• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tans in a Bottle

MJS

DIS Veteran
Debating tanning booth versus tan in a bottle so my ghostly Minnesota complexion doesn't scare anyone at WDW. (I want the CMs to know that I am a guest, not a resident of the Haunted Mansion! ;)

So...has anyone tried any of the self-tanning products? If so, what were the results? Any products that you would recommend? Any that were bad? How did the tan fade? How long did it last? Thanks!:)

How about the tanning booth/bed? Any stories/recommendations?

Thanks!

I don't use tanning booths, they are just too dangerous, not to mention they make your skin look like leather when you're old. :eek:

I am a huge fan of sunless tanners, though. :sunny: I use Neutrogena Spray for Light to Medium skin. I like it because it goes on evenly, its very natural looking (not the orange look that some of the self tanners leave you with) and even if you do screw up, its not real noticeable. I recommend exfoliating your skin the night before. Remember to wash your hands thoroughly when you are finished, and allow the area where you put the self tanner at least 1/2 hour to dry.

I never allow it to fade. I use it all summer long, so every four or five days I exfoliate and repeat the process. If you only want to use it for your trip, and depending on how long you are there, I would recommend bringing a loofah sponge and a good exfoliater, in case you want to "freshen up" your tan.

I use an exfoliater by Elizabeth Arden, but only because I have sensitive skin. You could get a good exfoliater at a drug store for a lot less money, more than likely. I know Nature's Earth makes a whole line of exfoliaters, you can buy these products at the grocery or drug store.

I'll be going on a cruise next week, so I am hitting the tanning booth now, but on a very limited basis. I generally use them for two weeks prior to any tropical trip. I've already had one skin cancer surgery, and am probably looking at another, so my tropical trips are few and far between these days....our summer vacation will be to Alaska.

I would say if you will not be exposed to the sun for long periods on your trip, then there is no reason to use a tanning booth in preparation. If you are going to be spending alot of time at the pool or waterparks then some exposure prior to leaving may not be a bad idea. Use a tanning bed for about 1/2 the maximum time...just because you pay for 12 minutes does not mean that you should use them all!

Alot of tanning salons have a sunless spritzer booth where you can "tan" in 6 seconds! If you wish to look tan, you will need to go for about 3 sessions. That's my usual "tan" of choice these days.

I use a tanning booth on a limited basis to get a base tan. If I don't, I end up with severe sun poisoning on my arms and legs. For some reason, having a slight amount of color prevents sun poisoning for me. I have tried everything else to avoid getting this painful condition, but I still would get it on exposed skin even if I stayed in theshade.

I also use a sunless tanning product on my legs because they are so pale. I usually get Clinique's sunless tanner, and found that it works well and gives you a natural color. To exfoliate, I just shave my legs before applying. I also may use a scruffy puff to exfoliate other times. (I only have to shave my legs every few months.) Also, if you want to get it all off and start fresh, Nair will do a good job.

My advice when applying is to just keep rubbing and rubbing it in, like you were applying a body lotion. This should help you avoid streaking. There are some newer products available that contain a bronzer. This gives you some color immediately, plus it enables you to see it going on and fix any mistakes, rather than waiting for the color to develop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter