Taking Off in College

worldtraveler996

Earning My Ears
My parents have scheduled our next Disney trip for 2016 during the last week of October. It is for my brother's 16th birthday. The problem is I will be a sophomore in college and it is during a possible mid-term week. I have been contemplating whether it is possible for me to go and do exams the week before, if I have any (I only have one this year), or if I should not go. We haven't been there in three years so I really want to go because this may be my last chance for a while. It is also a four day week that week. I am having a hard time with this decision. Can anyone share their experience with vacationing during school or just weigh in?

Well, for me it would depend on the classes and the professor. I'm a freshman in college currently, but if I were in your position I would find out what are the days of the midterms (usually), and what would happen if I were to miss the test day. Many of my professors are willing to give a different test the following week and make no big deal out of it... and many times claim the next test will be "harder", but unless it's a subject that I struggle with or a subject that's really important it usually won't make a big deal.

To sum it up.. the only thing that would make me not go is if a professor told me I'd get a zero on the exam.

It really depends on the professor. I had many professors in college who would absolutely not allow you to take the test at any other time unless it was a documented family emergency. If you just wanted to go home early because it was cheaper or you wanted a longer spring break then it was on you. I had one jerk of a professor who scheduled an exam that was 25% of our grade on the last Friday before Spring Break. He informed us (as is correct but kind of a jerk move) the official school policy was spring break started that Saturday not Friday so he could do what he wanted and expected attendance by all.

Your parents kind of put you in a difficult spot. Some schools have a long fall break in the middle of October, often during Columbus Day. But it sounds like your college has this longer weekend more toward the end of October. If you are thinking about the last week in October that sounds like it's Halloween. Seasoned professors usually know that giving a test during Halloween should usually be avoided. College students have less ability to focus during Halloween craziness. So that might work in your favor. Another option would be to ask your parents to postpone the trip to Thanksgiving week, which is only a few weeks after the last week in October. That is usually an entire week off at many colleges. Even if you don't have Monday & Tuesday off, professors might be a little more flexible if you say you have to travel to see your family. Personally, I would not tell your professors that you are going to Disneyworld. Just that you have a family event that requires you to be there. See if your family can work with you and your college schedule so that everyone can have fun.

Just as an update, I have emailed all of my potential professors about it and they all said that either I don't have a final or they will allow me to take it early/work with me. Now I can go!!! Thank you all for providing your input!

Glad it worked out for you. I have found these things are generally up to the schools/teachers.

I took my masters degree through an online program. I was given a hard time about taking a test (not a final or any special test, just a normal test) in another proctored location (normally my tests were proctored by someone in my office, instead I was going to pay to do this one at a test center at a community college near disney). I would still take the test the same day just like I would have if I took it here. I had to jump through hoops for this to be approved.

My undergrad professors... most would have said the same thing yours did... Except that one calculus class they decided to put a rule that you couldn't miss more then one class without docking your grade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts