Tahoe?

Kennywife

Sometimes miracles take a little time
I have an upcoming assignment where I can go to Lake Tahoe/Reno in the spring or wait until in the fall. :cool1: Hubby and I are planning that if we go in the spring to go around early April. If in the fall, probably around August or Sept. Here's my question: We'll be 32 and 33 and in the spring, my concern is that it could be crowded with spring breakers. :headache: I guess I'm not young anymore! LOL! I'm also concerned it will be too cold. What's it like thetre in April and Sept.?

Anna

I live just north of Reno in the outer valleys.

I have seen it snow in Tahoe on both Memorial Day and Labor Day. My Aunts outdoor wedding on the shores of Lake Tahoe on Labor Day was moved indoors due to snow and wind.

I personally like the fall, the days can be warmer with cold nights.

I know the ski resorts hope for huge crowds during spring break, however spring break varies so much across the country I don't know if the crowds would seem worse than peak summer or peak winter.

Plan on cool days and cold nights for either April or Sept. Chances are Sept. days will be warmer. This area sometimes skips spring but we usually have fall.

I was in Lake Tahoe in early October 2006 and it was like 23 degrees and had snowed about 4 days earlier.During the day it was cold but tolerable but we were going to walk to a grocery store at night to get some things and decided to turn around as we were freezing.

I lived in North Lake Tahoe for 16 years and for the past 4+ years have lived just 30 minutes away in Reno while maintaining a restaurant in Tahoe, so here goes.

Tahoe does not get the sort of spring break crowds that will make it seem really crowded. Actually, summer is peak time and starts slowing down once CA schools get back in session (usually 2/3rds into Aug), and in the winter the busy time is Christmas and all the regular holidays. Anything else is very manageable with May/early June and Oct/Nov being the slowest times.

Personally I consider late Aug/Sept to be a terrific time to visit. Usually it's comfortable weather (in the 70's) during the day and cooling down in the evenings. April can bring very nice weather as well, or snowstorms. Percentages are probably with nice weather, but there will be snow on the ground. Now, if you like to ski at all - it's April to catch some of the last snow. I've often skied in a t-shirt in the spring.

It's the mountains so you kind of have to go with whatever comes, but Aug/Sept is most likely to have the better weather.

:goodvibes

We are about a 3 hour drive away from Lake Tahoe and visit often. I agree with the PPs. It's not really a spring-break destination. Summer and Winter are crowded.

Tahoe is beautiful at any time of the year. We've been during xmas with no snow, and been up on the slopes at Squaw on Easter. Honestly, the skiing, if it exists in April, is winding down by then. We were able to get great deals on hotels then, even thought it was spring break.

Now, MLK weekend or President's weekend are another story -- crowded!

I think you'll find Lake Tahoe beautiful and worth visiting either time you choose!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter