Talk me into (or out of) Marathon 2021

AZMermaid

DIS Veteran
Hello fellow Run Disney people! This is going to be a brain dump, warning in advance. My husband and I ran the Fairytale Challenge in February and I loved it. He struggled with the humidity and said he’d only run a half in FL again if Coast to Coast ever comes back. I’ve gotten that itch lately to sign up for Marathon 2021. But... I’m nervous. Like can I really do this?! Random musings going through my head.

When I finished Princess half, I was dead. I finished in 2:58 which included a long line (10+ min Id say) at the evil hag and a short line at the castle. I remember thinking, no way could I do 13 more... but obviously I’d be trained differently.

POT. I’d love to qualify for a mid tier coral. I see I’d need a 2:35 half or under 2 hours ish 10 miler. I think it’s possible... but not a slam dunk. I’ve not run since Princess more than a couple of times, so Im starting at scratch again. Sigh. But that’s the truth. I live in Phoenix, so any sort of long race from May-Oct is tough. Or up north where hills become a factor. So.... maybe I could find one in March/April, but I wonder of I could get that fast, that fast! My best 10K is 1:08.01, a few weeks before Princess last year.

The trip. I’m a teacher so taking time off is a pain. I’d likely go Fri-Mon which is totally doable. Again being in Phoenix, travel is an all day affair. For Princess, we took the red eye which worked out well for the time change, but we had flight delays and issues. I’m likely solo if I’m doing this. Financial and vacation and kid factors likely prevent DH from joining me. Am I going to feel super awkward or unmotivated on my own?

Dopey.... ugh. There’s a tick in me, that’s like go big or go home. But Dopey brings up a whole host of issues, mainly time off. I’d have to take minimum 4 days, which Ive never done. But, I’m also like, 4 days of a sub in first grade never ruined anyone’s shot at Harvard. I’m also wondering if I’m goi g to feel like I’m “only” doing the marathon.

Training. Again, it’s super hot. Like 110 for weeks on end. How early do I need to start hardcore training? I’m currently overweight and out of shape, so part of this plan is to help that. My coworker said if not now, when, which has stuck with me!

Anyone have any insight/thoughts/stories that can help me make this decision? Thank you!

The short answer....yes, you CAN do it. (Honestly, did you expect a different answer from all of us enablers? 😄 )

The longer answer...it will be a challenge. But you seem to have the mindset that is leaning towards doing this. Forget Dopey--yes, people have done it from scratch, but I think it's more pressure for a first timer and you have logistical issues that will just add pressure. As for training, you'll have plenty of time to build a base and then build towards the marathon. I wouldn't worry about PoT--at least not in the context of making a go/no go decision. As for solo racing---all the Disney races I have done have been solo affairs, insomuch as I train and race on my own. But with all the people on this board there is always opportunity to meet/hang out with/run with others.

Good luck with your decision.

I’m a big pro-Dopey person but you have to do what is right for you. “Just” the marathon is a huge accomplishment. Maybe meet in the middle and do goofy? You still get that challenge but don’t need the extra time off.

You can definitely do it. I did my first marathon in 2016 and I wasn't a runner, hadn't even done a half marathon prior. I'd say if you're unsure if you can finish, then do "just" the marathon. The good part is that you don't really need to decide between Dopey and just the marathon yet, since you're looking at 2021. You can start training now and see how you feel it's going and base your ultimate decision on that, and your time off availability. I've done two "just" marathons and am now going to do Dopey next year because all of the runners I met that were doing Dopey were having a blast. Whatever you decide, you'll have fun.

I think you can do the marathon, with the right training anything is possible. If you can find a friend to train and do the race makes the 26.2 miles more enjoyable.
I would say save the Dopey, I did the marathon this year with friends and it was great. I want to do the Dopey but want my family there. I was planning on running the Dopey in 2020 but that plan fell through - now I’m waiting until my 40th.

2019 will be my third time doing "just" the marathon at Disney - with one year doing "only" the half. :)

It allows me to enjoy both the running and Disney without feeling too overwhelmed.

I'm thinking of doing Dopey in 2023 for the 10th anniversary.

So, I recommend starting with the marathon and saving a challenge for later!

That said, I went from being a non runner to running a marathon in one year - January 2012-January 2013, so you can definitely handle the challenge!

Echoing others, but short answer is you absolutely can do it with the right training especially if you're looking at 2021. I think the feeling you experienced after your HM is the same one we have all gone through - no way I could walk another foot let alone run another 13.1! I had a 20 mile training run this weekend and I will tell you the same thoughts ran through my head as I finished it even though I have done 4 marathons before so know I can.

With 2021 being your goal, wait on the Dopey decision. A lot can change in a year and a half and you just never know. Focus on getting back and building a good base to train off of and then, if circumstances make Dopey a possibility, you will be ready to go!

When I finished Princess half, I was dead. I finished in 2:58 which included a long line (10+ min Id say) at the evil hag and a short line at the castle. I remember thinking, no way could I do 13 more... but obviously I’d be trained differently.

When you run a 5k all out, do you feel like you could run another 5k? Probably not. Because if you could, then you weren't really doing 5k pace. It's the same for the HM to M. You aren't doing HM pace during the first 13.11 miles of the M. So it's not the same to say that you can't fathom running another 13.11 miles after the first half of the M. You pace it correctly and train well, and the first half of the M will feel "easy" and not like what a HM feels like.

POT. I’d love to qualify for a mid tier coral. I see I’d need a 2:35 half or under 2 hours ish 10 miler. I think it’s possible... but not a slam dunk. I’ve not run since Princess more than a couple of times, so Im starting at scratch again. Sigh. But that’s the truth. I live in Phoenix, so any sort of long race from May-Oct is tough. Or up north where hills become a factor. So.... maybe I could find one in March/April, but I wonder of I could get that fast, that fast! My best 10K is 1:08.01, a few weeks before Princess last year.

So that's right, as of right now the official cutoff from runDisney for POT corral for the Marathon (or Dopey) is a 1:56:39 10 miler and 2:36:12 HM. Your 1:08 10k is a 2:30 HM equivalent.

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 9.12.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 9.12.35 AM.png

So the data supports that what you've done in the past shows with good focused well designed training you can get a sub 1:57 10 miler or sub 2:36 HM under similar conditions to the 10k race. I've attached paces for a continuous runner as an example of where you should be roughly (if still in 1:08 10k shape). Primarily 80% of training would be at a 13 min/mile or slower. The numbers change a bit if you do run/walk and would depend on your walking pace.

Am I going to feel super awkward or unmotivated on my own?

That's up to you probably. There are lots of friendly people on this board who are more than willing to welcome you. Between the HH meetup on Friday, DATW on Monday, and pre-race meetups before each of the races.

Dopey.... ugh. There’s a tick in me, that’s like go big or go home. But Dopey brings up a whole host of issues, mainly time off. I’d have to take minimum 4 days, which Ive never done. But, I’m also like, 4 days of a sub in first grade never ruined anyone’s shot at Harvard. I’m also wondering if I’m goi g to feel like I’m “only” doing the marathon.

It's doable from a training perspective. It's just a matter of whether you want to commit to the training, commit to the time off, and how you'll personally feel doing "just" the marathon. Either way, it's a major accomplishment.

Training. Again, it’s super hot. Like 110 for weeks on end. How early do I need to start hardcore training? I’m currently overweight and out of shape, so part of this plan is to help that. My coworker said if not now, when, which has stuck with me!

I usually aim for 16-18 weeks prior to the event for hardcore training. But honestly, that means I'm actually ready to train and that my expectations on race day are built based on the shape I'm in at 16-18 weeks out. So I look at training as something that is mostly year-round. Because you can't start off Week 1 of the 16-18 week plan with 20 total miles after having only done 3 miles each of the last 6 weeks. So the sooner you start prepping your body for the commitment the better. Since you have that HM POT goal for March/April you've already got that carrot. And the data supports that with good training you can get there, so the incentive is doubled.

In some respects, your thought process sounds similar to mine. I started running in 2011, took a few months off after a car accident and work got insane and then resumed again in 2012 for the Coast to Coast. Then a major work exam and burnout meant that I took about 2 years off from running before the Star Wars races in Disneyland pulled right back in and then some.

I’ve gotten that itch lately to sign up for Marathon 2021. But... I’m nervous. Like can I really do this?! Random musings going through my head.
I had said for many years that I would never run a marathon. Even as recently as December 2017. All along one thing remained constant. If I ever ran a marathon, the first one would be at Walt Disney World. As I ran more and had new and different exepriences, a few different things chipped away at my resistance to the idea of the marathon and I began to seriously consider it. While I believed I could run the distance once, the training necessary to do it really concerned me. I didn't want to sacrifice that kind of time. @DopeyBadger was extremely patient as he answered my myriad questions about how a plan that relied on volume and frequency without 20 mile runs all the time would work. Suffice it to say, it did.
This was one of my mental hurdles. I was so exhausted at the end of long training runs or the race itself that I could not comprehend repeating that distance again. For whatever reason, I started to feel stronger at the end of long runs and broke down another barrier. I used Dark Side 2018 5K and Challenge as my test. How do I feel the day after the half marathon? Do I feel strong enough to go more miles in one day than the previous 3 days combined?
Dopey.... ugh. There’s a tick in me, that’s like go big or go home. But Dopey brings up a whole host of issues, mainly time off.
I wrestled with Dopey as well. Because there's a very strong argument to be made for the marathon by itself because it's the marathon. In the end, my thought process went out as follows.

Many experienced Dopey runners helped me understand that my first marathon as part of Dopey will not require much more running than just the marathon.

1. What if I run the marathon and really love it? I'll want to come back again. And this time go for Goofy or Dopey. But what if for scheduling reasons (January is difficult for as well) this winds up being the only time I can ever run the marathon?

2. What if I run the marathon and really hate it, but finish. If it's a one and done will I always regret not doing Goofy or Dopey?

I came to conclude that if I could run the marathon, Goofy or Dopey was also well within range. And if this turned out to be a one time only deal, I would know that I would have no regrets. Even then I still got cold feet about the marathon. This community helped me realize that I wanted to run the marathon for me. I wanted to see if I could do it as opposed to running it because someone else pressured me into registering. One person here even shared her experience about being swept in her first marathon attempt and how much she was truly glad she tried anyways. That helped me make peace with what if I did fail.

I'm happy to note that she succeeded in her second attempt at the marathon.

As you probably guessed, I went for Dopey. I finished Dopey. And it turns out that I had so much fun that I'm going back for Marathon Weekend 2020 and Dopey #2.

My last thought is this. If you decide to run the marathon, do so when you want to. As almost cliched as it may sound, you will know if and when you are ready to attempt the marathon.

Many experienced Dopey runners helped me understand that my first marathon as part of Dopey will not require much more running than just the marathon.

I've heard this from SO many Dopey runners. As long as you adequately train and realistically pace yourself (especially on the first three races) the biggest challenge is four 3 a.m. wake-ups, more so than the total miles. I just did the DLP 36K challenge (worked it into training for my first marathon) and I absolutely feel like I had another long run in me the next day if I had to.

As long as you adequately train and realistically pace yourself (especially on the first three races) the biggest challenge is four 3 a.m. wake-ups, more so than the total miles.
I will add that appropriate rest comes into play as part of this as well. And note that I have successfully rested rather well in both Disneyland and Walt Disney World after 6 runDisney multi race challenge weekends including Dopey. In my case, I chose parks with lots of sit down attractions or just found a bench in the shade and sat down for a while if I felt like it. I also went to bed no later than 9:00pm each night. I know many others choose to stay out later in the parks and while I want to do that, especially since Dopey cuts a lot of theme park time out of my visit, I decided to take the approach that has never failed me yet.

The second thing that really helped me in dealing with the marathon was learning how to keep a positive mindset. It sounds cliche, but learn to turn negative thoughts into positive ones.

Here are few that worked for me:

1. Upon listening to Winnie the Pooh ask me "what to do, what to do in Walt Disney World today?" when he woke me up at way too early o'clock in the morning, I replied "run the Walt Disney World race distance of today in!"

2. Develop race mantras that can make you smile. I used a lot of quotes from Rhino the Hamster in the movie Bolt and then adjusted them to fit running if I needed to. So when I felt tired/sore/questioning my running life choices during the marathon, I turned to these mantras and just saying them made me laugh as I thought of Rhino the Hamster and pictured him running a marathon in his ball. The smile and/or laughter released tension and stress.

"All my training has prepared me for this moment. DIE, WALL, DIE!!!!!"

"Let it begin! Let it begin! LET IT BEGIN!!"

Talking to the wall: "I'll rip out your spleen and hit your liver with it... "

"Ring, ring. Who is it? Destiny?! I've been expecting your call."

"Just the knowledge that each (mile) is the new single greatest (mile) of my life." (Used only after new mile distances that I had never run before)

3. You may also want more serious mantras. These work well too. There will be times when you need to dig deeper.

I went so far as to print out pages of mantras (I wanted to be prepared for all possibilities) and put them in a ziploc baggie if I actually needed to pull them out of my shorts pocket and read them during the race. While they remained in that baggie for the entire race, it helped me to know I had them if I needed them.

I came down with a bad cold 1 1/2 weeks before Dopey started. While I finally started to feel that I had turned the table the Monday before the 5K, I also gave myself permission to skip the 5K/10K, and maybe even the half if I needed to. I became more confident with each passing day that I would be fine, but still chose to be extra conservative during the 5K and 10K races. I essentially refused to "run" them because finishing would be enough. Obviously the half marathon was different, but I still took it slowly in order to preserve my legs and my strength. Now my confidence that I would be just fine for the marathon was already good because I was feeling better each day, but when I hit the later miles of the half marathon and did not feel very tired at all, I knew I was in great shape for the marathon.

Being properly trained definitely helps give you a feeling of confidence that you can do it.

I will throw out a different thought. With 2021 being the 50th anniversary of Disney World just think of the cool bling. ::yes::

My first marathon was WDW in 2007. It was 84 degrees when I finished.
I wouldn't trade that memory for anything.
I am very glad that Goofy was only in it's second year, so I never had any Dopey decisions to make. 8-)

Seriously, I wouldn't want to pre-fatigue my first marathon by three days of running and such early mornings.
Treat it like Christmas morning.
You will never get to run another "first" marathon.

The emotions you go through during that first race, when all is uncertain but you push through and get to the finish...PRICELESS.

I'm sure some here will say go for Dopey, but why? You wouldn't be the first to do so.
The fact is, a 5K, 10K, and Half are rather perfunctory when the run through 26 miles of Disney is the real summit of achievement.

A pedestrian 48.6 vs a triumphant 26.2? = No brainer.
FYI, I've done multiple Dopey's and Goofy's since that first marathon so I am definitely NOT anti 39.3 or 48.6.

Last edited:
I would keep Dopey in your sights but wait to make the final decision. You have plenty of time. I would target a spring half for your POT (or even if you don't get it just a gauge of your fitness). You have lots of time to train and build a base.

You can do it!
I’m usually one to go big, but I’m glad that I ‘only did the full’ for my first marathon. It was an amazing experience which easily stands on its own, and now in a few short months I get to relive the sense of accomplishment and adrenaline dump when I do my first Dopey.

Whichever you choose you won’t regret it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter