Team 'Ohana--No One Left Behind: The Continuing Adventures

Ugh Richard Simmons! I think I was stuck with him at w&d for a mile or so. Was he carrying a boom box and playing oldies music? I seriously wanted to find a building and jump off of it.;) I was planning on running with Mike and Tom (which lasted for about two miles) so I didn't have music with me. Luckily I got ahead of him because I was in such a bad mood I might have told him where to stick that boom box.:rotfl2:

Did I ever tell you all about the guy who was bouncing the basketball during the Kentucky Derby half/full last year? Obviously I have some noise issues during my races. It was AWFUL! Luckily he did the full so we lost him around mile 8 because I was ready to grab his basketball and throw it as far as I could. It did occupy my brain for a mile or so--how to torture the guy with the basketball.

I see a pattern of violent thoughts during my races.:rotfl:

Question for the cousins: Your favorite or recommended exercises for shin, calf, foot pain for a beginning runner? A friend is taking the plunge, and is having problems with pain even when walking. I've talked shoes, "too much too soon" and general advice. Any additional suggestions would be appreciated!

Rose: Speaking of violent thoughts during races.... I'd like to say that I'm motivated by good, pure thoughts on the course, that I'm inspired by the efforts of those around me. But, well, the truth is a little different.

Over WDW Marathon Weekend I talked about "haterunning," the race equivalent of "hatewatching" or "hatereading." I usually look for those people on the course who have annoyed me - usually for violating some kind of etiquette (real or just one of my idiosyncrasies). I focus on them - they're the people I don't want to finish in front of me. I try to move from one haterun target to the next.

Anyway, I was both happy and sad that there weren't enough people next to me so that I could consistently haterun. Better etiquette on the course, yes, and I'm happy for that. But my pace might have liked a few more Richard Simmons. :rotfl2:

We're back in the real world now. Apparently a lot of WISHers got sick when then returned home. I started a bit early - had a persistent cough on Friday and it was fully developed into a case of whatever-this-is by the time we flew home on Sunday. I felt sorry for the stranger in the seat next to me and hope I didn't give him anything.

I've been doing nothing much but sleeping since then...aside from a few bouts of ill-conceived work, some snow shoveling, and making that daily mile. I have to be honest, on Sunday that mile involved one 20-minute mile. That's what I could muster. I'm not at full strength yet, with more walking than running. But I'm been out every day and I couldn't haterun even if I could find one of those college track & field whippersnappers that frequent my route. :lmao:

I'm sure I'll be happy about having kept to the schedule after I've recovered fully. In a couple of days I'll have to turn my attention to the plank challenge I promised myself (and then abandoned while at Disney).

Question for the cousins: Your favorite or recommended exercises for shin, calf, foot pain for a beginning runner? A friend is taking the plunge, and is having problems with pain even when walking. I've talked shoes, "too much too soon" and general advice. Any additional suggestions would be appreciated!

I'd like to hear these, too. The cold (and yes, to me the 40s/50s we've had in Florida has been cold) is murder on my RA, and my "run" tonight (5 min walking, then 8 sets of 1 min jog/1 min walk, then 5 min walking) ended 5 min and 30 seconds in because the ball of my foot felt like it was going to fall off. So I went back to the house and finished my intervals on the exercise bike (just guessed at what "low intensity 12 min/mile" jog pace would be on a bike ... if anyone has conversions, I'd be happy with those, too :worship:). I know it's not the same thing as running, but I figure if I can at least keep up with the training plan Endomondo spit out for me, I should be able to get in a month or two of jogging before the EEC in May, and hopefully my endurance will not suffer because I'll be doing the exercise bike.

Hello cousins! Just bumping up our thread - and to do so, I'll just ask this question: Did any of us register for the Disneyland Half Marathon races? If so, which ones?

(I passed. The dates, as in years past, just don't work for me.)

I didn't sign up for any of them, but it sure sounds like they sold out in a hurry. I'm not too surprised the races are full. What gets me is they found so many people willing to pay $89 to go shopping at the expo early. I'm admittedly not much of a Disney shopper (I use expos to stock up on running shoes and compression shorts), so paying that kind of money to shop before everyone else astounds me.

AFM, I had a really bad race in Dubai last week. I had stomach issues at mile 15 and ended up running and walking all of the rest of the race. I missed my goal of 3:45 by 20 minutes, but at least I finished and can use it as my qualifying race for Comrades. With only four months to go, now the real training fun begins.

Hope you're all staying safe and warm from the latest cold snap.

Hello cousins! Just bumping up our thread - and to do so, I'll just ask this question: Did any of us register for the Disneyland Half Marathon races? If so, which ones?

I passed on that as well, hopefully I will do it one day. However, I am already registered for Dopey 2015 via race deferral from this year. As an added bonus, my youngest brother, who is a casual and occasional runner, has asked me to help him train for his first marathon and wants to do Disney 2015, so I will plan to do the whole race with him.

As part of my effort to come out of my training funk, I am looking to do more purely fun events. This past weekend I did a run called the Ready Set Glow Run. It was a nighttime 5K fill with music, dancing, black lights and included getting splattered with paint as we ran through the course. It was the most fun I've had at an event in a long time. It reminded me some of why I really do these sports.

The last year I've been mostly reading and following this thread with the DIS iPad app. Unfortunately it seems to have stopped notifying me when posts are made. I suppose I might have to go back to checking the old fashioned way on the computer before I get left behind.

First, good luck to all our cousins and WISHers about to enjoy the Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend! :banana: Bring us back stories! :joker:

Since I last signed in, I've kept up with my running every day challenge. Still indoors. I strapped on my Garmin today for a walk, just to test the ice conditions and I can run - if I'm willing to do the same two blocks. People here really aren't good about clearing the walks. (Still, I might do it for the days I only do a 1 -1.5 miles.) It rained today, so more ice will be forming tonight. Bah and humbug.

The frustrating part of running inside so much, beside TM boredom and losing some conditioning - is that my Garmin FR 220 now has some sort of satellite problem. The GPS is greenlit but the watch doesn't record distance or pace. It's a known issue, especially if you travel great distances between runs or you let the watch sit for a couple of weeks. I'll problem-solve tonight, and hope things don't come down to a hard reset or an exchange.

On a more positive note, DOOD and I have signed up (again) for the ToT 10 Miler this fall. That will be 3/3 years since runDisney re-opened the race for such an odd distance. He likes the event more than I do, I think, and is open to being a 5-year legacy. So be it...

Not sure what we're doing for more Disney races, if any. Although we'll do the Castaway Cay 5K in March. Not sure that counts. (And has anyone heard the rumor that runDisney is going to start for that race sometime in the not-too-distant future?)

Speaking of cruises, any book suggestions from the cousins? You know me and my love for sci-fi (especially dystopian) and mystery genres. I haven't had much luck choosing recently and I'd like some guaranteed wins for our trip. (It's a 7-night Western Caribbean on the Fantasy. And our first cruise ever. :cool1:)

I still haven't seen "Ender's Game." Gasp. After I finish all the Best Picture Oscar nominees, I think, since I'm forced to see it at home anyway.

P.S. I no longer get notifications on the thread either, though I attribute it to my own disorganization.

On a more positive note, DOOD and I have signed up (again) for the ToT 10 Miler this fall. That will be 3/3 years since runDisney re-opened the race for such an odd distance. He likes the event more than I do, I think, and is open to being a 5-year legacy. So be it...

Is the ToT worth doing? I might be at our house in FL in October and will consider entering the race if the cousins give it the seal of approval.

Speaking of cruises, any book suggestions from the cousins? You know me and my love for sci-fi (especially dystopian) and mystery genres. I haven't had much luck choosing recently and I'd like some guaranteed wins for our trip. (It's a 7-night Western Caribbean on the Fantasy. And our first cruise ever. :cool1:)

I read Stephen King's 11/22/63 last fall. A fantastic book. It's not one of his creepy monster books, so don't be scared. It's definitely worth reading. And you can't go wrong with the first three Game of Thrones books either, if you haven't read them yet.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I get the notifications. :)

Is the ToT worth doing? I might be at our house in FL in October and will consider entering the race if the cousins give it the seal of approval.

I read Stephen King's 11/22/63 last fall. A fantastic book. It's not one of his creepy monster books, so don't be scared. It's definitely worth reading. And you can't go wrong with the first three Game of Thrones books either, if you haven't read them yet.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I get the notifications. :)

Both years of ToT 10M have been both hot and humid, it just doesn't seem far enough from summer to not have summer-like weather. That being said, the after party is fun if you're able to stick around for it... the ride lines are pretty reasonable, especially as it gets later.

I read 11/22/63 as well and really liked it. I also recently read Stephen King's Joyland. Not really scary either, but I enjoyed it.

Maybe I am naive, but I am still kind of shocked that w&d sold out so quickly. I am just not a fan of all this drama surrounding rundisney now. But I guess it was bound to happen. I did have sticker shock when I registered three people. (DS is running again this year.) We have pretty much decided this is our one and only Disney race each year--that whole legacy thing. :)

Debra--congrats on keeping up on the mile a day. It has been really challenging this year with the snow and ice. We don't have a treadmill in our apartment (yep, still haven't decided what we are doing long term) so it has made things a little tough at times. I have done some really slow miles, but a mile is a mile no matter what the pace. At least that is what I am telling myself. :)

Maybe I am naive, but I am still kind of shocked that w&d sold out so quickly. I am just not a fan of all this drama surrounding rundisney now. But I guess it was bound to happen. I did have sticker shock when I registered three people. (DS is running again this year.) We have pretty much decided this is our one and only Disney race each year--that whole legacy thing. :)

I feel like I need to learn something from all of you and *always* skip the second year of every race! :)

I feel like I need to learn something from all of you and *always* skip the second year of every race! :)

haha. Seriously. Sometimes I am glad we have stuck with it, and sometimes not so much.

I emailed rundisney earlier this week about the legacy thing since I saw nothing on the registration and heard nothing...going to be pretty peeved if it is a nonevent.

I got notifications on the thread this morning. I think it was because, in a rare occasion, I was on the DISboards site (not app) yesterday. Who knows.

Anyway, thanks for the book recommendations, John. You have excellent taste. I've read all your suggestions - and enjoyed them. Great minds. ;)

As for ToT 10 Miler being worth doing...it depends. Such a predictable answer, I know. I really like the course entertainment and theming. Halloween is a "thing" for me. If you're a night person, the after party can be fun, especially if you're a faster runner. (Did anyone else notice they've cut back on this year's after-party by an hour? Grrrr....)

But the course is frustrating, with the congestion in the back of the back not helping when it narrows or turns. I'm not one for that whole section at ESPN WWoS. And because I'm slower, I don't get a lot of advantage out of the party.

George mentioned the humidity, too, although I seem to be resigned to it; it's not pleasant and I would prefer the race be moved closer to, well, Halloween.

So why do it? For me (and maybe for DOOD, I'm not sure), it's the theming and timing of the race. It's when we like to visit WDW anyway for a short weekend - with MNSSHP and Food & Wine offering a short mid-semester break. It's really less of a race than a run, especially at 10 miles. Then again, that's really the mindset for any runDisney race. Especially if you can get over the sticker shock. :rotfl2:

And I'm not a bling person, but I guess the medals and shirts are cool. Maybe George could chime in on that. :confused3

Rose and George: I, too, was surprised by how quickly Wine & Dine sold out. Maybe it is the 5th anniversary aspect, or the temptation to do b2b races with the Avengers for a C2C. We hadn't made up our minds about a second fall trip (two shorts and one long) and I couldn't get hold of DOOD before it closed, so no race for us.

It's all good. *shrug* We've gotten in a bad habit of not planning other races, what with work and travel schedules. Maybe this will help break the pattern. Probably not. LOL. Either way, we save money.

I do wish DOOD's university schedule would stabilize. The state system is tweaking the calendar. I have fantasies that the uni is able to hold off starting its winter semester until after the Celebration Marathon. Or that the Celebration Marathon moves up by a week. If that happened, we'd sign up for that race.

Rose: I haven't heard much about the Wine & Dine legacy, except there will be a special "one time only" commemorative finishers medal. But don't get me started on that. :rotfl:

So, what are you going to do to celebrate your legacy status? Are you doing Food & Wine?

And thanks for the congrats on the mile-a-day. I'm getting antsy to be outside. Well, not so much today, but in general. I admire you for doing so. Right now, being indoors has the advantage of increasing my WOs considerably. As long as I'm at the gym, I add other things so that I don't feel like I've "wasted" my time for just the mile. Hah! But the TM boredom factor is high.

AFM: Not much going on. We start our cruise next weekend. First one, ever. I'm still not convinced we're cruise people, but won't know until we try. I'm not a beach or water person, so there's that. On the other hand, I do like non-stop eating and there's plenty of mixed drinks to try. :lmao:

Any cruisers here, in the non-creepy sense?

As for ToT 10 Miler being worth doing...it depends. Such a predictable answer, I know. I really like the course entertainment and theming. Halloween is a "thing" for me. If you're a night person, the after party can be fun, especially if you're a faster runner. (Did anyone else notice they've cut back on this year's after-party by an hour? Grrrr....)

I did *not* notice that.. boo! We didn't stay until the last minute (I think?) but I'm pretty sure we were there *into* the last hour.. it's kind of fun to be doing Toy Story Mania (or Star Tours) at that hour!

I've been on a few cruises, but never Disney. I really want to, though. Aquaduck and animated paintings.. some day!

haha. Seriously. Sometimes I am glad we have stuck with it, and sometimes not so much.

I emailed rundisney earlier this week about the legacy thing since I saw nothing on the registration and heard nothing...going to be pretty peeved if it is a nonevent.

It would be odd if it were a nonevent. Considering the first year or two were kind of messy, you "perfectly wineys" should get an ever bigger recognition, in my opinion!

Debra--so very excited for your cruise! :)

It would be odd if it were a nonevent. Considering the first year or two were kind of messy, you "perfectly wineys" should get an ever bigger recognition, in my opinion!
Still haven't gotten a response from my email...not even a cryptic Disney 'stay tuned' kind of message. If they do nothing it will make it much easier to give up the legacy.:thumbsup2

With our luck we will get missed as legacy runners and they will do something and we won't be included! All that for nothing. :)

Debra--so very excited for your cruise! :)

Still haven't gotten a response from my email...not even a cryptic Disney 'stay tuned' kind of message. If they do nothing it will make it much easier to give up the legacy.:thumbsup2

With our luck we will get missed as legacy runners and they will do something and we won't be included! All that for nothing. :)

Wine and Dine will always have a special place in my heart as "That Race I Ran Five Days After Oral Surgery." The surgeon thought it would be helpful to say afterwards that the person (in their office) should have never said it would be fine. It wasn't helpful. :)

Wine and Dine will always have a special place in my heart as "That Race I Ran Five Days After Oral Surgery." The surgeon thought it would be helpful to say afterwards that the person (in their office) should have never said it would be fine. It wasn't helpful. :)

Ouch, ouch, ouch! I've had my share of painful races, but glad oral surgery was never a part of it.

Debra - I hope I qualify as a non-creepy cruiser for you! I wasn't sure my wife and I were cruise people but we loved it. We don't normally do shows or beaches but enjoyed the many shows and even a day of snorkeling, plus too much shopping. Then there was the food, the food, maybe a nice drink or two, the food, and (before I forget to mention it) the food!

It's really less of a race than a run, especially at 10 miles. Then again, that's really the mindset for any runDisney race. Especially if you can get over the sticker shock. :rotfl2:

And I'm not a bling person, but I guess the medals and shirts are cool. Maybe George could chime in on that. :confused3

Oops, missed this part. The medals and shirts *are* very cool, they both glow in the dark and the medal is, in my opinion, one of the coolest designs available from runDisney; the Tower of Terror with glow in the dark elements, complete with spring loaded elevator! So slick.

No way! I had no idea y'all were keepin' the clubhouse open :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!