Teacher handcuffed leaving school board meeting

You stated upthread that teachers made an average of $19/hr.
No. Actually I didn't. I said $40,000/year (which is what the entry level teacher makes according to the chart linked) = $19/hour when you divide by 2080 (which is 52 weeks at 40 hours/week). Take anyone's annual salary, divide by 2080, and you get an hourly rate (based on a 40 hour work week for 52 weeks of the year). At the same time, you can take an hourly rate, multiply by 2080, and find the annual salary (OT & Bonuses not included). Granted, teachers work more than 40 hours in a week. Never denied that. Are they getting to 2080?

Let's say they have 8 weeks off during the summer. So they're working 44 weeks. If they work 50 hours each week, that's 2200. But they're not going to work 50 weeks during spring break, or Christmas break. If you subtract 150 hours, you're down to 2050. So you're right there. So you can say teachers are working the same amount of hours as "normal" employees.

Let me ask this... how much should teachers make?

Agreed. It seems like people don't like when people speak up about injustice. If everyone kept their mouth shut some people would still be forced to sit at the back of the bus.
"Injustice"? Maybe "not fair". Is it fair a manager gets a larger raise (percentage wise) than rank and file employees? Absolutely not. Is it an "injustice"? I don't think so.

I'll readily agree teachers are between a rock and a hard place. My issue is teachers (speaking generally) come on here and complain about the pay or the work hours or the working conditions and it sounds like no one else has the same problems.

The other option is to become an administrator and then you can take all the available funds for yourself and screw the teachers over.

Okay, I know you just like to stir the pot, and of course, your "suggestion" is quite ignorant in many ways. I do want to correct one of your assumptions, though. In many places around the country, administrators have no say over teacher salaries. The school board sets that, in negotiation with the union if there is one. Or are you talking so far out of your realm of knowledge that you don't even know that there is a difference between administration and a school board? (Again, the organization varies from state to state, but if you're going to throw out asinine across-the-board suggestions, at least get your facts right.)

I frequent message boards dedicated to the profession I am in. So 100% (ok, 99%) actually work, or used to work in the profession. There STILL isn't the same level of griping about pay.

Some are making just over $20K. And again, that's for 12 months of work.

I don't really believe you about any of it. $24K per year is $10/hour. My friend worked a nasty factory floor and made more than that and she still lived in low income housing, qualified for free lunch, food stamps, etc.....and she hadn't even finished high school. I don't believe FOR ONE MINUTE that you have 4 year degreed folks who get $10/hour and don't complain at all and think it is fulfilling.

Nope, not buying it.

It gets very old hearing teachers complain about pay and working conditions. You know what the pay is all about by the time you are sitting in that first class at the University.

Get rid of the "teaching experts" sometimes called parents and I bet a lot of teachers wouldn't be complaining.

I don't really believe you about any of it. $24K per year is $10/hour. My friend worked a nasty factory floor and made more than that and she still lived in low income housing, qualified for free lunch, food stamps, etc.....and she hadn't even finished high school. I don't believe FOR ONE MINUTE that you have 4 year degreed folks who get $10/hour and don't complain at all and think it is fulfilling.

Nope, not buying it.
1) Basic math. 52 weeks/year. 40 hours/week = 2080 "work hours". $10/hour * 2080 = $20,800. $24K/year = $11.53/hour.
2) I never said they don't complain at all. I said they don't complain as much as teachers. Big difference.
3) If you don't want to believe me, don't. But yes, I have people with 4 year degrees who make less than $25K/year. ETA: There's not many, and most are relatively new, but it's not like after 5 years of service they're making $40K.

People get into this field because they like it (sounds like teachers, doesn't it?).

"Injustice"? Maybe "not fair". Is it fair a manager gets a larger raise (percentage wise) than rank and file employees? Absolutely not. Is it an "injustice"? I don't think so.

I'll readily agree teachers are between a rock and a hard place. My issue is teachers (speaking generally) come on here and complain about the pay or the work hours or the working conditions and it sounds like no one else has the same problems.

You don't consider a single public servant, receiving a substantial raise when 100's of other public servants haven't received a single, even small one in 10 years an injustice, which BTW means "an unfair act"?
While I don't think I would have stayed on the job that long if I was one of those teachers, the fact that it even happens that way is pretty appalling.

1) Basic math. 52 weeks/year. 40 hours/week = 2080 "work hours". $10/hour * 2080 = $20,800. $24K/year = $11.53/hour.
2) I never said they don't complain at all. I said they don't complain as much as teachers. Big difference.
3) If you don't want to believe me, don't. But yes, I have people with 4 year degrees who make less than $25K/year. ETA: There's not many, and most are relatively new, but it's not like after 5 years of service they're making $40K.

People get into this field because they like it (sounds like teachers, doesn't it?).

Oh good grief, it was ROUNDED, not exact numbers. In fact, you said $20K which I am sure is ROUNDED as well.

Yeah, still don't believe you, esp the part about there is a forum for those in your field (which you never will say what it is) and the part about how they don't complain as much. BS, again.

But we are just going around and around at this point.

Let's say they have 8 weeks off during the summer. So they're working 44 weeks. If they work 50 hours each week, that's 2200. But they're not going to work 50 weeks during spring break, or Christmas break. If you subtract 150 hours, you're down to 2050. So you're right there. So you can say teachers are working the same amount of hours as "normal" employees.

Let me ask this... how much should teachers make?

My husband gets 2 weeks of holiday time and 5 weeks (it might even be 6 now, I need to ask) of VACATION TIME.....so he has what you call a "normal" job and gets 7-8 weeks PAID time off per year.

How much time off do you give your happy 4 year degree workers who make just over $20K?

My husband gets 2 weeks of holiday time and 5 weeks (it might even be 6 now, I need to ask) of VACATION TIME.....so he has what you call a "normal" job and gets 7-8 weeks PAID time off per year.

How much time off do you give your happy 4 year degree workers who make just over $20K?
I hope you know that's not typical.

Parents anymore seem to have/want too much input into the home work, curriculum and projects and generally what goes on in the classroom.

Yeah, still don't believe you, esp the part about there is a forum for those in your field (which you never will say what it is) and the part about how they don't complain as much. BS, again.
No one's asked what my field was. But no, I won't answer because it's a field that regularly (on the Dis and IRL) is insulted and looked down upon. I don't feel like dealing with that. And most of what's talked about in the various forums I visit is stories from various places and how to solve issues at various places.

It's a graduated scale. Someone who has worked 0-2 years gets 16 days (+ 8 holidays). Those who have worked 10+ (I think that's the final break, it may be at 15) years get 26 days (+ the 8 holidays). That's the max (which I get).

Oh, and those days include sick time.

FWIW, a number of years ago, I started keep track of how much I made per hour. It looks like it took me until my 16th year before I got to $40K/year. And that was WITH annual raises.

No one's asked what my field was. But no, I won't answer because it's a field that regularly (on the Dis and IRL) is insulted and looked down upon. I don't feel like dealing with that. And most of what's talked about in the various forums I visit is stories from various places and how to solve issues at various places.

It's a graduated scale. Someone who has worked 0-2 years gets 16 days (+ 8 holidays). Those who have worked 10+ (I think that's the final break, it may be at 15) years get 26 days (+ the 8 holidays). That's the max (which I get).

Oh, and those days include sick time.

But you feel justified in trashing teachers.

It isn't worth discussing with you. You have lost all credibility. I know you need the last word and will comment again......

But you feel justified in trashing teachers.

It isn't worth discussing with you. You have lost all credibility. I know you need the last word and will comment again......
Please show me ONCE where I trashed teachers. I said repeatedly in this thread that they work hard and they should get more money. The only thing negative I've said is their complaining about wages and working conditions get old because plenty of other careers have poor pay and working conditions, and yes, some of those employees do have 4 year degrees.

On the other hand, you have called me a liar and misquoted me. But OK, I've lost credibility with you. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter