Talking Mickey leaving Town Square theater

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still look at the whole thing as being a test by Disney on new technology. Obviously it has issues which is why it’s being withdrawn. I wouldn’t rule out a return after the Imangineers have had a chance to tweek the tech and mechanics.
I don’t think many are saying otherwise.
But, what they offer now (and are ending) is the result of years of other tests.
What they chose to offer is the “compromise” they made to present Talking Mickey interacting directly with guests daily at WDW.
The attraction, as it sits, IS the result of all the previous years of testing. It appears (since they are ending this) that it just didn’t live up to expectations in relation to its cost (staffing and money.)
And, I do think that they will continue to explore newer avenues of this for future attractions.
Biggest probability (and easiest to implement quickly) is the “Mickey, Minnie, Donald Combo” that they recently offered for guests at Disneyland.

But, what they offer now (and are ending) is the result of years of other tests.
What they chose to offer is the “compromise” they made to present Talking Mickey interacting directly with guests daily at WDW.
The attraction, as it sits, IS the result of all the previous years of testing. It appears (since they are ending this) that it just didn’t live up to expectations in relation to its cost (staffing and money.)
And, I do think that they will continue to explore newer avenues of this for future attractions.
Biggest probability (and easiest to implement quickly) is the “Mickey, Minnie, Donald Combo” that they recently offered for guests at Disneyland.
Well I guess we can agree to disagree. The corrections needed may be to large to implement while the attraction is on-going. I don’t recall how long it’s has been in operation but tech may have evolved enough to require a total retooling. I can’t see Disney giving up on talking reactive characters as a concept.

Well I guess we can agree to disagree. The corrections needed may be to large to implement while the attraction is on-going. I don’t recall how long it’s has been in operation but tech may have evolved enough to require a total retooling. I can’t see Disney giving up on talking reactive characters as a concept.
To an outsider of the conversation, it looks to me like you're agreeing with each other, just coming at it from different angles :).

To an outsider of the conversation, it looks to me like you're agreeing with each other, just coming at it from different angles :).
@Robo’s description of the 3 character interaction is preprogrammed, it’s not reactive at all.

Talking Mickey began in 2014 and has constantly been tweaked to decrease stress on the CMs. Current “reactive interaction” with the latest tech hasn’t progressed much. Minnie’s preprogrammed response time today in DHS was well beyond a “pause”:
https://twitter.com/disneyparks/status/955136157326569472?ref_src=twcamp^share|twsrc^ios|twgr^com.apple.UIKit.activity.Message

The animated heads are very heavy - equivalent to supporting a bowling ball encasing your head. When adults and kids tug on Mickey’s ears, punch his head, or try to knock off his head, neck injuries result for the CM.

The onstage time for the CMs was decreased to lessen the stress on their bodies especially when whoever developed this meet and greet had them spinning like teacups, chugging around the room as a train, and flying around like Peter Pan.

All stage shows now use the lighter weight heads and they are pre-programmed and synced to the dialog. The CM only has to learn choreography. Talking Mickey’s blinks and smiles are controlled by the character performer so consists of a lot more tech.

Oh that is not good for the performers. I have heard that some performers get neck and shoulder injuries when being certain characters but wearing the talking mickey head is a whole other story.

A bowling ball encompassing your head???
That isnt good.

I hope these young performers do not sustain permanent or ongoing injuries wearing that head.

God Bless them. They should be paid danger money for all that they endure.

Reactions: TAK

I have to say - this is good news to me. (Though - I must admit - it was funny to be sung Happy Birthday from Mickey ON my actual birthday one year (I was on business travel and hence alone - so it kind of made my day)

I am glad he is going away.
I always thought he was creepy plus as a mother of a CM I am 100% for CM safety !!!!!!!

Reactions: TAK
Is there any update to this thread? Kenny the pirate and a few other places posted in April that this was to phase out in May. Now that we are in June is there any update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!