Taking Friends

daisey mae muggles

Earning My Ears
I am splurging and taking my girlfriend and her three kids to SSR. I own at VWL, but it was a spur of the moment trip and I took what we could get. I am wait listed for VWL. I so wanted to show her how great it is to be part of DVC. Last year her whole family crammed into a room at GF and spent almost the cost of DVC membership, no kichen, no two baths... well I don't need to convince you all! The trip started as a gift for her DS, my Godson, not as a sales pitch trip. Long question short, I've never even toured SSR, will we be dissapointed. Do you all think it shows DVC at its best?

I have to say that I don't believe that it shows DVC "at its best." DVC at its best, IMHO, is superior, deluxe accommodations, just steps from the theme park. Regardless of how nice OKW and SSR are, the fact that they're not butted up against a theme park will reduce how impressive they appear to the average casual observer.

Having said that, my wife, especially, prefers VWL. Even though it is a little further from the Magic Kingdom than BWV and BCV are from Epcot and D-MGM, it does have the water launch, and is such a well-themed resort that it is an attraction in itself.

By the same token, guests will appreciate even SSR. Our first trip with guests was to OKW. They were blown away by how much space we had, and the quality of the rooms and grounds. I think they would have been equally impressed with an off-site condo, and equally appreciative.

bicker said:
I have to say that I don't believe that it shows DVC "at its best." DVC at its best, IMHO, is superior, deluxe accommodations, just steps from the theme park. [...]
Yeah, about 700 steps from BWV to EPCOT IG, and 1400 steps to DS.... ;)

Don't worry bicker they will like ssr. Just explain the situation to them about how at the last min it was all you could get. Take them by the other resorts you stated you like better, and then show them the re-sale listings.

We bought at SSR. Didn't really consider a resale anywhere because at SSR you get a more years at this point. Although we bought there, we have stayed at the boardwalk and will be at WL in July. It seems like a win win situation no matter where she may want to buy.
Oh and by the way I think thats a great thing that youare doing.

I can make it in 650 steps. :)

Seriously, it does make a big impact, looking out the window of the villa and seeing the Eiffel Tower just a stone's throw away.

mongo said:
Don't worry bicker they will like ssr. Just explain the situation to them about how at the last min it was all you could get. Take them by the other resorts you stated you like better, and then show them the re-sale listings.
I'm not sure I would "apologize" for SSR at all. It's a great resort with its own character and its own advantages. If you tell your guests it's a second choice, they'll respond to it that way. But if you simply share it with them happily, and let them see some of the other resorts if you like, then everything is on a positive footing and nothing is second-best.

I own at VWL, but it was a spur of the moment trip and I took what we could get.

I was simply suggesting he inform them why they are staying at ssr versus the other resorts. IMO he should explain the 11 vs 7 mth window and the home resort concept, and the dynamics of the resorts and which ones fill up first. I would imagine when they see he owns at a resort that is a boat ride from MK (she has 3 children), and they are at a resort not conected to a park, they will be curious.

But I agree ssr is great, and they will have a great time at ssr. It's great.

I'm not sure I would "apologize" for SSR at all. It's a great resort with its own character and its own advantages. If you tell your guests it's a second choice, they'll respond to it that way. But if you simply share it with them happily, and let them see some of the other resorts if you like, then everything is on a positive footing and nothing is second-best.
I agree. I do believe VWL would be "better" than SSR, but SSR is pretty darned good itself, and there is no reason for your guests to be disappointed with your generosity!

We love OKW - always have. Bigger rooms, more points, no valet, quiet and relaxing - 'nuf said! I cannot speak for the SSR rooms - but - the pool area is nice and some folks do not want to be next to the Parks.

Also, when my kids were small - they liked the parks! But, were always asking: When can we go back swimming? I think they will love the SSR pool and slide! It is a step up from what VWL offers!

I personally hate the Bus system! Always have - always will. I have no time to be hoarded around! In addition - we never go the parks every day! We use down days to pool and resort hop! Which, would be a circus if we did not have a car!

While we love OKW - I am not sure I would enjoy it as much if I did not have a car! Want to go to the AK for dinner? No problem! Want to go to MGM - everyone pile in! And, I think the same would hold true for SSR.

There are times when I want to be in the thick of things, so I stay at BWV or BCV. There are times when I want to relax a bit more, so I stay at OKW. There are times when I want the serenity of VWL. I haven't stayed at SSR yet, so I don't know it's "feel", but I have toured it and think it is an absolutely lovely resort.

That being said, if your GF is expressing any interest in purchasing the DVC, I would certainly share with her the ins & outs and pros & cons of the system, including 11/7 month windows, buy where you want to stay, the difference in length of ownership of SSR vs. the other properties etc. That is imparting information.

But to apologize for SSR as if it is a 2nd rate resort would be silly. It isn't. It's a DVC resort with as much to offer as any other DVC resort, depending on one's likes & dislikes. Believe it or not, not all of us always want to have all the noise and bustle of the Boardwalk. We don't always necessarily need to see Mickey lurking aorund every corner.

Go, have a good time, and buy more points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

We own at SSR and we love it. Everyone's points on the other resorts are true. But at the same time I don't think people give it a fair review. We loved the fact that we bought in and had 50 years of using it. And being from upstate New York was another. I've been hearing on here people complaining about how worn everything is at some of the other resorts. You won't get that here. My DD loved the pool at SSR. I like that it's close to DTD. And my kids are older so we don't have to worry about it being close to a park. As far as the bus service, we only had one problem when we were there. Please don't act like it is a second rate resort. I think it's just as great as the others. I hope all in all you have a great time!!! That's what disney is all about. pixiedust:

I think I gave the wrong impression. I am still pleased with my DVC membership and I am so thrilled to be able to share it with people I care about. I guess I was just more worried about the proximity to MK as my friends kids are small. They call me fairygodmother! I did the virtual tour of SSR and my DH says wow lets us try it when you get back.. I know I will be pleased, I pleased anywhere in WDW!

Hi,

ttfn3, replied to someone asking about an SSR trips without parks in this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1080300&page=2

and it's post 21. When I read this, I thought to myself, let's change our VWL 4 generation trip to SSR, this sounds wonderful, the pool/play/water areas especially. Now, we're not going to change, (VWL is my first choice in on site resorts) but wow, I'm ready to take our extended family to any of the DVC on site or off places and have a wonderful time.

Bobbi :)

You will enjoy it there. Have a great vacation.

I can't imagine a GUEST being dissapointed with SSR. I'm very much looking forward to my first trip to SSR. Now if someone wants to invite me along to any resort I'd be appreciative. You guys will have a great trip, I'm sure. Post a review upon your return. I always like to read the reviews of people's stays. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts