Talk to me about Grand Flo

EatMoreVeg

Mouseketeer
I’m considering buying another small point contract and have seen a lot of options for VGF in the contract size (60-90 pts) and UY’s we want. Originally I was thinking PVB since it seems like one of the more economical choices but the lack of booking options is a bit of a deterrent and I’ve also heard that getting a poly studio is pretty feasible at the 7 month mark, more so than at VGF at 7 months. I just don’t see the same love for VGF that PVB gets on the boards! Lol

So, I’m wondering, those who own at VGF, what do you love about it and what made you purchase at that resort? I haven’t stayed at either resort yet for the record, but feel like they are both very similar in that they’re both on the monorail and also an easy walking distance between each other if I want to access amenities at either resort.

Should I wait it out for a PVB contract or low ball on some of the VGF contracts that have been sitting for several months?

You can see the inventory on DVC info. VGF has less than 50 studios compared to almost 400 at Poly.

If you want a studio, I would not pick VGF.

I'm actually looking to buy VGF, but I'm not trying to get into a studio.

Last edited:
I’m considering buying another small point contract and have seen a lot of options for VGF in the contract size (60-90 pts) and UY’s we want. Originally I was thinking PVB since it seems like one of the more economical choices but the lack of booking options is a bit of a deterrent and I’ve also heard that getting a poly studio is pretty feasible at the 7 month mark, more so than at VGF at 7 months. I just don’t see the same love for VGF that PVB gets on the boards! Lol

So, I’m wondering, those who own at VGF, what do you love about it and what made you purchase at that resort? I haven’t stayed at either resort yet for the record, but feel like they are both very similar in that they’re both on the monorail and also an easy walking distance between each other if I want to access amenities at either resort.

Should I wait it out for a PVB contract or low ball on some of the VGF contracts that have been sitting for several months?
What @RoseGold said. Studios are a hard-to-get reservation at VGF, especially during busy DVC times like fall frenzy. And a 60-90 point contract won’t get you very far at VGF. Take a hard look at the points charts. A studio will run anywhere from 17-37 points per night, depending on the view and the season.

I still love VGF and own quite a few points there. You pretty much have to own there if you want to book a studio at VGF. The buy-in price is high but the dues are among the lowest of all of the resorts. PVB is great until you want something bigger than a studio. Then you always have to wait until 7 months unless you have enough points for a bungalow.

It doesn’t hurt to make an offer on a VGF contract. The owner may refuse outright or make a counteroffer. You never know unless you try. But give serious consideration to a larger contract. 60-90 points is fine for an add-on to existing points. It’s not a good starting point unless you plan to travel every 2-3 years for less than a week and can be flexible enough with your vacation time to go when you can actually snag a studio.

Edited to add VGF Points Chart:
https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/GF-Points.htm

Last edited:
we contemplated adding on to VGF, but wanted 1 bedrooms and decided on 160 point SSR and take our chances at 7 months. We already own at CCV and BWV, so these are more of a 3rd trio option or bank to have a nice vacation every other year.

You can see the inventory on DVC info. VGF has less than 50 studios compared to almost 400 at Poly.

If you want a studio, I would not pick VGF.

I'm actually looking to buy VGF, but I'm not trying to get into a studio.
What @RoseGold said. Studios are a hard-to-get reservation at VGF, especially during busy DVC times like fall frenzy. And a 60-90 point contract won’t get you very far at VGF. Take a hard look at the points charts. A studio will run anywhere from 17-37 points per night, depending on the view and the season.

I still love VGF and own quite a few points there. You pretty much have to own there if you want to book a studio at VGF. The buy-in price is high but the dues are among the lowest of all of the resorts. PVB is great until you want something bigger than a studio. Then you always have to wait until 7 months unless you have enough points for a bungalow.

It doesn’t hurt to make an offer on a VGF contract. The owner may refuse outright or make a counteroffer. You never know unless you try. But give serious consideration to a larger contract. 60-90 points is fine for an add-on to existing points. It’s not a good starting point unless you plan to travel every 2-3 years for less than a week and can be flexible enough with your vacation time to go when you can actually snag a studio.

Edited to add VGF Points Chart:
https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/GF-Points.htm

Thank you, you both make good points! We do already own at BLT, AKV and BWV, all smaller point contracts as the plan is to do split stays every 2-3 years. If it’s just my hubby and I, than yes, a studio would be the goal but we have plans over the next 5-6 years to travel with extended family so would probably book 1 or 2 bedrooms, so I would like the option to do this at 11 months rather than wait until 7 months to be able to book a 1 bedroom with PVB points.

@Marionnette, what are some of the things you love about VGF? From your own experiences, would you say it’s difficult to book a studio even at 11 months?

We've been able to book a VGF standard one bedroom in early May for four or five nights at seven months out. We don't stay in studios other than OKW studios.

Thank you, you both make good points! We do already own at BLT, AKV and BWV, all smaller point contracts as the plan is to do split stays every 2-3 years. If it’s just my hubby and I, than yes, a studio would be the goal but we have plans over the next 5-6 years to travel with extended family so would probably book 1 or 2 bedrooms, so I would like the option to do this at 11 months rather than wait until 7 months to be able to book a 1 bedroom with PVB points.

@Marionnette, what are some of the things you love about VGF? From your own experiences, would you say it’s difficult to book a studio even at 11 months?
I’ve always loved GF for its Victorian charm and the crisp, white railings. The villas side is detached from the hotel, which makes it a little less busy. There’s rarely a crowd in the lobby. The villas are spacious and have a brightness that I find AKV, CCV and PVB lack. It just seems to be more airy and light. It has its own lobby and check in. Parking in the villas lot is plentiful. It is a bit of a walk to the monorail and bus stop but it’s a covered walkway and I don’t find it to be any more distant than some of the outer buildings. The boat dock is a bit of a long haul. Plus there’s that new walkway to the MK going in, eventually, that will make access to the MK that much easier.

Getting a studio at 11-months isn’t too hard if you’re willing to go for a lake view instead of standard views, travel outside of Fall Frenzy, get online before 8 AM, be prepared to book as soon as the clock ticks 8:00, and have a fast internet. Any time around the holidays is going to be hard regardless of view. There just aren’t a lot of studios and many people buy small contracts to be able to stay at the GF. Being self-employed, we can choose to vacation when we are able to book the room we want instead of trying to get a room for when our vacation week falls. If I fail to get a specific villa today, I just try again tomorrow. It has worked out so far. But lately, we tend to book 1BR villas for myself and husband. I book studios for my kids when they want to go.

We own at VGF and love it. It has great energy and good light. The restaurants are some of the best with Poly a very short walk away and Contemporary only 2 stops on the monorail and soon a walking path to MK. You really cannot beat the location. I love the gift shops, the band, the grounds, all of it. When we stay elsewhere and end up seeing it on the monorail or whatever, even the kids ask why we didn't stay there. My husband only wants to stay there when he's with. Golf course across the street. Also has a spa and salon out the door of the Villas.

We have never booked a studio but when I have been interested in one, its tight. One thing I wish I had realized about VGF before buying was how expensive the nights are. 50-60 points will not get you far even if you bank and borrow. I feel like with such a small contract, you'll be asking for frustration. And if you end up blending your points at 7 months with your BWV points because studios are full, then you overpaid for those 50-60 points, see what I mean? When you pay for VGF points or worse, VGC, using them anywhere else is sort of a waste.

We were recently deciding between the same two resorts for a resale purchase. We visited and stayed at Poly. To help make up our minds, after extensive pseudo-intellectual pro-con deliberations which had taken us nowhere, we walked back and forth between the two resorts -- probably multiple times each day -- and tried to simply pay attention to our gut impressions.

Poly - dim warmth, immersion, fun, tropical, secluded paths, casual and accessible, whimsical toy shops, grab your own food

GF - bright, hot pavement, formal, fancy clothes, open space, expensive shops, waiters and attendants for everything

We realized much of what we'd liked about GF was theoretical, and, putting our expectations (and perhaps brains) aside, we felt embraced by the warm happiness of the Poly.

Getting a studio at 11-months isn’t too hard if you’re willing to go for a lake view instead of standard views, travel outside of Fall Frenzy, get online before 8 AM, be prepared to book as soon as the clock ticks 8:00, and have a fast internet.

Tell me more. Does the moon also have to be full? :)

We were recently deciding between the same two resorts for a resale purchase. We visited and stayed at Poly. To help make up our minds, after extensive pseudo-intellectual pro-con deliberations which had taken us nowhere, we walked back and forth between the two resorts -- probably multiple times each day -- and tried to simply pay attention to our gut impressions.

Poly - dim warmth, immersion, fun, tropical, secluded paths, casual and accessible, whimsical toy shops, grab your own food

GF - bright, hot pavement, formal, fancy clothes, open space, expensive shops, waiters and attendants for everything

We realized much of what we'd liked about GF was theoretical, and, putting our expectations (and perhaps brains) aside, we felt embraced by the warm happiness of the Poly.

I kinda figured this conversation thread would be a lesson in futility and lead me no where further than I was before, but it's been nice to hear other people's views on these two resorts in particular! I might end up having to do what you did the next time I'm there. The only real rush is my own impatience 🙃

We own at VGF and love it. It has great energy and good light. The restaurants are some of the best with Poly a very short walk away and Contemporary only 2 stops on the monorail and soon a walking path to MK. You really cannot beat the location. I love the gift shops, the band, the grounds, all of it. When we stay elsewhere and end up seeing it on the monorail or whatever, even the kids ask why we didn't stay there. My husband only wants to stay there when he's with. Golf course across the street. Also has a spa and salon out the door of the Villas.

We have never booked a studio but when I have been interested in one, its tight. One thing I wish I had realized about VGF before buying was how expensive the nights are. 50-60 points will not get you far even if you bank and borrow. I feel like with such a small contract, you'll be asking for frustration. And if you end up blending your points at 7 months with your BWV points because studios are full, then you overpaid for those 50-60 points, see what I mean? When you pay for VGF points or worse, VGC, using them anywhere else is sort of a waste.

I was thinking more closer to the 90 point contracts I've been seeing, but I see your point. You certainly don't have to convince me to want more points, just my husband ;)

Kind of a biased description of the two resorts. Formal, fancy clothes?? Only maybe in Victoria and Albert's or if there is a wedding going on. Grab your own food at the Polynesian? What about the counter service and two pool dining areas at the GF? We stayed at the Polynesian on our first trip and we were a group of five. The Polynesian had enough beds for all of us and it was close to the MK where we spent most of our time. But that was the last time we have stayed there. No need to stay there again especially in the villas since they are only studios or bungalows. We do like the GFV and have stayed in a one bedroom twice so far. The covered and open walkways to the main resort from the villas are a pleasant walk past the pool, a water fountain, gardens and lots of flowers. The courtyard pool is a nice leisure pool and not as noisy as the Alice in Wonderland themed pool closer to the villas, but the themed pool is great for kids of all ages.

Kind of a biased description of the two resorts. Formal, fancy clothes?? Only maybe in Victoria and Albert's or if there is a wedding going on. Grab your own food at the Polynesian? What about the counter service and two pool dining areas at the GF? We stayed at the Polynesian on our first trip and we were a group of five. The Polynesian had enough beds for all of us and it was close to the MK where we spent most of our time. But that was the last time we have stayed there. No need to stay there again especially in the villas since they are only studios or bungalows. We do like the GFV and have stayed in a one bedroom twice so far. The covered and open walkways to the main resort from the villas are a pleasant walk past the pool, a water fountain, gardens and lots of flowers. The courtyard pool is a nice leisure pool and not as noisy as the Alice in Wonderland themed pool closer to the villas, but the themed pool is great for kids of all ages.

Gut feelings are always biased generalizations, and I described ours. My suggestion is that those who are on the fence try turning to the same..

In our case we found that we liked the idea of a resort better than the resort itself

These resorts are my two favorites. VGF is where my wife and I got engaged, so it has sentimental value which obviously wouldn't apply to you; but it's definitely our style and absolutely love the Victorian charm/vibe of the resort (by the way, the "stuffyness" is completely overblown; we've walked through the resort/lobby in swimwear multiple times and never felt out of place..).

Honestly, the two deciding factors for us were the lack of room categories at Poly and the eventual walking path at VGF. It's certainly not as short as BLT, but you simply can't beat the convenience of being able to walk to the MK on your own schedule.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts