Teachers wearing religious garb

Princess_Ariel_5

Mouseketeer
This topic came up with some coworkers and I was wondering what you all thought. Should teachers be able to wear items that represent their religion? For example, if a Christian teacher chooses to simply wear a cross necklace, but does not preach or talk about his/her beliefs, do you think that is appropriate?

I have no problem with anything like that pe se, but it's tough not to say something if a student asks. There are a few states that don't allow any kind of religious displays by public school teachers, and that includes crosses, turbans, hijabs, yarmulkes, etc. Oregon's law was even tested in court decades ago and found to be Constitutional.

Banning this leads to the sticky problem of deciding if something is just an accessory or required by their religion (a head covering, for example). I say it's fine.

Absolutely. I can't even imagine this being an issue as you've described the scenario.

Technically illegal in a couple of states. On top of that, a school district having its own rules similar to such laws would probably stand Constitutional muster. Oregon's law was repealed. Such law is still on the books in a couple of states. For the most part it never gets enforced anyways.

I think yes, absolutely.

With one caveat... as someone with a minor learning disability that impacts my ability to comprehend in a lecture-type situation, I would prefer that that my teacher's religious garb didn't cover their mouth. Which isn't to say I haven't interacted perfectly happily with people in full-face covering in a non-academic setting, just that it takes extra effort. And that would impact my learning.

On the other hand, I wouldn't pitch a fit about it. And I'm not sure banning is the way to go. A teacher with good articulation in full-face covering is still preferable to a teacher with a thick accent who mumbles and stares at the floor. (Or the one I had who was from Korea and had learned English - passably - in Australia. And he had a speech impediment on top of all that! I slept through his classes and studied from the textbook.)

Otherwise, crosses, hijabs, pasta strainers, whatever. I think teachers should be allowed to wear what they like, as long as it meets minimum decency standards.

Technically illegal in a couple of states. On top of that, a school district having its own rules similar to such laws would probably stand Constitutional muster. Oregon's law was repealed. Such law is still on the books in a couple of states. For the most part it never gets enforced anyways.

I think the Constitutionality will really depend on exactly how a law or policy is worded. So, for example, banning all jewelry (which would include a cross necklace) would probably be fine. But I would love to see some info about a law that said it's OK to explicitly ban religious articles when similar secular articles are allowed.

I can't see why anyone would think it was inappropriate. I think people misunderstand separation of church and state. An individual teacher wearing a cross necklace does not mean what those opposed to it thinks it means.

I think it has to do with the lengths to which some school districts will go to avoid lawsuits. All it takes is for one parent to complain and the legal bills start piling up.

Last edited:
I think the Constitutionality will really depend on exactly how a law or policy is worded. So, for example, banning all jewelry (which would include a cross necklace) would probably be fine. But I would love to see some info about a law that said it's OK to explicitly ban religious articles when similar secular articles are allowed.

I think the modern interpretation is of the "slippery slope" argument about how extreme it might get. For the most part school districts might decide on an individual basis about what crosses the line into advocacy rather than simply passive displays. Most of these laws were actually anti-Catholic. I've heard that nuns used to teach in public schools, and that many of these laws were enacted as an anti-Catholic measure.

There certainly have been complaints, but there's a distinct lack of prosecutors willing to prosecute.

Here's Pennsylvania's law:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...&smthLwInd=0&act=14&chpt=11&sctn=12&subsctn=0

Section 1112. Religious Garb, Insignia, etc., Prohibited; Penalty.--(a) That no teacher in any public school shall wear in said school or while engaged in the performance of his duty as such teacher any dress, mark, emblem or insignia indicating the fact that such teacher is a member or adherent of any religious order, sect or denomination.

(b) Any teacher employed in any of the public schools of this Commonwealth, who violates the provisions of this section, shall be suspended from employment in such school for the term of one year, and in case of a second offense by the same teacher he shall be permanently disqualified from teaching in said school. Any public school director who after notice of any such violation fails to comply with the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction of the first offense, shall be sentenced to pay a fine not exceeding one hundred dollars ($100), and on conviction of a second offense, the offending school director shall be sentenced to pay a fine not exceeding one hundred dollars ($100) and shall be deprived of his office as a public school director. A person thus twice convicted shall not be eligible to appointment or election as a director of any public school in this Commonwealth within a period of five (5) years from the date of his second conviction.​

Apparently Nebraska recently repealed its law.

http://journalstar.com/legislature/...cle_81e1879c-e55e-55ef-85a4-ea97c639b7bb.html

The Legislature on Thursday repealed Nebraska's longtime ban on public school teachers wearing any religious garb in the classroom, ending the bill's long journey through legislative roadblocks erected by Sen. Ernie Chambers of Omaha.

Chambers made a final effort to waylay the bill (LB62), but his motion to return the proposal from its final reading stage to an earlier round of floor consideration was rejected before the measure was enacted on a 39-5 vote.​

This is the law that got repealed:

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=79-898
http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=79-899

79-898.
Public schools; religious garments; wearing by teachers prohibited; penalty.
Any teacher in any public school in this state who wears, in such school or while engaged in the performance of his or her duty, any dress or garb indicating the fact that such teacher is a member or an adherent of any religious order, sect, or denomination, shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof be fined in any sum not exceeding one hundred dollars and the costs of prosecution or shall be committed to the county jail for a period not exceeding thirty days or both.

79-899.
Public schools; religious garb prohibited; enforcement; violation; penalty.
In case of violation of section 79-898 by any teacher employed in any public school, notice of which having been previously given to the school board or board of education employing such teacher, the board shall suspend such teacher from employment in such school for the term of one year. In case of the second offense by such teacher the board shall disqualify permanently such teacher from teaching in such school. Any member of a board who fails to comply with the provisions of this section is guilty of a Class V misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be punished by a fine not exceeding one hundred dollars and costs of prosecution.​

I am atheist and I don't care what kind of religious things you want to wear- as a teacher or otherwise. Just don't preach it to me or my kid or try to "help us find the way."

This is me exactly. 100% atheist, through and through. All good with me if you want to believe, go for it. Just don't try to engage my kids in conversation about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter