Talk DVC with the Dis Dads

If nothing else it's only 1 week. If it doesn't work out, you always have next year. I like having some variety in my life.
I rented a SeaRaycer a few years ago from the Poly... not sure if I was allowed to but I went from the lagoon to Bay Lake over the water bridge. It was pretty cool. :sail:

You are absolutely right. It's a week and and an experience.
I never thought about the SeaRaycers until you guys brought it up. Now I am quite intrigued. Based on my not extensive research, you have a lot of freedom with where you can take the boats. The primary rule to follow seems to be yielding to other boats. Aside from that, the water bridge appears to be fair game.

You are absolutely right. It's a week and and an experience.
I never thought about the SeaRaycers until you guys brought it up. Now I am quite intrigued. Based on my not extensive research, you have a lot of freedom with where you can take the boats. The primary rule to follow seems to be yielding to other boats. Aside from that, the water bridge appears to be fair game.

I love VWL Stayed there twice and it feels like you are in a different world. The boat to the MK is a nice way to get around and bus transportation to the other parks is no different than other MK resorts. We have also done the Searacers a few times and it is fun. We drove by all the resorts and you can tool around the MK. Just avoid the bigger boats and restricted areas are well defined. Have fun.

I love VWL Stayed there twice and it feels like you are in a different world. The boat to the MK is a nice way to get around and bus transportation to the other parks is no different than other MK resorts. We have also done the Searacers a few times and it is fun. We drove by all the resorts and you can tool around the MK. Just avoid the bigger boats and restricted areas are well defined. Have fun.

CJ - Now why did you have to go and mention the "restricted areas"? i was going to go with the "It's easier to say sorry than ask for permission" approach!

I really want to take them out but DW may keep it off our itinerary until the next time we are at BLT. Too bad I never thought of them before. On the last trip DW and DD2 were just killing time around the resort wile I napped and DD1 was relaxing. The 2 of them could have taken the sea raycers out!

So reading through the thread it looks like the DVC site doubles down as the Dis Dads retirement planning discussion. What, no one wants to work until there seventy and get carried out of the office feet first? Where's your dedication? Where's your stick-to-it-tiveness? Where's your Zoloff? Personally, I'm out of here in the next 12 to 24 months. Going to spend this year getting the house ready to put on the market next spring. The wife and I have already been looking through realtor.com for houses in central florida. Need to get some recommendations of towns, don't want the retirement village thing. Also looking for gainful employment at the mouse house. Could probably retire without the job, but i'm pretty certain i'd just get into trouble with all that free time on my hands.....

CJ - Now why did you have to go and mention the "restricted areas"? i was going to go with the "It's easier to say sorry than ask for permission" approach!

I really want to take them out but DW may keep it off our itinerary until the next time we are at BLT. Too bad I never thought of them before. On the last trip DW and DD2 were just killing time around the resort wile I napped and DD1 was relaxing. The 2 of them could have taken the sea raycers out!

They pretty much give you free reign except for the main shipping lanes, near the MK docks and where they parasail. I got chastised once for venturing near the parasailing area. My bad. Don't expect a lot of speed but it is a fun thing to do. Check on a DVC discount when you rent the boats.

So reading through the thread it looks like the DVC site doubles down as the Dis Dads retirement planning discussion. What, no one wants to work until there seventy and get carried out of the office feet first? Where's your dedication? Where's your stick-to-it-tiveness? Where's your Zoloff? Personally, I'm out of here in the next 12 to 24 months. Going to spend this year getting the house ready to put on the market next spring. The wife and I have already been looking through realtor.com for houses in central florida. Need to get some recommendations of towns, don't want the retirement village thing. Also looking for gainful employment at the mouse house. Could probably retire without the job, but i'm pretty certain i'd just get into trouble with all that free time on my hands.....

You got the first part right. I'm planning to retire by age 50, although I have accepted a few more years might be ok for dds college tuition. At one point, I thought a lot of DVC points would be a good way to retire. Now, I think a condo to snowbird in for three months a year would be better. I also thought about being a transportation boat captain at WDW, but I would be likely to make folks walk the plank so maybe not. I'm not the contact for town locations, but just keep in mind Disney also has their Vero Beach Resort about 2 hours away. We've stayed there twice and did enjoy the area. If I can't live next door in Golden Oak, the beach sounds nice, or perhaps another location connected by the toll road for less traffic and away from Orlando.

Yeah, it certainly seems that we waver between DVC and retirement. I think there may be a correlation!
I just turned 40, kids are 10 and 7. So I have a ways to go but I like to have a plan. I'm not sure that I could live in FL year round. But friends of our insist that after a year you acclimate. We were thinking along the line of spending the cold months there and then doing ANYTHING for the Mouse.

What are some of the favorite DVC resorts for families? In everyone opinion? Looking into buying, but am seriously divided.

What are some of the favorite DVC resorts for families? In everyone opinion? Looking into buying, but am seriously divided.
That's similar to asking what is your favorite food.

It really does depend on you and your family and individual preferences.

For younger kids, many folks like animal kingdom.

Beach club is great if swimming is a goal...best pool on property.

For visual appeal, I think wilderness Lodge is amazing. Followed closely by animal kingdom and poly. On the other hand, are you going to spend much time in the lobby admiring the decorations? For that matter, does the theming of the room matter much or is it simply a place to sleep when not at the parks?

For bigger kids (adults), many folks like boardwalk, beach club and yaght club because they can get drunk at EPCOT and stagger "home".

Another consideration...what park are you most likely to spend most of your time at?...different resorts are more convenient to different parks or DTD.

For transportation, GF, Poly, Bay lake tower and wilderness Lodge have great access to MK.

Our home resort is Saratoga springs and for our stlye, we love it. It's quiet and a quick boat ride to DTD, so on days we're not at a park, it's relaxing and quiet.

Sorry, a lot of ground covered there. Hopefully it helps. PM me if you need more info.

Yeah I left it very vague and open for answers. But I’m just trying to get an idea of what people like for resorts. I’m all about wilderness and old key west. Way different resorts, each has its own fun things.
Yeah I just want to be able to hang out on a porch at the end of a day and relax. Or have my morning coffee.

That's similar to asking what is your favorite food.

It really does depend on you and your family and individual preferences.

For younger kids, many folks like animal kingdom.

Beach club is great if swimming is a goal...best pool on property.

For visual appeal, I think wilderness Lodge is amazing. Followed closely by animal kingdom and poly. On the other hand, are you going to spend much time in the lobby admiring the decorations? For that matter, does the theming of the room matter much or is it simply a place to sleep when not at the parks?

For bigger kids (adults), many folks like boardwalk, beach club and yaght club because they can get drunk at EPCOT and stagger "home".

Another consideration...what park are you most likely to spend most of your time at?...different resorts are more convenient to different parks or DTD.

For transportation, GF, Poly, Bay lake tower and wilderness Lodge have great access to MK.

Our home resort is Saratoga springs and for our stlye, we love it. It's quiet and a quick boat ride to DTD, so on days we're not at a park, it's relaxing and quiet.

Sorry, a lot of ground covered there. Hopefully it helps. PM me if you need more info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter