Taking my wife and kids for their first trip in March.... What to do first?

BDemps7

Earning My Ears
Hello!

I'm taking my wife (26F) and kids (7M 1>F) on their first Disney World trip in March! I have been 3 times when I was a kid, but the last time was in 2001. My wife always wanted to go but was never able to, but now we have finally put ourselves in a position to be able to go!

We will being staying at Pop Century, and doing 6 days in the Parks (3 at MK, 1 at EPCOT, 1 at AK, 1 at HS/DS).

My question is, what's the first thing we should do? We will be going to MK on our first day, and I'm wondering how to give them that "Wow! We are at Disney" moment. Any suggestions?

Also, any suggestions on something small to do to make the trip extra special? Thanks!

If I were going to take my children for the first time at those ages I would get a fast pass for talking Mickey in the main st theater then buy them a balloon while walking down Main Street and head to fantasy land and visit the attractions that are friendly for all ages like dumbo, iasw, teacups and the carousel.

Peter Pan was my very first Disney ride (Disneyland, 1974), and that's still the ride we usually start with at MK.

There are only two ways to do this ride (unless you like 50-minute waits): Rope Drop or Fast Pass, and we don't want to miss the queue (which is what would happen with Fast Pass).

Please tell us you already have tickets, a plan for where to go each day, and you've already made your FP+ selections.

Yes! Have plans for each day and tickets! Fast Passes are being booked next week at the 60 day mark. I’ve done plenty of research. I’m just looking for something to do to make that first moment at MK extra special. Not sure where to start the day!

I second Peter Pan. I think people new to Disney should walk through the castle on their first day, so hopefully it will be open. Peter Pan is classic Disney. Everyone can ride- no height limits, and the queue is cute. So if you fastpass it, you miss the queue. And if you don't go first thing, the wait gets crazy. I would go straight to Small World right after! Have fun. Happy planning.

Yes! Have plans for each day and tickets! Fast Passes are being booked next week at the 60 day mark. I’ve done plenty of research. I’m just looking for something to do to make that first moment at MK extra special. Not sure where to start the day!

First, this is so awesome!! You and your family should be super excited.

While you definitely want to take advantage of FP+, don't feel you need full plans for each day. You don't, you really don't. Since it's the first visit (since you haven't been in 17 years, it may as well be your first, so much has changed), you'll be overwhelmed by it all. Take it all in, soak in the atmosphere. Don't try to force yourself to stick to a pre-made plan 100%, especially since you don't have enough experience at WDW to know if the plan is even realistic anyway. Go with the flow, relax, enjoy.

As for what to do first. Honestly, just walking through the entrance point of MK and out onto Main Street is an absolute "Wow" moment. I've done it probably 100 times and it still gives me goose bumps. Perhaps the first thing I'd do is walk into Goofy's Candy Shop (as you walk into MK, it'll be on the right, just past Town Square). Get a little Disney treat and then head down Main Street staring at the Castle. As for the first ride, well, that's really subjective. The quintessential WDW ride, IMO, would be It's a Small World. But there's no wrong answer.

As you can see, every family has their own traditions. Is there something YOU remember from your childhood that might begin that tradition for your family?

Other than that, my advice (assuming MK is opening at 9:00) is to get there by 8:00 so you have a fairly empty Main St for that first "awe" moment of seeing the castle. You'll also be able to get some good pictures. Not EMPTY Main St pictures, but some good pictures. AND it gives you all time to just wander Main St before you get in position for where you're going for your first ride.

Congrats on your trip you should have a blast, the 1st thing we did is probably something you might not think of. Growing up I watched the Wonderful World Of Disney every week. One of the last scenes in the opening credits was Dumbo. On our 1st trip my daughters mother let me do something that I will never forget. Our 1st ride at MK was Dumbo with my daughter. And in June (she is 17) we will still ride Dumbo at least once. Make a tradition like that in case you turn into a multiple trip person. I have friends who bypass every ride even with no lines to go to Haunted Mansion 1st. It is their thing.

Growing up, I was like your wife - always wanted to visit Walt Disney World, but never had the opportunity. When our kids were 7 and 9, my husband decided we should all go to Disney World for a week. The trip wasn't a huge priority for him, but he knew it'd been a dream of mine since I'd been a kid, and he wanted to do something nice for me and the kids. This was back in 2005.

We stayed off site, that first trip. We visited the Magic Kingdom, on our first day. I'd purchased a guide book, and we showed up at rope drop, as the book advised. And I still remember vividly the morning welcome show at the entrance, walking up Main Street (which was just like the guide book pictures), turning right, and just that first morning view of Tomorrowland. Amazing! It was more beautiful than anything I'd ever imagined.

I don't think you really need to do anything in particular to make that first moment special. It's going to be special, without anything extra added on. The entire experience of just walking into the Magic Kingdom is astonishing the first time. Especially if you get there early, before it's packed to the gills with people.

Just have a plan, know what you want to ride, don't rush, and take the time to really look around as you're making your way through the park.

As for something extra. Since you haven't been there in years, I don't think you have to do anything extra to be amazed at WDW. I've been to MK many times, and just the wonder of walking down Main Street is wonderful.

Last edited:
I don't think you really need to do anything in particular to make that first moment special. It's going to be special, without anything extra added on. The entire experience of just walking into the Magic Kingdom is astonishing the first time.

Yes, yes, yes.

As for something extra. Since you haven't been there in years, I don't think you have to do anything extra to be amazed at WDW. I've been to MK many times, and just the wonder of walking down Main Street is wonderful.

I agree with this, maybe if you are going for the 30th time you need a little extra add on but for the first time, just being there is special enough and more than a little overwhelming.

First, this is so awesome!! You and your family should be super excited.

While you definitely want to take advantage of FP+, don't feel you need full plans for each day. You don't, you really don't. Since it's the first visit (since you haven't been in 17 years, it may as well be your first, so much has changed), you'll be overwhelmed by it all. Take it all in, soak in the atmosphere. Don't try to force yourself to stick to a pre-made plan 100%, especially since you don't have enough experience at WDW to know if the plan is even realistic anyway. Go with the flow, relax, enjoy.

As for what to do first. Honestly, just walking through the entrance point of MK and out onto Main Street is an absolute "Wow" moment. I've done it probably 100 times and it still gives me goose bumps. Perhaps the first thing I'd do is walk into Goofy's Candy Shop (as you walk into MK, it'll be on the right, just past Town Square). Get a little Disney treat and then head down Main Street staring at the Castle. As for the first ride, well, that's really subjective. The quintessential WDW ride, IMO, would be It's a Small World. But there's no wrong answer.

This is the best advice you can get. Don't try to over plan, don't try to do everything, it's just not possible. Sometimes it just those small unexpected moments that make it perfect and you can't plan for those. I think one of the bad things about these boards are people are convinced they can't have a good time if they don't run from ride to ride and have their days planned out to every minute and haven't booked ADRs 90 days out they aren't going to be able to eat. Just not true, you might not get the "must have" ADRs but frankly if you've never had them they can't be must haves to start with and there is always, I mean always, something you can book last minute. The fact is the place is huge and choke full of details and most people miss the little things trying to do everything.

When you check in, be sure to mention that it's your wife's and kids' first trip. They'll give you "my first visit" buttons for them to wear. If you forget to do it at the resort, you can get them at guest services at the park. I'd try my best to be at MK about 45 minutes before they open so you can be in a good position to see the welcoming show(I can't remember what it's called, but it's kind of special to see it). Walking down mainstreet and taking a picture in front of the castle before all the crowds get there...just seeing the castle on mainstreet will be special for them.

You could surprise them that morning with something special to wear...have matching t-shirts made for the family...or just new Disney t-shirts(you'll save money buying them locally before your trip). You could even order some mouse ears with their names embroidered on them ahead of time. For you son...a pirate eye patch and bandana so he can dress as a pirate and a tiara headband for your daughter(you'll see kids dressed as pirates and princesses around the parks). Some ideas for this will be pricey, but you can also find things that aren't so much.

Have a wonderful time with your family!

You are going to have an amazing time! We have a rule in our family - do what makes us happy. So sometimes that involves going on a ride, sometimes that involves stopping for a snack, and sometimes that means calling it a day when we're tired. Just walking down Main Street is a fun experience - with young kids I'd probably do Peter Pan first as it is a great ride for kids. The Magic Kingdom is filled with great attractions so don't be stressed if you can't get to them all - just gives you another reason for a return trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!