Taking cooler for medical reasons into events

welovedisneyx4

<font color=blue>I have this sudden urge to put my
Has anyone ever run into problems w/ taking a small cooler w/ your insulin and snacks in it into a concert or event?

We are having a local festival this weekend and they get really anal about what you can and can't bring in. (I know the reasons for the security, but they get on a power trip w/ it) There is a notice in the paper stating "no coolers" and I know from past years that they don't let you bring food or drinks in, even water.

Does anyone know if there is anything w/ the ADA that states you can bring the cooler/snacks/water in places for medical conditions? We have been a few places where you wouldn't "normally" take a cooler, (and no one has ever said anything) but nothing like this.

There is one day that I know we will need to take DS's insulin b/c we will be there for the afternoon and evening. And I really want to take snacks as well b/c I am not spending extra $$ to buy snacks from the venders. (Think fair type places. We will eat that for dinner, but he doesn't need the greasy french fries for his afternoon snack!)

That would be considered a reasonable accommodation, yes. The law requires them to make changes to their policies (in this case, the no cooler policy) for reasonable accommodations (in this case, insulin which must be kept cold) for people with disabilities (in this case, your son).

Since you're going at a time the ADA Hotline will be closed, you should call them up in advance when they're open and get info. from them on what to tell/show (i.e. specific regulation) the fair people if/when they try to stop you. If worse comes to worse, call the police for help. You may also want to call up the fair organizers ahead of time to let them know they are required to allow your small cooler of insulin in, that way if they object you will be able to have them call the ADA Hotline and send other resources.

Also, you may want to look into purchasing one of those cooling sleeves made for medications. I don't know what they are called, just saw a link (on this board or a different Disney one) to them once and thought they were a great idea. I believe they run on the same principal as those cooling neck ties, which you soak in water for 15-20 min. and then they stay cool for days.

As for bringing in outside snacks for your son, it depends. If your reason for it is to save money, it isn't a reasonable accommodation. If your reason for it is because your son cannot eat any snacks the fair serves because of his disability, then it is a reasonable accommodation. You won't be allowed to bring in outside snacks for anybody in your party who doesn't need them for medical reasons if the fair doesn't allow outside snacks, as the ADA is only for disabled people.

Good luck!

Thanks for that info!

It ended up being fine. When we went to the festival the first time w/ out DS, I asked one of the security people and they double checked and said that would be fine. I also had some contacts w/ the "people in charge" of the festival and they said if we had any problems at all the have security call them.

I was just getting a little anxious b/c we hadn't been in that situation before and the "Mama Bear" was coming out!! Like I said before, there have been some times in the past where I have seen overzealous security and I didn't want to have to make a scene. DS has only been diagnosed for about 9 months now so we are still somewhat new to all this.

Thanks again!

Glad your day went well. Hope your family enjoyed their day out.
My DD has been diagnosed for 2 years now and I remember all the unknown stres when she was first diagnosed. I wanted to highly recommend the Frio wallet. Its the wallet that you soak in water and it cools your insulin. It work very very well and it lasts for days. DD was on Novolog and lantus last trip to Disney and we used one to carry her pen to the parks. Even in SUPER hot days her insulin was cool and safe.. it was a miracle. You just soak it in water when its starts to dry out. I even poured some bottled water over mine when I thought it looks a little dry. You can search for Frio on google or something and you will find it. they are great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter