Teachers wearing religious garb

:confused3 Meh - this question, as worded, should be a non-issue in real life. I wear a cross pendant (not a crucifix) every single day. I'm not a teacher, but I have never once in 40 years been asked anything by anybody about it. It doesn't rouse curiosity or prove to be a springboard for evangelism - nor is it intended to. I get that it's a pretty mundane symbol in our culture, but I also expect that in 2017 even less mainstream items like hijab, turbans and/or kippah are not so unfamiliar that they evoke a lot of attention, even amongst children. And I'd imagine that most young children, if confronted with what they might consider an oddity, would probably bring it up to their parents who could then frame it however suited them.

I agree 100% that teachers should be allowed to wear the symbols of their faith, whether that's a turban, or a kippah, or a cross necklace.

I am laughing at the idea that children don't ask questions about things that are mundane, or that they'll wait and bring it up at home. Older children? Sure, but having taught Kindergarten, I can guarantee it's a constant barrage of questions. "Why is the gerbil sleeping?" "Why does my pencil get shorter when I sharpen it?" "Why do you wear a blue shirt, my mommy wears a pink shirt, you should wear pink too?"

I think it's fine for a teacher to say "I wear this turban because of my religion. I am a Sikh and Sikh men wear turbans. Now open your book so we can start reading".

I went to Catholic schools for 12 years, worked in public schools for 36 years and the only time anything religious bothered me was the assistant principal who put "Have a blessed day!" in her email signature.

Our school district bordering Washington, DC was extremely conscious of all state and federal regulations concerning religion in schools. To me, it seemed very out of place for her to use this phrase in all her email communications to school staff and parents in our large high school. On the other hand it was probably less offensive than my niece's public high school in central Kansas that made an all-school announcement inviting everyone who wanted to pick up a free Bible to come down to the Main Office between classes!

Last edited:
Of course as long as it is showing Jesus as Lord, Christ and Savior :laughing:, (this is a joke making fun of all our different prejudices )

I went to Catholic schools for 12 years, worked in public schools for 36 years and the only time anything religious bothered me was the assistant principal who put "Have a blessed day!" in her email signature.

Our school district bordering Washington, DC was extremely conscious of all state and federal regulations concerning religion in schools. To me, it seemed very out of place for her to use this phrase in all her email communications to school staff in our large high school. On the other hand it was probably less offensive than my niece's public high school in central Kansas that made an all-school announcement inviting everyone who wanted to pick up a free Bible to come down to the Main Office between classes!

I find this interesting, because in my experience in the same region, the expression "Have a blessed day!" is much more associated with one race than one religion. Teaching in majority black schools, this is something I heard over and over again. It was like "bless you" when someone sneezes, or hearing someone refer to a date as "B.C." or "A.D.". It might have had religious meaning at one point, and people with strong religious feelings might avoid it, but most people who say it aren't associating it with religion.

I find this interesting, because in my experience in the same region, the expression "Have a blessed day!" is much more associated with one race than one religion. Teaching in majority black schools, this is something I heard over and over again. It was like "bless you" when someone sneezes, or hearing someone refer to a date as "B.C." or "A.D.". It might have had religious meaning at one point, and people with strong religious feelings might avoid it, but most people who say it aren't associating it with religion.

Interesting point! I hadn't thought of it that way.

In this case, the assistant principal was also known for often publicizing her church's activities, various sales and so on when virtually no one else on the faculty did so. It seemed the rest of us carefully avoided any non-instructional religious references due to the strict policies in our 140,000 student school system. I guess it got to me more than I realized.

Interesting point! I hadn't thought of it that way.

In this case, the assistant principal was also known for often publicizing her church's activities, various sales and so on when virtually no one else on the faculty did so. It seemed the rest of us carefully avoided any non-instructional religious references due to the strict policies in our 140,000 student school system. I guess it got to me more than I realized.

The rest of it sounds super annoying.

lol I usually associate "have a blessed day" as F off

To me, that depends on context.

It's like a lot of forms of "goodbye". It's like "Well, thanks for stopping by." If you say it while someone's walking away from your house it means "Thanks for stopping by." If you say it to someone who just arrived it means "Go the F home." I definitely hear "you have a blessed day" used to mean "F off" or just "Yeah, not going to get into that with you", but when I see it in an email signature it just means "good bye/good luck".

I have no problem with it all. If one religion can wear a Habibs or cover their heads. Then crosses or faith-based t-shirts should be allowed. You either have to allow all of it or none of it.

No one around me says this phrase, but its weird that it'd be used by a particular race. I work with people in high finance and in a very specific social circle/neighborhood, so I'm fascinated by this. I literally don't think anyone has ever said this phrase to me in my life. Funny how life experiences can differ all within the same country!

ETA: weird probably isn't the right word. Its just neat to hear what other parts of the world do/say/etc.

That's an interesting reaction to me, because a "blessing" isn't a concept that is limited to religion. can said to be a "blessing" to others by the acts they do for them. One someone commits an act of kindness to me, I feel "blessed." To me wishing someone a "blessed day" is an expression that you hope good things happen to that person that day. It's not much different than saying "I hope you have a good day!"

I will also add that my wife, a math teacher, hands out free pens to students that need them. They have the message "Count your blessings!" on them.

I have no problem with it all. If one religion can wear a Habibs or cover their heads. Then crosses or faith-based t-shirts should be allowed. You either have to allow all of it or none of it.

I agree, but the pedant in me needs to point out that "Habib" is an Arabic name. What you're probably referring to is the "hijab" or head scarf.

I went to school with a girl named Habiba. Habib is the male varient of that. (Like Shawn/Shawna.)

This was my first year of teaching and the High School I taught at has a Muslim English teacher who wears her hijab each day. It doesn't interfere or do anything at all to affect her teaching skills. I think it is perfectly fine for teachers to wear these religious garments. Now I don't think they should be sharing with the students about them unless asked as the same would go for me as I wear my cross necklace everyday. I am also a Vocal(Choir) Music Teacher who each year has a Winter and Spring Concert. Each Winter Concert I am expected to include Christmas songs as well as Chanukah and other Religious Songs in the program. My school is a Public School full of many faiths and I see no problem with this at all.

It actually does bother me a bit. I'm an atheist and have several friends who are Pagan, Wiccan, or Satanic. They have all been told they aren't allowed to wear or display symbols of their faiths. In my experience, people are okay with the "acceptable" religions, but not with some of the fringe ones. I personally got tired of the cross that was prominently displayed in my shared office. A co worker was written up for having a Pagan symbol in his work area. It doesn't bother me enough that I would complain about it, but I would prefer that religious displays of any type be left out of public education.

I'm with you. I don't object in theory, assuming all religions are equally protected, but in practice that's not how I've seen it play out. Students are told they cannot wear or carry objects decorated with certain Wiccan or Pagan symbols because those are "disruptive", as was a student protest in which some girls wore hijabs to school as a sign of solidarity. But crosses and t-shirts with explicitly Christian messages are okay. I don't know any non-Christian staff to know if the enforcement is as uneven among the adults but when that's the tone the administration sets it seems like it would be better just to leave all the religious garb at home.

I'm with you. I don't object in theory, assuming all religions are equally protected, but in practice that's not how I've seen it play out. Students are told they cannot wear or carry objects decorated with certain Wiccan or Pagan symbols because those are "disruptive", as was a student protest in which some girls wore hijabs to school as a sign of solidarity. But crosses and t-shirts with explicitly Christian messages are okay. I don't know any non-Christian staff to know if the enforcement is as uneven among the adults but when that's the tone the administration sets it seems like it would be better just to leave all the religious garb at home.

That's the basic problem. Once I heard an interview with someone who was supportive of an organized group prayer before a public schools' football games. When asked if she thought perhaps a Muslim prayer might be OK she said "I don't think that would be right".

That's the basic problem. Once I heard an interview with someone who was supportive of an organized group prayer before a public schools' football games. When asked if she thought perhaps a Muslim prayer might be OK she said "I don't think that would be right".
That's why I am for a moment of silence. Pray, don't pray, it is up to you.

I've worked with 2 Orthodox Jewish teachers, and one Orthodox Jewish therapist, one in a public school, and two in a secular private school for children with disabilities. Why would you think that Orthodox Jews wouldn't apply for a job in a public school setting?

I mean truly Orthodox men usually can't work specific times, pray several times a day, wear their beards long, I'm not talking the Orthodox that has been more popular recently that Jared Kushner is which is really more conservatice even though it is is modern Orthodox. When I think Orthodox Jewish I think of Hassidism and other groups. Of course that's on me but when I hear Orthodox I think of traditional Orthodox. Those are the types where a traditionally Orthodox man can't touch or talk to too long someone of the opposite sex especially if they were are not also Jewish. They wouldn't be able to be near their female students during their periods etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter