 'it's difficult' category. Yes, this card can save you money, just like the DDP can, but you should know what you are getting into before signing up for it. I hope to take my parents on the trip of their lifetime in a few years, full Savanna view room at AKL, breakfast and dinner at all the best places, etc. In that case, even though it will only be an 8 day trip, the card would make sense, as we will probably be spending $2000+ on dining just due to our large party size.

I always added on a few bucks myself, up to 10% on top, because I had an under 3 year old who ate for free but made plenty of a mess himself. Still more work for the server so they deserved it.

Agreed to both. We usually have 1-2 alcoholic drinks with a nicer dinner. Not big drinkers, but we go to TS and Sig restaurants a lot, and with an under 3. So we are big tippers too... Between last August and this February, we are spending 14 nights. Restaurants where we have used or will use TiW include (off the top of my head; all for dinner unless otherwise stated):

Cali Grill 2x
Akershus 2x
Crystal Palace 2x (brunch)
Tusker House 2x (brunch)
Tiffins
BOG dinner
Flying Fish
H&V (breakfast)
CRT
1900 Park Fare
Coral Reef
Cape May Cafe (breakfast)
Trattoria al Forno (breakfast)
50s Prime Time
Chef Mickey's (breakfast)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter