Tanner's wish trip with The Dream Factory

PrincessTeacher

Earning My Ears
We are so excited that we have been granted Tanner's wish to visit WDW via The Dream Factory, Arizona Chapter.

:mickeyjum

Tanner was born in August of 2010 three days early. At the time of his birth we thought everything was completely normal and that he was a healthy almost 9 pound baby. After being in the hospital for 24 hours Tanner had still not had a bowel movement. This caused concern for the doctors, and they decided to keep us in the hospital for an additional night for observation and to try a suppository. Nothing worked, and we were discharged with directions to go straight down to Seattle Children's hospital. We were told that a surgeon who specialized in rectal malformations would be waiting for us to arrive and examine Tanner. We arrived at Children's, and saw the surgeon. He did find that Tanner had an imperferate Anus, which means that his anus did not match up with his rectum. Tanner was immediately admitted to the NICU and had a 9 hour surgery just a couple of hours after admittance. We breathed a sigh of relief when everything turned out well, and we thought this was the end of our medical issues with him. Boy we're we wrong! A few days later we found out that Tanner also had Hypothyroid, which was discovered on his newborn screening. At 5 months old, Tanner developed a bad case of RSV which resulted in a two week hospital stay. The episodes of RSV continued and frequent hospital stays (2-4 weeks at a time) became a part of daily life. Tanner was eventually placed with an NG tube to allow fluid to stay away from his lungs, as the doctors found he was aspirating fluid. This helped with his lungs and colds, but in the midst of all of this Tanner was still not rolling over, sitting up, starting to crawl, etc. At 10 months old, we thought it was because of his long stays in the hospital without any opportunities to move around or be on the floor for tummy time, etc. at 12 months old Tanner had a GTube placed, and hadn't to have a cyst removed from his thuroglossal duct (under the chin) that became infected. By the time Tanner reached 14 months old the neurodevelopmental pediatrician decided to do some tests to determine if Tanner had a form of Muscular Dystrophy, which thank goodness came back negative. They went ahead with a genetic test that determined that Tanner had a chunk of chromosome 14 missing. According to their research records, they only had information on 4 other children with the same part of the chromosome deleted. This was an extremely scary time for us. We came to terms with his diagnosis and decided to take one day at a time and just love Tanner for who he was. This started a sleuth of specialty visits and in home therapy visits! Fast forward a couple of years and Tanner is doing great. He still can't walk for too long (maybe 20-30 steps) without the help of a walker, but even with he walker he can only walk 10-15 minutes before becoming tired and falling frequently. So we use his wheelchair when we know we will be out for long periods of time. He was diagnosed by the neurologist with hypotonic Cerebral Palsy. This is a less common form, as he doesnt have spastic movements or tight muscles, but low muscle tone. Every day he brings us joy and has taught our daughter patience and understanding as a sibling. Our daughter Whitney was only 20 months old when Tanner was born, and it was very difficult to navigate caring for Whitney and making sure she had what she needed while being there for Tanner also!

Boy, that was a long history! I will post more about how we came to be granted Tanner's wish trip in the next post!

Last edited:
:earsboy::banana:About two years ago it was suggested that Tanner obtain a walker to help him gain more gross motor skills. We put in a prescription for a walker and a wheelchair (as he was growing out of the stroller we had) and it was denied by insurance. The reason for denial actually said "walker is not needed since it will not be used for rehabilitative purposes!" I called in to ask what that meant, and the representative mentioned that since he hadn't walked before it was not necessary to obtain a walker for any reason. Ok! Well fast forward a couple of months, and my sister and I were going around to different garage sales and we stumbled upon one that had a pediatric walker for sale. When I asked her how much she wanted for it, she told me a $1, and handed me a card saying that she worked for a company called Raising Special Kids. I was thrilled with my purchase and we got almost three years of use out of the walker! In my struggles to get insurance to pay for a wheelchair I called the woman I had met and asked if she had any advice for me. During the conversation she referred me to HopeKids, which is a wonderful organization. So we signed up for HopeKids. On the HopeKids Facebook page, this woman posted a question, asking for parents to say what their child's wish would be if they were granted one. I mentioned in a comment that Tanner would love to go to Disney World or Disney Hawaii! About a day later, the lady sent me a private message and asked me to call a woman who was the director for the Dream Factory of Arizona. So, I called her and we chatted about Tanner's dream, and she emailed me an application. I filled it out (this was June of 2016!) and emailed it to her, and I never heard anything back from her. I had actually forgotten all about the dream when out of the blue the same gal from the Dream Factory contacted me via email to ask if we would still like to be considered for a wish trip for Tanner. I was thrilled and said of course! She sent me what felt like a million more forms, had a home visit from her husband, and a little more than a week later she called me say that we had been chosen for a trip leaving in September of 2017! This came on so fast, and now we are less than four weeks away! It is kind of nice that it is coming up so soon, because I have a hard time with patience!!! BUT......I am a planner, and it is hard for me to not know all the details (spending money, etc.)!

We just got our flight information sent to us, and I think we will also be a part of Something mAAgic Foundation's mAAgic flight this year through American Airlines. This blessing is just so overwhelming, but our little guy is so deserving to have some fun!

Our family! Husband (Devin) Me, Whitney (8yo.) and Tanner (in the picture he is 6 I think!) We can't wait to experience this trip together!

Last edited:
We got a brochure in the mail from Give Kids the World, and the kids were thrilled to open it and go over it together at dinner! It was so exciting to see our names on the brochure welcoming us! Tanner can't wait to meet the "Easter Bunny" as he calls Mayor Clayton! We laughed about him calling the Mayor the Easter Bunny and then told Tanner that he isn't the Easter Bunny, and that he lives at GKTW all the time!!! We also received an email from our wish grantor stating that she would be sending our expense check sometime this week! :jumping1: I am so excited to see what the amount is. I am such a planner, and we are on such a strict budget at home that I feel uncomfortable making plans for dining reservations and other things without knowing how much to expect. We want to take the kids to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, and are hoping to have the expense check cover the tickets to this, and still have enough for other meals and souvenirs without nickel and diming too much! I am looking forward to potentially having a vacation where I don't have to think about money first!!! Our wish grantor also said she would be by the day before our trip to drop off goodie bags and surprises for the kids.....then she wanted to know things that my husband and I would like! I didn't even know how to answer that question!!! I thought this was all about Tanner and our Daughter, but it turns out they want to spoil all of us! I almost feel uncomfortable accepting such generosity.....but I am trying to humble myself and enjoy each moment, because this won't happen again!

Last night, we had the best time with the kids watching all sorts of YouTube videos about Disney World! We watched all kinds of videos from secrets, to bizarre things that have happened over the years, to bloopers of character meet and greets! We were all laughing and dreaming of what will come in the next TWO WEEKS and TWO DAYS!!!! EEEEEE!!!!!!!!!
:earsboy::earsboy:

Wow! Your family surely has been through a lot I can't even imagine... Its good to hear that Tanner is doing well now I bet he is so excited for the trip! I will be following along!!

Tanner is such a sweet boy! His birthday is tomorrow, here is a picture of him! He is so excited to turn 7 and celebrate with family. We will have a small party tomorrow for a few of his friends from class!Tanner.jpg

Here is my family! We will all be enjoying this experience together! Our daughter, Whitney is 8 years old, almost 9. She was only 20 months when Tanner was born, and so she was not allowed to be in the hospital room with him. My husband and I always had to take turns staying at home with her and staying at the hospital with Tanner. She was drug from doctor's office to doctor's office for 18 months, and she was a trooper through it all. I am so proud of her, because she has become compassionate, caring, and looks out for Tanner when she needs too! She deserves to be spoiled as much as Tanner does! Her life was changed dramatically when we started this journey of health troubles for Tanner!

Attachments

• file-3.jpeg
    file-3.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 28

:yay::yay::banana::tigger::tink:It was an exciting day! I got home from a long week at school (I teach 2nd Grade) to a package from mAAgic flight! It has tshirts, a Disney gift card, luggage tags, other little goodies, and even a letter to Tanner from Buzz Lightyear! It really made the trip feel real! I will try and post a picture of the package later!

Well today I am feeling a little unsettled as I watch what his happening with Hurricane Irma. I talked to our wish coordinator and she said everything is staying as planned for right now. I am hoping that the hurricane isn't as bad as they are projecting, or that maybe it calms down a bit over the next couple of days. My husband worked offshore in the gulf and said storms can get hyped up quite a bit on media until it is closer to land....this is adding some stress and anxiety in myself and my kids! I am hoping for a little pixie dust magic! :sad2::sad::scared1:

Today is exactly a week before we leave for Florida! I am trying to settle down about the hurricane and understand that some things are out of my control! We had a great day on Saturday celebrating Tanner turning 7. It was a perfect day with friends and family! I have included a picture of him blowing out his candles! I am also finally getting around to posting the goodies we received from mAAgicflight! It was such a fun package to receive!

The kids really want to eat at Be Our Guest so they can try the "grey stuff" but I have called every day and haven't been able to get a reservation. We will try walking up on the days we are in MK to see if we can get in! I haven't started packing....I'm still figuring out exactly what to bring and what I want to wear so that I am comfortable in the heat and humidity!!!

We should be getting our expense check today....she was delayed in sending it. I have been anxious about it since she mentioned sending it almost two weeks ago. I have a real problem with budgeting and planning everything!! HAHA!

Attachments

• maagic flight.jpeg
    maagic flight.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Tanner Birthday.jpeg
    Tanner Birthday.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 11
Well I am an anxious mess. From all of the reports and things I am looking at we should still be on for flying to Orlando on Thursday, but I am scared to get excited or start packing. It is such an unusually mix of emotions. Sad for the people of Florida, sad that our trip might have to be postponed last minute, anxious because if our trip is on I have a lot of packing to do, and a lot of sub plans to write for my classroom, and lastly I do feel excited in the anticipation of this magical vacation and all of the unknown surprises that will happen with mAAgic flight and GKTW! I can't relax, I can't sit still. I'm a mess right now, but trying to keep it together.

Your kids are adorable! I hope your trip goes off without a hitch! I totally understand the sub-plan nightmare!

Your kids are adorable! I hope your trip goes off without a hitch! I totally understand the sub-plan nightmare!
It is so much work to do if the trip gets cancelled so I have been dragging my feet a little bit! The trip page is counting down as normal, and I know there is not really a flood potential in Orlando right now. Trying to think positive!!!

Well I am an anxious mess. From all of the reports and things I am looking at we should still be on for flying to Orlando on Thursday, but I am scared to get excited or start packing. It is such an unusually mix of emotions. Sad for the people of Florida, sad that our trip might have to be postponed last minute, anxious because if our trip is on I have a lot of packing to do, and a lot of sub plans to write for my classroom, and lastly I do feel excited in the anticipation of this magical vacation and all of the unknown surprises that will happen with mAAgic flight and GKTW! I can't relax, I can't sit still. I'm a mess right now, but trying to keep it together.
You may have already done this, but if not consider putting the American airlines app on your phone. You can enter your details and keep track of your flights. It's very helpful.
Wishing you a wonderful trip!

You may have already done this, but if not consider putting the American airlines app on your phone. You can enter your details and keep track of your flights. It's very helpful.
Wishing you a wonderful trip!
Thank you for the suggestion! I did sign up to receive email updates of the flight status, but it might make me feel better to look at it quickly on my own!!!

Thank you for the suggestion! I did sign up to receive email updates of the flight status, but it might make me feel better to look at it quickly on my own!!!
I flew American on Friday from Orlando home. The app was very helpful for keeping up with a delay. Of course, I watched the screens in the terminal as well.
Happy packing, and I'm glad your family is going on a wish trip! pixiedust:pixiedust:

Well as of now it looks like our trip is on! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I have been a basket case today. I came to terms with postponing the trip until my sweet husband reminded me that our caregiver for Tanner scheduled a trip to go see her family out of state when she found out we would be gone for a week. So I started hyperventilating a little bit st the thought of trying to find a back up in case of a cancellation. I only get so many days of paid vacation as a teacher in AZ and I wouldn't have enough paid days if I had to use those six days to watch him and then 6 more for the trip rescheduling. Fortunately it looks as if everything is moving forward. We got an update from GKTW that they will be open on Thursday and so excited to see us.

The kids don't know that a limo is scheduled to come and pick us up, and I know they will be so excited! We only have 3 sleeps until we get to leave. We are praying for Florida as a family as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter