Tea at Grand Floridian

PuppyPrincess

Too far from the Golden Dome and the Castle!
I am planning on doing the tea at the Grand Floridian on my next trip with my DSIL. Our DH's are not going. How much time should I figure for the tea before planning our next FP at EPCOT to meet DH to continue our trip? I can estimate the travel time from the GF to EPCOT, but have not done the tea before.
TIA.

60-90 minutes for tea. It is a lovely, relaxing experience. Tiaras optional

Thanks so much for all the help. I will forward the thread to the other going so they can get excited too! Can't wait to have tea. My DSIL's favorite resort is the Grand Floridian, so she is over the moon we are doing this.

I agree with the 60-90 minute recommendation. We LOVE the afternoon tea at the GF -- it's a must-do for us every trip, and for us, it's enough food that it ends up serving as a late lunch. I think you will love it! :)

Does anyone know if the sandwiches can be changed or substituted? I can't tolerate cheese or egg so that limits my choices :(

Does anyone know if the sandwiches can be changed or substituted? I can't tolerate cheese or egg so that limits my choices :(
Yes...we are vegetarians and my D is a picky eater to boot, so we always ask for all veg for H and I, and my D usually picks just one variety. You could also list the cheese and egg as an allergy on your reservation and they will gladly accommodate you.

Yes...we are vegetarians and my D is a picky eater to boot, so we always ask for all veg for H and I, and my D usually picks just one variety. You could also list the cheese and egg as an allergy on your reservation and they will gladly accommodate you.
That's great news! Thanks so much :)

That's great news! Thanks so much :)

Sorry...should have said "dairy/milk and egg", not cheese and egg...don't know where my brain was on that one! But if it's just cheese and not all dairy, you might not want to do that because then you couldn't get the Devonshire cream and all those other yummy things that have milk in them (unless you don't want them). Same goes for egg... not sure if you meant that you got sick from eating plain eggs, or whether you have an allergy to them in any form. My D has food allergies, and some people can tolerate milk in small amounts if it's in baked goods, for example, but cannot eat ice cream or drink milk/have it in cereal, as is the case with her. So, I would just use your best judgment with your own tolerances and either put it on the reservation in advance or just request adjustments in person accordingly...I'm quite sure they'll accommodate you either way. :)

Hi, no I'm not allergic to dairy, I have IBS and egg and cheese are my triggers. I can tolerate baked goods that contain egg, but can't eat them as is, strange as that may seem. My DD is also a very picky eater so I'm hoping they let her have the ham or peanut butter sandwiches from the kids option. Thanks again for your help

Hi, no I'm not allergic to dairy, I have IBS and egg and cheese are my triggers. I can tolerate baked goods that contain egg, but can't eat them as is, strange as that may seem. My DD is also a very picky eater so I'm hoping they let her have the ham or peanut butter sandwiches from the kids option. Thanks again for your help
Doesn't seem strange at all! My D is the same with milk products, and her allergist actually told me that recent research has verified that it's a common phenomenon.

The CMs are all so lovely at the afternoon tea -- I'm certain they'll be willing to do whatever they need to to help you and your D have a great experience. :)

This thread has a nice review of the Grand Flo tea:

Here is our review:
Our Ratings of Afternoon Tea at Grand Floridian: (*rev 02/05/2018*)
. . . food price value: D
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: C
. . . food selection: D
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: A
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: C
. . . character interaction: n/a
Our Recommendations:
. . . appys:... n/a
. . . entree:.. Derbyshire Tea
. . . dessert:. n/a
NOTE1: The "Tea" is in a gracious atmosphere overlooking the pool and gardens of the Grand Floridian. A relaxing way to put a civilized break into your hectic park day. A negative for the true tea aficionado, is they serve only Pekoe (OP)grade for non-green tea. Reservations are almost a must. Casual "park attire" is fine, or you can "dress up". You order packages. Anyone can order any package; except being no alcohol for the underage drinkers. Plan upon 1½-2 hours if you do it right and enjoy a relaxing respite. It may sound "stuffy" or "uppity", but not really. It's just people in a quite and sedate atmosphere. Hours: 2:00pm-5:00pm, except December when hours are 1:00pm-5:00pm. Now, you guys don't get discouraged or feel out of place (well, at least not TOO much). There are other gents that get-roped-into-going (I mean join their spouses). Actually, it is a pleasant experience for us dudes. After all, look at all the Englishmen that do it. OK so not the best example, but you WILL enjoy it.

NOTE2: This is not up to the par of either High Tea or the Afternoon Tea, but it is a good way to spend an afternoon. As an FYI, High Tea and Afternoon Tea are different. "High Tea" is a later-afternoon event with more food, including meats. Also note that the "clotted cream" isn't, and they charge for additional pots of tea. Yeah, I know, it is pretty cheesy of them. I actually prefer the Tea at Waldorf Astoria on property and it's less expensive than the WDW Tea, even for the better selections. Take a cab to The Waldorf on property; better pricing, better teas, better service.
NOTE3: No longer can you order only ala carte. EVERYONE MUST order a package. With package, you may add ala carte items for an extra charge. It seems lots of folks came and did not spend a lot of money. They would just do ala carte. In fact, some simply ordered tea and nothing to eat, or just a few pastries. Disney is in the biz of big revenue, hence the change. Dollars-per-chair-per-hour. The Afternoon Tea is not on the Disney Dining Plan. No sharing of plates to reduce the price per-person.
Sample ala carte items (subject to change):
. . . British Cheese Plate
. . . Gentlemen's Tea Platter (berries, cheese)
. . . Assorted Tea Sandwich Plate (five sandwiches)
. . . English Blue Stilton Cheese
. . . Strawberries & Cream
. . . English Triffle
. . . Scones with Devonshire Cream
. . . Jam Tarts
NOTE4: Disney changed the menu and prices, again - and keep raising them, as is not covered under DDP, so prices can "float" with no notice. The prices are now OUTRAGEOUS; maybe the famous PT Barnum was put in charge of the menu pricing. The prices are ridiculously high. I have taken The WDW Tea off my recommended list. We do not expect to return to it soon. I have taken The WDW Tea off my recommended list for guests who come to my desk.

My mom and I did this tea and it was lovely. I lived in England for a year and went to many teas. This one ranks up there as one of my favorites, behind Kensington Palace and a small tea room in Ely, England.
The curry chicken sandwich is awesome and I wish I would have asked for another one of those over the yellow beet one. The meal was way more filling than we thought it would be. Our tea was at 3:15, and we were done about 4:30. We were so full we took some of the desserts to go, which they allowed us to do. For dinner that night, mom and I just had small salads because we were still pretty full.

I lived in England for a year and went to many teas. This one ranks up there as one of my favorites, behind Kensington Palace and a small tea room in Ely, England.

1) Before retirement, I went to UK at least once per quarter.
2) We did quite a few teas in London, even some well known ones such as Claridge's and Savoy.
3) Although the GF-Tea does a good job, it does not compare that well with other high-end Teas, even locally.
4) I would not cross the GF-Tea off anyone's list, but the Waldorf is superior, and nearby.

NOTE:
For the price of the GF-Tea, I would expect more than just Orange Pekoe tea.
AND, would expect to be able to order ala carte, instead of being forced into a mandatory package.

1) Before retirement, I went to UK at least once per quarter.
2) We did quite a few teas in London, even some well known ones such as Claridge's and Savoy.
3) Although the GF-Tea does a good job, it does not compare that well with other high-end Teas, even locally.
4) I would not cross the GF-Tea off anyone's list, but the Waldorf is superior, and nearby.

NOTE:
For the price of the GF-Tea, I would expect more than just Orange Pekoe tea.
AND, would expect to be able to order ala carte, instead of being forced into a mandatory package.

Ordering ala carte would be nice, or being able to pick...like I would have liked another scone over a jam tart. Although the tart was okay, the scone was great, especially with jam and clotted cream.

I've done this tea maybe a dozen times over the past several years, but I am done with it now. It used to be my go to break during a day at MK. I think the tea selection has declined since they went to Twinings. Plus the packages just have too much food for me. The last few times I just left feeling stuffed and miserable even when I didn't finish what was served.

And now reservations are a must. I used to just drop in when I felt like it. Now I'd have to plan ahead and maybe not even be that interested when the time arose. So now it's a BTDT for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter