take 3 yr old's carseat on the airplane?

Sandra

Earning My Ears
My daughter just turned 3 and still sits in a carseat. Should I take the carseat on the plane for her to sit in? Or should I just check it and let her sit in the normal seat?

Thanks for any advice!

The car seat will be safer for her to sit in in the plane. I use the car seat since my son knows when he is in it, he must sit. If your child is very well behaved, maybe they could sit in a reg. seat, but I am not too sure about the safety of the seatbelts for a child that young if there were turbulance.

I say take it. It really give the kids the idea that they can't get out of it just like in the car.

Taking the car seat on the plane is a great idea because when you get to orlando you will need a car seat for your ride from the airport to the hotel. We did this with our 2 yo daughter this past august and it worked out really well. I also think it's safer in the air and if your child falls asleep on the plane it will be more comfortable.

good luck

Matt
----------------------------------
PO-R '01
Poly '00
Disneyland '97
CBR '92

I agree with the others, take the seat. Just make sure before you go that it is approved for use in an airplane (I think most, if not all newer car seats are, some booster seats are not)

I would deffinitely take the car seat. Our daughter is 4 and we will be bringing her booster seat with us in Feb to WDW.
As mentioned before, I would check with the airline to make sure of their regulations. It is safer and more comfortable for the child. And depending on your flight time, might make it easier for a nap. Especially if your child is used to nodding off in it in the car. And if you'll be renting a car when you get to WDW you'll be sure to have the car seat your most comfortable with and know will be safe.

Did you purchase a ticket for your daughter? I know, most airlines say over two must purchase a ticket, but we know some people don't...

The only reason I ask is that if you did not, you will only be able to use the car seat if there is an empty seat next to you.

But, assuming you did purchase a ticket for her, I agree with everyone else, bring the car seat. Its a pain to lug around, but it is infinitely safer for a child than the lap belt on the plane. Also, as somebody else said, it makes them feel like they are in the car, where they know they have to stay put.

Make sure you ask to pre-board, as it is much easier to get the car seat down the aisle while the seats are empty. Just in case the flight attendant does not mention it, put the car seat by the window. If you are in a center section, the car seat should go on the inside. This is so in the event of an emergency, the car seat does not block anyone's exit.

Also, when deboarding, I highly recommend waiting until everyone behind you has walked by. Again, its much easier to get a car seat down the aisle with no people around.

Do yourself a favor, check the back of the seat and make sure it is FAA approved before you fly. Most seats with the harness are all set, some combination car seat/boosters seats are with the harness and are not approved without the harness. We had a seat with two stickers on the back (Century Breverra) that caused such confusion on flight it was a total embarrassment. Turned out the attendents were looking at the sticker that said the seat was not approved when using as a booster but approved with the 3 point harness. Totally embarrasing for all involved but we were allowed to use it after all.

To tell the truth depending on the 3yo I probably would not use the seat. If your child will stay seated in the airplane belt, especially if they are closer to 4 then I may opt for not. It is a total pain to install the seat in the aircraft, IMHO and personnell are not to eager to help. I did it religously until my dd's were 3 ish and then we either checked the seats as baggage or rented a carseat with the car. Of course I often travel alone with the girls so if you have a few extra sets of hands that could help.

Anyway - the moral of the way to long post (sorry) is to check ahead and make sure your seat will be allowed before you go to the trouble of getting it through security and to the gate etc.

HTH
TJ

I say take it. Not only does it make them sit on the plane but it is safer. Also, we checked ours one time and when we arrived the car seat was missing so we had to get one from the rental car company. Installing your own car seat is bad enough but installing a different kind is even worse. It arrived the next day but it was a hassle- phone calls, etc.

I've decided to take it - I always have in the past and it does help keep her contained in her seat and then we also have it when we're there. I just hate lugging that thing through the airport.

Thanks for the input!

We leave in the morning!!!!!!!

I'm glad you decided to take it. It is a little bit of a pain, but it will be worth the piece of mind. After our last experience I am so grateful we decided to bring it. We hit the most unbelievable turbulence, everyone had to wear seatbelts for the entire trip and NO ONE was allowed to go to the bathroom. Even my husband said there is no way he would have been able to hold him. I hate to think what would have happened had we not had it.

We leave Friday and we're taking our DD's carseat. I flew in 1995 with my DS who was 2 at the time. He fell asleep almost immediately when we took off and slept most of the flight. I think it helped make him more comfortable since he was in a seat he was used to.

Beth

We just returned from a Disneyland. We flew Wi to Minn. to La and had no problem with the car seat for my 16 month niece. We have used this car seat on many a plane trip. On our return trip we were fine from LA to Minn. but when we were loading in Minn. to go back to WI the gate attendant stopped my sister to check for the sticker. The sticker was gone. WE have used this seat many times and so it must have come off at some point. They were not very nice about it and would not let us use it and my brother in law had to hold my niece from Minn. to WI because the seat belt would not fit snug enough. It was not a safer situation but they have their rules. So my suggestion is

#1 yes use a car seat. My niece was comfortable and slept in it.
#2 Make sure the sticker is still in place. They can come off without you noticing.
#3 Bring a small rolling luggage rack to hook the car seat to inbetween flights. It made transporting it very easy. We just folded the rack up and put it in the overhead bin during flight. Bonus- the other kids hooked their backpacks to it. During our lay overs.

Have a great time. You will love it!

We are travelling in 16 days with infant and car seat. What sticker should I be looking for?

Hi Jim

There should be a sticker on the back of the seat indicating the installation procedures, weights etc. On mine it states "This seat is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft". My older daughters booster seat (no harness) however says, "This seat is certified for use in motor vehicles. This seat is NOT certified for use in aircraft".

Do your self a favor and make sure you have a sticker with the certification and know where it is as we have had ours checked every time.

Some older seats may not have the sticker and its up to the airline attendants descretion whether you can use it.

TJ

I have a hint for dragging the car seat through the airport. I carry a regular foldable luggage cart with me. I strap the car seat to the cart and wheel it behind me :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter