Tastings. What Did You Like/Dislike?

We've done mixology twice, and then the rum tasting, tequila and margarita tasting, and mojito and caipirinha tasting each once. For us, the rum and tequila tastings were one and done. We enjoyed them, but suspect there isn't a ton of variability for those. Mixology will be an every cruise occurrence for us. We also really enjoyed the mojito tasting (on Castaway Cay for us) enough to do it again.

Can anyone else weigh in on exactly what brands were sampled in your tequila tasing? Disappointing if it’s only Cuervo and Patron.

Can anyone else weigh in on exactly what brands were sampled in your tequila tasing? Disappointing if it’s only Cuervo and Patron.
I know that the last one we did was all varieties of Patron. There may have been an 1800 in the other one, but that was earlier. I’m pretty sure it’s all Patron now. The tasting is a lot of fun though.

Thanks for this thread - really interesting!

We booked our upcoming cruise (August 5th) a week or so ago so everything was booked up, but I've managed to snag, from cancellations presumably, both Champagne Tasting and Mixology. Unfortunately they are back to back 3:30-4:30 and 4:30-5:30, and also on Castaway Cay day.

I'm feeling inclined to cancel the champagne tasting so we don't have to rush back from Castaway Cay and also back to back tastings doesn't feel ideal!

Thanks for this thread - really interesting!

We booked our upcoming cruise (August 5th) a week or so ago so everything was booked up, but I've managed to snag, from cancellations presumably, both Champagne Tasting and Mixology. Unfortunately they are back to back 3:30-4:30 and 4:30-5:30, and also on Castaway Cay day.

I'm feeling inclined to cancel the champagne tasting so we don't have to rush back from Castaway Cay and also back to back tastings doesn't feel ideal!
Usually, people say the tastings held on CC day are usually done on the island and not back on board. That sounds like a blast!

Hmm, I was going to do the Champagne but almost no-one seems to recommend it so now I am thinking Martini or Amari.

I honestly can't remember if I have tipped or not. The quantities have always been plentiful for me, maybe too plentiful:drinking1I may not have, if I wasn't carrying cash:(

I did Mixology on the last cruise and had no cash so I asked the bartender if I could room charge a tip. He said sure and just gave me a blank receipt for $0 that I could add tip to and sign.

I loved the Wine Tasting on the Wonder in February. The sommelier from Palo did it.

Of course that could be because it was only me (he did say if I did not want to do it alone I did not have to and would not be charged). The pours were slightly bigger than they would have been, and he let me pick my favorite and gave me a glass to go.

This was not one available for pre-booking, so I think a lot of people don’t know there are others you can sign up for on board.

Usually, people say the tastings held on CC day are usually done on the island and not back on board. That sounds like a blast!

It is a blast! I can't recommend it enough. We did the mojito one on CC and it was awesome.
The mojitos weren't as good...because ppl get to make them, and some fellow cruisers have certain quirks when making drinks (too much alcohol, too little or none, too much mint leaves, too much ice, etc)
But the best part is the view... you get to sip on a mojito from a bar (can't remember its name) overlooking the amazing ocean.

I've read that but with an Onboard time of 4:45, the 4:30-5:30 Mixology can't be on the island and the 3:30-4:30 Champagne Tasting wouldn't leave much time to spare if that wasn't on the ship.

At this point we've done nearly all of the tastings (some of them multiple times) and the only one I didn't like and won't do again was the Martini tasting. Mostly because I hate gin; it was my husband's idea to do the Martini tasting so he got most of mine as well as his own and was quite 'happy' for the rest of the afternoon.

I personally LOVED the champagne tasting.

I've read that but with an Onboard time of 4:45, the 4:30-5:30 Mixology can't be on the island and the 3:30-4:30 Champagne Tasting wouldn't leave much time to spare if that wasn't on the ship.

I would pick one and cancel the other. I bet there will be other times/days/tastings available once you get on board. I don't know how many they had in advance. They had just started doing the online booking on our last cruise. Once we got on board, there were easily like 5 or more, probably more, on sea days. There were usually a couple on port days and again a decent number on CC day. I think we booked one or two ahead of time and then booked another one, maybe two, once we boarded.

I know that the last one we did was all varieties of Patron. There may have been an 1800 in the other one, but that was earlier. I’m pretty sure it’s all Patron now. The tasting is a lot of fun though.
We did a tequila tasting on the Dream in March. We tasted two different types of Casamigos. There may have also been a Patron. We also mixed two margaritas. Lots of fun!! It was a full house and they ran out of the small tasting glasses so I benefited by getting full glasses of the margaritas 😁

I believe its the Heads Up bar

Yes that's it! I love that bar.. I'd spend hours there if I ever travel solo or w/o a kid.. but I'm committed to dad duties nowadays so I only get to go there for a few minutes...still, those are a few happy minutes I get to enjoy in life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter