Talk me down! I am overwhelmed

CourtneyKaro

Earning My Ears
A5A71A03-7A7B-4C03-BDA3-6170E3525979.png F7EA0C0B-C9F3-4A41-9717-D13C5634B191.png DB4AA305-BFA6-4EA1-AD77-475AB92B0C0C.png Our first (and only) WDW trip was 10 years ago, pre FP+ and during the 3rd week of March (low crowds) now we are going over Christmas with 2 kids (14 &8) instead of 1 and I am OVER it. I loved planning my previous trip, I read all the books, the blogs, the message boards back then, we had an awesome trip. Now everything contradicts each other, I am stressing about crowds and FP+ finally got dinning reservations set for most TS meals and I am likely going to have to change it all in 15days when our window opens. I can’t figure out a good strategy to decide which parks to be in and when. (Well aside from needing to be in certain parks for dining) my kids love rides and good food (steak and lobster and crab and shrimp are among their favs). This trip is a surprise from Santa (he will be handing them a letter when we go to see him to be opened in the car) we will spend 3 nights at USO first followed by 2 nights at our timeshare in Orlando (The Fountains) and then 8 nights at Disney(12/19-12/27) I feel so pressured to make this trip amazing as we are spending more than any other vacation we have ever taken and I want it to be ridiculously magical for them. (They are awesome kids who have been through the wringer lately)
All that said, I am stressed! I can’t take any more planning! I need help figuring out how to plot out the rest of this trip! I will attach pics of my itinerary so far... someone please help me figure out which parks to do which days? Which FP+ I should be choosing for each day? Any dining times I should try to change? (Hubby and Ds8 are not early risers but I really want to rope drop at least once, DD14 and I are happy to get up early!) I just need some guidance on what to do!

It's going to be busy no matter which parks you choose so just ignore the crowd calendars at this point. I'd avoid MK on Christmas day unless it's your dream to be there that day.

Getting there early is key during that week. SO I'd try to get your family to go along with that as much as possible. I'd be flexible with your eating plans. If you get there and find 2 sit down meals in one day is too much then cancel some.

Since you're going at a busy time I'd try to schedule your fast passes for the afternoon and hit up rides in the early morning without FP. It's not likely you'll get too many 4th, 5th etc FP on your dates.

Follow your kids leads. If they want to do something different than the plan, throw the plan out and do it. Nothing feels less magical than whining kids.

Have fun!

OK...last year we stayed at WDW from December 21 to January 2 w/ our DGD who was then 12 y/o. I think we actually began traveling on the 19th or 20th since we took a sleeper train down and plane back. I started the planning by finding out what were the late closing and early opening days for the different parks and then building our ADRs and FPs around it.

On Christmas Eve, we visited MK in the morning and rode the train to Frontierland to ride various rollercoasters then left after the early afternoon Christmas parade as it was getting too crowded for us. We stayed at a monorail hotel so returned there. Did a bit of swimming and lounging around the pool followed by a nap and an early dinner at FF. From there we went to Epcot and enjoyed the Christmas stalls and displays @ the World Showcase.

On Christmas Day, early afternoon, we visited Fort Wilderness and enjoyed the campsite's trailer decorations followed by a horse driven carriage ride by Port Orleans(?). Returned to our hotel rested, and ate an early dinner at HBD followed by a few rides via FPs at HS. Took a ferry back to Epcot and took in more of the holiday decor.

The only other day that was strictly scripted was NYE and it was turned all around due to an illness. Canceled our ADR at Monsieur Paul and, visited with family staying at a suite @ GF. Ordered room service, grabbed some apps from the club lounge, and watched the fireworks all over Disney via their terraces.
For all the days in between the "big ones" we allowed our FPs and ADRs to make our schedule.

We have gone over Christmas week and I can't stress how much traffic there will be and how much longer it takes getting from place to place. That being said, I would seriously consider scrapping the early morning resort reservation breakfasts. Getting from CBR to Whispering Canyon or Boma, for instance and then going to a park is going to take up a significant amount of time. I also can't imagine eating at O'hana at 9:10 pm and then eating at Boma, the next day at 9:05 am. We're talking getting from Poly to CBR late at night only to wake up and having to get from CBR to AK just to eat again. IMHO, a day like Dec. 25 will work well with 2 ADR's within the same park. It saves time and traveling. I would really try to cut down on having your ADR's in such disparate areas of the resort on the same day. WCC at 9:25 am then 4:30 pm at 1900 will give you very little park time. Honestly, I would plan out your park days first and then re-do your ADR's from there.

It is going to be crowded, so I would set that as my expectation. I agree with @DisneyWishes14, you have some very late dinners planned, and breakfasts that are in resorts, and not in parks. Both would be a problem for my family unless we were planning a late arrival in the park on those breakfast dates, and a late morning following those late dinners. The travel time is problematic as well.

Personally, I would try to get to parks before RD during that week, schedule FP for later morning or early afternoon, and then get the heck out of Dodge to enjoy the pool or resort, and nap and then back out for dinner, and maybe just evening entertainment in a park.

We are going the week before Christmas and originally the parks were at very high levels. I expect the MK to be mobbed on the non party nights, so we have meals booked in the park so we do not need to contend with CS waits, or travel in and out to eat. I would suggest that you try to do the same. For instance, on your MK day if you can book the Plaza for breakfast, or grab CS food, you might save time and energy. Boma is good, but by the time you eat and get to the MK you will be behind the rest of the RD crowd. I think the same is true for WCC. You will be eating when everyone else is getting to the attractions. If you want a break from eh park, I woudl try to get that one later.
I am not a strategic planner, but I do try to keep travel at a minimum, making sure that I am not running hither and yon just to eat.

I think you have too many late dinners. Do you want to see any evening shows? I also think two sit down meals a day, every day could be too much food. I think it is fine for a few days, but could be too much for every day of the trip.

Will you have a car?

At this point I probably would not adjust park days any further. I would just stick with what you have. That being said, do you want to ride FOP or SDD? I am concerned that your HS and AK days seem to be early in your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!