Talked husband into split staying DL/DCA and Universal...please help with MUST sees!

What is the difference between USO and USH? Other than Harry Potter at one (the kids and adults both dont have much interest in Harry Potter at all).

I've never been to USO so I'll let someone else compare, but USH is pretty small. We went to USH for two days last year and the only things we didn't manage were Mummy (my kids were too scared) and the Simpsons ride (I get sick on simulators and I recall that this one is worse than Star Tours). The backstage tour and Jurassic World are neat, but not worth the price of admission on their own. Harry Potter is the big draw and I thought that was worth it. If you aren't interested in Harry Potter then I would save my money and spend my time touring Hollywood and doing the Warner Bros tour. There is a TMZ tour that leaves from Hollywood and Highland that I thought was fun if you are into Bravo type shows - Vanderpump, etc.

ETA - Harry Potter is at both USO and USH. USO has two parks and two HP lands. There are more big thrill roller coasters at USO.

I would only do one day at Universal but buy the more expensive front of the line ticket.

I haven't been to Warner Bros tour, but I do know that often more parts are closed during the week due to filming. If you do plan to go there, a weekend day may be more successful, although I'd prefer to spend the weekend at Disneyland myself.

You don't need a lot of days touring Hollywood/Santa Monica, etc. I feel like I'd be done in a day. I wouldn't go out of my way to visit Santa Monica, but it's worth a stop if you are going to be in the area.

Does your husband like cars? If so, there's a car museum in Los Angeles that I have on my own bucket list. For some extra $, you can buy a tour of the basement vault where they have a gold car and some other very rare cars from movies, etc.

If you want to visit the beach, Orange County has nicer beaches than Los Angeles. There are lots of beaches with nice little areas to shop and do other things. I won't go into them specifically unless that's something you're interested in.

I've never been to USO so I'll let someone else compare, but USH is pretty small. We went to USH for two days last year and the only things we didn't manage were Mummy (my kids were too scared) and the Simpsons ride (I get sick on simulators and I recall that this one is worse than Star Tours). The backstage tour and Jurassic World are neat, but not worth the price of admission on their own. Harry Potter is the big draw and I thought that was worth it. If you aren't interested in Harry Potter then I would save my money and spend my time touring Hollywood and doing the Warner Bros tour. There is a TMZ tour that leaves from Hollywood and Highland that I thought was fun if you are into Bravo type shows - Vanderpump, etc.

ETA - Harry Potter is at both USO and USH. USO has two parks and two HP lands. There are more big thrill roller coasters at USO.

I'm sorry I just realized USO = Universal Orlando and USH is Universal Hollywood. :sad2:

Personally unless you love Harry Potter I don't think USH is worth the trip. Especially if you've already been to USO.

BINGO!! THIS!! We went in 2006 and thought it was boring. Tried giving it another try last April and was VERY underwhelmed, disappointed. The lines were ridiculously insane (over an hour for literally everything). We felt like most of the attractions were simulators and not actual rides. The Harry Potter stuff was neat but I wouldn't do it again anytime soon.

I'm sorry, what is USH and USO? And my impression of the Hollywood area, is to save the cost of ubering back and forth on multiple days, it would be much more convenient to just stay for several days in a DLR hotel, see what we want in that area, then change hotels to be in a more centralized Hollywood Hotel to do Universal Hollywood and the surrounding area.
As you figured out, USO = Universal Studios Orlando and USH = Universal Studios Hollywood
This thread (from the stickies at the top of the first page) explains a lot of the acronyms and abbreviations that get used on this board: DLR Abbreviations List
Keep in mind that a lot of the things you want to see in Hollywood (e.g. Hollywood Sign, Chinese Theatre, Walk of Fame, etc.) can be seen from one location (the Hollywood & Highland shopping center) and can be seen in about an hour or two at most. This is not a whole day endeavor and may not be worth the hassle of changing hotels. Many DLR guests do a beach day in Orange County -- there are several very nice beaches about 30 minutes away from the parks. Some people drive, some use ride share, and some take a bus tour.

Keep in mind that a lot of the things you want to see in Hollywood (e.g. Hollywood Sign, Chinese Theatre, Walk of Fame, etc.) can be seen from one location (the Hollywood & Highland shopping center) and can be seen in about an hour or two at most. This is not a whole day endeavor and may not be worth the hassle of changing hotels.

Agreed. The OP might consider taking Metrolink (commuter rail) from the Anaheim station to LA Union Station, and the Metro Red Line to the Hollywood/Highland station. Metrolink is cheaper than Amtrak, and a round trip ticket includes the Metro subway fare. Also, Red Line has a stop at Universal. Keep in mind that it's a commuter line so the hours are limited in each direction. IMO you'll be done with Universal in late afternoon so that's not a big problem.

Coming in late, but the La Brea Tar Pits are a lot of fun and you could easily spend a couple of hours in the free outside areas.

Is the WB Studio Tour different than Universal Studios?

If you want a behind the scenes tour of an actual working movie studio and not a theme park ride, The Warner Brothers Studio Tour is for you. It’s expensive, but you get what you pay for-it's worth it.
The forecourt of the Chinese Theater with all the handprints and footprints is fun and free. The tour of the inside is okay, but I thought it was overpriced. I'd skip the walk of fame. It seems like a cool thing to do, but it's just names on a sidewalk. It gets boring pretty quickly.
Griffith Observatory is wonderful, and you get some great views of the Hollywood sign.
If you or anyone in your group is interested in ancient Rome, the Getty Villa is amazing.
The Paley Center for Media sometimes has cool TV related memorbilia on display. I'd check and see what the special exhibit is before you go.
The Grammy Museum is incredibly well done.

While this most likely be covered by a tour, I'll just toss out some random ideas, that I think haven't been mentioned yet.! Some of them might be a little random, lol, but they are options, haha!

LA sites:
1.Beverly Hills (if simply for window shopping & photo opps)

2.Malibu (this would probably require renting a car, but if you end up going to Santa Monica, a quick drive up PCH will provide some classic California views as well as more less touristy beaches.

3. Museums - Getty Center, Broad (both free), California Science Center, as well as the previously mentioned La Brea Tar Pits, Peterson Automotive, etc.

4. Hollywood Bowl

-------------------------------

Alternative Ideas:

San Diego - About 2 hours south of Disneyland, you could venture there & check out San Diego Zoo & Wild Animal Park, Balboa Park, downtown San Diego....if this is like a one & dine trip in terms of Cali, could be cool to see another major city since it's so close.

Catalina Island - This could be a cool day trip... (and if you leave from Long Beach, the Queen Mary is there)

Agreed that the Orange County beaches are so much nicer than LA beaches. We like to stay in Laguna Beach for a few nights and Anaheim for a few nights. While we could certainly just hang out in Laguna, we love having a car and would never visit CA without it. We have driven to San Clemente (beautiful spot to watch the sunset), Oceanside, San Diego, Huntington, Long Beach, Hollywood, Santa Monica etc and always have a great time. We like to wake up and walk down the beach to Starbucks, walk back to hotel, look at the ocean some more, hop in the car and go wherever, and be back at the beach to watch the sunset and get gelato. My husband likes record stores, I like shopping, we both love the beach, and we both love Disneyland, so it’s our perfect vacation spot!

Also agreed that Universal Hollywood is just ok, especially if you’ve been to FL. The studio tour and HP are our favorite parts. Like others said it’s a one day park max.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter