Taking kids out of school to go to Disney. Horribly irresponsible or acceptable in some situations?

Our DD is a 5th grade straight A honors student, we have been taking her out for a week during the school year for a WDW vacation every year. The summer Florida heat /daily rain ruins the vacation for us. We always make sure we get the homework ahead of time and she does it while eating breakfast everyday.

It’s your job as a parent to make sure she stays current in school, WDW or not.

My daughter is in AP courses, 7th grade. My son struggles with all schoolwork, 4th grade. Both middle school and elementary school were fine with us leaving outside the normal vacation periods. My daughter had a boat load of school work to complete the weekend prior to us leaving and I believe she even had a creative writing assignment while at Disney.

We feared some form of school negativity but actually encountered none. Meanwhile we were at Disney and there were scores and scores of kids, tweens, and young adults, so we were very clearly not alone in our decision.

Our DD is a 5th grade straight A honors student, we have been taking her out for a week during the school year for a WDW vacation every year. The summer Florida heat /daily rain ruins the vacation for us. We always make sure we get the homework ahead of time and she does it while eating breakfast everyday.

It’s your job as a parent to make sure she stays current in school, WDW or not.
You should not expect teachers to make up homework packets ahead of time, although it’s nice that they did.

You should not expect teachers to make up homework packets ahead of time, although it’s nice that they did.
Thanks for saying that.

We teachers never have enough hours in the day to accomplish our responsibilities. It is already inconvenient having to try to catch a student up with everything they missed while they are out. Having to customize a work-packet that couldn't possibly make up for actual time and hands-on experiences in class is really time-consuming. When I know someone will be absent for a vacation, all they get from me is the homework that they will miss. Since they won't be present for my teaching, it is up to the parents to tutor the child. Unless they are at the top of the class, it rarely works out well. Then I have to work with them individually to make up for what they missed. When they are ill, it is one thing, but if I'm being inconvenienced so they can have a happy happy fun time in WDW, I'm not a happy teacher.

Just my personal opinion based on nearly 20 years of teaching...

I understand where you both are coming from but all the teacher has to do is forward a link to her chromebook for that weeks lesson package.
Talk about an oversimplification of a Teacher's professional responsibilities.

You are making the assumption that all schools and all homes have the necessary technology to do that.

My lesson plans sit on my desk with a copy in the Principal's office. Not only do families not have access, they wouldn't understand what they were reading if they did. Most parents would not be able to implement my lessons. Your comments underestimate the teaching and learning that occurs between a Teacher with a Master's Degree and his/her students on a given day.

Know that I respect your profession but the “teacher martyr” act hurts your cause... it burns people out. Every white collar worker I know works 50 hours a week and only gets paid for 40. It’s not right and I don’t agree with it. The woo is me is old hat, your profession isn’t the only one under the thumb these days.

Unity is the key, not singling yourself out ALL THE TIME. It’s hard out there for most workers these days, nobody makes you become or stay in education. Can’t complain about YOUR choices all the time and expect infinite sympathy.

Know that I respect your profession but the “teacher martyr” act hurts your cause... it burns people out. Every white collar worker I know works 50 hours a week and only gets paid for 40. It’s not right and I don’t agree with it. The woo is me is old hat, your profession isn’t the only one under the thumb these days.

Unity is the key, not singling yourself out ALL THE TIME. It’s hard out there for most workers these days, nobody makes you become or stay in education. Can’t complain about YOUR choices all the time and expect infinite sympathy.
I know you will probably get flamed for this, but I couldn’t agree more. While not a teacher, I work in the school system now. My job is just as stressful as it was outside the system; however, the hours are a lot better & I am off waaaayy more. I work 185 days a year. I used to work at least 260. And, like teachers, I do a lot of work after hours, but it’s at home & paperwork which is much better than being stuck in the actual office 50-60 hours a week like many ppl I know.

Wow.

I am not a martyr. I am not looking for sympathy. In fact, I LOVE my profession, especially when I’m in my classroom with my students teaching and even learning from them.

I know you will probably get flamed for this, but I couldn’t agree more. While not a teacher, I work in the school system now. My job is just as stressful as it was outside the system; however, the hours are a lot better & I am off waaaayy more. I work 185 days a year. I used to work at least 260. And, like teachers, I do a lot of work after hours, but it’s at home & paperwork which is much better than being stuck in the actual office 50-60 hours a week like many ppl I know.
I have been an executive assistant, a travel agent, and a group home manager. Then, at 37, I became a teacher after working a full time job while pursuing my bachelor’s and master’s degrees.

I know all about long hours and hard work with only 2 weeks off a year.

I won’t waste time elaborating on the physical and emotional toll on teachers. I know my audience.

Yes. I love SUMMER VACATION. It’s the only way that I can rejuvenate myself and continue to work in the honorable profession as a Teacher.

Happy Thanksgiving.

We do a compromise. While we'd LOVE to take a full normal 8 day trip at WDW, we've done 4 trips over the past 5 years where we only went 5 days.

We take DS out of school for 2 or 3 days and add that to a weekend. This next trip, we'll pick him up after school gets out at 2pm (may take him at beginning of 8th period 1:15p which is Gym) on a Tuesday. He will be out Wed Thurs Fri, and we return home Sunday evening by 9pm. He's a senior. I know his class time is valuable. We also don't know what life has in store so we seize the day and try to squeeze time into what's left of his youth. One child goes too quickly!

I have been an executive assistant, a travel agent, and a group home manager. Then, at 37, I became a teacher after working a full time job while pursuing my bachelor’s and master’s degrees.

I know all about long hours and hard work with only 2 weeks off a year.

I won’t waste time elaborating on the physical and emotional toll on teachers. I know my audience.

Yes. I love SUMMER VACATION. It’s the only way that I can rejuvenate myself and continue to work in the honorable profession as a Teacher.

Happy Thanksgiving.
I can appreciate that. But, there are also many other honorable careers that get less time off & don’t get that rejuvenation period...nurses, social workers, first responders, etc. Think that is the pp’s point. Of these helping professions, teachers seem to make the most “noise”.

My children are in middle & high school now...it is so much more difficult for them to miss days. I vote go for it and enjoy!!
We used to take them out often for vacations and never had a problem. Our elementary school did not ask for advance notice though I always made the teacher aware. No make up work or travel packets in advance for them either, except the year Flat Stanley traveled with us.
I wish I could turn back time and still be able to take them out for multiple days. Now, missing 1 day, let alone 3+ in a high school honors class is like missing a month. My oldest misses days for travel sport (swim) and it’s a grind when he returns.

My children are in middle & high school now...it is so much more difficult for them to miss days. I vote go for it and enjoy!!
We used to take them out often for vacations and never had a problem. Our elementary school did not ask for advance notice though I always made the teacher aware. No make up work or travel packets in advance for them either, except the year Flat Stanley traveled with us.
I wish I could turn back time and still be able to take them out for multiple days. Now, missing 1 day, let alone 3+ in a high school honors class is like missing a month. My oldest misses days for travel sport (swim) and it’s a grind when he returns.
My nephew is a chef, and he and his wife own a restaurant. The only time of year that they can get away and go to Disney is the week of Columbus Day. They have been taking my great niece out of school for those trips every year without issue even though the teacher refuses to send a work packet. She's very bright 4th grader. (She read the entire Harry Potter series last summer). Anyway, she bounces right back afterward. My great nephew is in kindergarten, and he had a little trouble catching up this time after their return.

Every family is different. Every kid is different. Every school is different. Every teacher is different. Everyone
needs to do what works for them and their kids in their particular circumstances.

Go have fun. You get very little time with your kids in the grand scheme of things, and a week out of school isn't going to kill anyone. Our school system requirements are outrageous, IMO.

Depends on the district. I fully expect them to make up the packets if we vacation, because that is what the district requires.

We all sign a form acknowledging that it has been given as well. I give a big heads up on timing, but if they're indignant about it because I'm going on vacation and they aren't (as Summer suggested) then that's really their problem.

If your kids are good students its fine.

We have done it half a dozen times over their school careers. Both are still top in their classes and no lasting scars...LOL.

Mostly the teachers understand, and are helpful, the ones that are not.....well I think they are just jealous.

You have to LIVE LIFE and if your schedule is not consistent with school breaks, or they are not practical, then what are you going to do? Give up on family vacation time to WDW?

poppycock.

Go have fun. You get very little time with your kids in the grand scheme of things, and a week out of school isn't going to kill anyone. Our school system requirements are outrageous, IMO.

Depends on the district. I fully expect them to make up the packets if we vacation, because that is what the district requires.

We all sign a form acknowledging that it has been given as well. I give a big heads up on timing, but if they're indignant about it because I'm going on vacation and they aren't (as Summer suggested) then that's really their problem.
Interesting, the only work that needs to be given out here would be for an extended illness, my kids have had high school teachers tell them to ask classmates what they missed when they’ve been absent. Why should teachers have extra work because their students are going on vacation during the time they should be in school? Some of my kids missed school for travel in high school, one for two weeks in one year, it was my kids who needed to figure out how to make up the work, and they did.

Interesting, the only work that needs to be given out here would be for an extended illness, my kids have had high school teachers tell them to ask classmates what they missed when they’ve been absent. Why should teachers have extra work because their students are going on vacation during the time they should be in school? Some of my kids missed school for travel in high school, one for two weeks in one year, it was my kids who needed to figure out how to make up the work, and they did.

At some point, in every profession, there's extra work. I've picked up slack plenty of times whether it be for a vacation or otherwise. It's really getting blown up to be a bigger deal than it is, IMO.

Why should they? Well, I guess that's a matter of personal opinion. My district puts value on family time and understands that not everyone can work around the school year. I've never had a teacher give an ounce of irritation about our vacations and putting together school work ahead of time. It's not like we ask for it months in advance. I would assume you've got your lesson plans together a week in advance at minimum. I can't speak for our high school policy as my kids aren't there yet.

Look, I'm not trying to sound insensitive. I get that it's a bit of extra work. But when I was teaching it was not this giant burden it seems to be made out to be. One kid, every now and again over the course of the year - write down what they need to read/do and copy any worksheets or packets they need. Send it out and tell them to have fun. It's what? An extra 30 minutes to 1 hour tops to pull together. And while that might not be the experience for some teachers, I still feel it's blown out of proportion and/or feels like some weird jealousy thing. It's just odd to me.

Talk about an oversimplification of a Teacher's professional responsibilities.

You are making the assumption that all schools and all homes have the necessary technology to do that.

I didn't read their response to necessarily mean that any teacher in any school could just send a link to the Chromebook. I took it to mean that the teacher(s) that they are working with can do so. :)

My son's schools do use Chromebooks and all classroom notes AND all homework are entered into his Google Classroom every day. However, in my son's case, that's not enough. He really suffers if he misses time from school. So despite having that convenient access to school notes and homework, removing our kids to go on vacation still isn't the right choice for us. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!