Taking DS who has CHD

kristielee

Mouseketeer
Our beautiful little boy was born with a life threatening congenital heart defect. His first surgery was at less than a day old and he will face several more throughout his life. This is the question I have.....

He looks completely normal, however he poops out, gets short of breath, and fatigues pretty easily. We are going down in late Oct (specifically so it won't be quite so hot) and I was wondering if a GAC would work for him? We will have our stroller with us, and do not plan on spending more than a few hours in the park each day. He does not qualify for Make a Wish, because his condition is not considered terminal. We are not looking to cut lines, just trying to make it so that he doesn't have to spend his better part of the day waiting in long lines. Am I being wrong for requesting this? Do I need to (or would it help) is I bring a letter from his cardiologist? DH and I just want to give this little guy the trip of a lifetime because he has been through soooo much already. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome. Glad you stopped by.
A GAC would be very appropriate for him. They are not meant to (and usually won't) get you into the rides a lot faster. That's a misconception that people have about them. What they are meant to do is provide the assistance that you need to enjoy the park without wearing yourself out. Sometimes that's a place to wait outside of the line. In your case, you could get a GAC that lets you use the stroller as a wheelchair. That would allow you to bring the stroller in line with you so that your DS doesn't need to be standing or walking for long periods and you also won't have to worry about climbing stairs or walking up ramps. It would also allow you to use the wheelchair entrances which often allow a little extra time for boarding (important if he has to move slow).
You don't need a doctor's letter to get a GAC. Some people feel more confident having one, but the CMs don't want to see the letters. Often the letters are written in "medicalese" and since the CMs don't have any medical training, it's not all that helpful
I'm sure teri will be along soon with some information about GACS. You can find a link to FAQs in any of her posts.
We have been to WDW several times in September. You will find that the waits for rides are very short then, so you won't need a GAC for that reason. Having the stroller in line will be the biggest help for you.
Also, keep in mind that First Aid is a great place to rest. WE always found that going back to our room didn't work well for our DD, who has multiple disabilities. She could be very tired in the park, but by the time we got back to our room, she was not ready to rest any more. If you think he would benefit from a short nap or rest, First Aid might work better for you.

PS. Here's some info about MAKE A WISH. Their website states they grant wishes to kids with "life-threatening illnesses", so it's not necessary to be terminal to have a wish granted.

Of course, a GAC would be appropriate. I hope that your trip goes smoothly. Click on the link in my signature for information. :)

I think I might bump a few other posts as well... sounds like you really need a vacation. {{{{hugs}}}}

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter