Talking Mickey leaving Town Square theater

Status
Not open for further replies.

DH and I were able to score a FP for talking Mickey last November, and we enjoyed it, but I don't have a problem with TM going away, either.
I don't know if it was normal or not, but he was pretty quiet, like the volume should have been turned up a decent amount.
Also, the pauses after questions are a bit weird.

I don't disagree. But if this is a beloved attraction, one would think Disney would figure out a way to keep it through re-engineering or bring it back once they are able to address the safety concerns and still provide the quality of discourse they have/had.
The implication I read (here in this thread; I have no other knowledge of the sitation) was that they've been trying for years to "fix" this attraction, with no real success. Disney is magical, but there are limits to even their abilities. Maybe it just couldn't really be done?

The implication I read (here in this thread; I have no other knowledge of the sitation) was that they've been trying for years to "fix" this attraction, with no real success. Disney is magical, but there are limits to even their abilities. Maybe it just couldn't really be done?

I admittedly have not read all the replies here (especially given a thread or two were merged with the original) so I missed that chatter. Certainly there's a limit to current tech. Maybe one day they can overcome those limitations and bring it back.

We went there two days in a row around the time the park opened. The first day, there were span of 15 minutes where the line did not move at all.

The second day, Mickey had to excuse himself after 5 min, not sure if it was a tech issue. But certainly didn’t seem like it can run as smooch as possible.

My family and I saw him in September and enjoyed it. It was definately a different experience than with a non verbal Mickey.

I have to say, this doesn't sound like a bad idea to me... We've seen him three times but he was only talking on one of those visits, which tells me the up-time on the talking feature isn't particularly good. From a guest satisfaction standpoint, it is probably better to not have the talking meet and greet at all than to have it with the amount of downtime it seems to have. DISers not withstanding, the average guest is going to be more disappointed by waiting in line to meet Talking Mickey only to catch him when he's silent than just having Mickey be a non-talking character like all the rest. Retiring a glitchy, high-cost, high-labor attraction that frequently disappoints and replacing it with a lower-cost, tried-and-true attraction that doesn't just seems smart all the way around. Yes, those of us who knew about it and liked it will miss Talking Mickey, but for most guests it will be a case of not being able to miss what you've never had.

Aww - how sad. In honesty - I've never seen TM - but I was soo looking forward to taking my LO to see him this fall on our trip. He LOVES Mickey and would have loved this experience. I wonder though - because of my lack of knowledge of such things - the Crush interaction at EPCOT seems to work well, why can't they find a way to make this work somehow too...

because of my lack of knowledge of such things - the Crush interaction at EPCOT seems to work well,
The Crush interaction does not need a massive “team” to run efficiently. A CM with a view of the Crush audience speaks into a microphone. That show is simple compared to what is involved for Talking Mickey to interact with guests who enter the 4 different meet and greet rooms.

I wonder though - because of my lack of knowledge of such things - the Crush interaction at EPCOT seems to work well, why can't they find a way to make this work somehow too...
Nobody will care if “Crush’s” voice is a bit different from his voice in the movies. (Very few guests could pick his voice from a myriad of other “Valley Surfers’ ” drawls.)
But, Mickey Mouse’s voice is considered by the Disney Co. to be extremely special and is highly “monitored and protected” so that guests always hear the correct voice... that of the company icon.

Everytime I’ve gone to see him people ask him things that only the handler can answer for him. What’s the point if he isn’t truly a talking Mickey? He says a few prerecorded statements. It never seemed worth the trouble to have a talking Mickey.

Everytime I’ve gone to see him people ask him things that only the handler can answer for him? What’s the point if he isn’t truly a talking Mickey. He says a few prerecorded statements. It never seemed worth the trouble to have a talking Mickey.
Disney now appears to agree with you.

The Crush interaction does not need a massive “team” to run efficiently. A CM with a view of the Crush audience speaks into a microphone. That show is simple compared to what is involved for Talking Mickey to interact with guests who enter the 4 different meet and greet rooms.
I got ya - its quite different. I just (selfishly) hoping that 2018 Disney Technology could find a way.

Nobody will care if “Crush’s” voice is a bit different from his voice in the movies. (Very few guests could pick his voice from a myriad of other “Valley Surfers’ ” drawls.)
But, Mickey Mouse’s voice is considered by the Disney Co. to be extremely special and is highly “monitored and protected” so that guests always hear the correct voice... that of the company icon.
Didn't think of that perspective - but very true.

Didn't think of that perspective - but very true.
I still look at the whole thing as being a test by Disney on new technology. Obviously it has issues which is why it’s being withdrawn. I wouldn’t rule out a return after the Imangineers have had a chance to tweek the tech and mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter