Teen activities at Aulani

ebenmax

DIS Veteran
In 10 ten days we will be arriving at Aulani for the first time. They are beginning to release the Daily Iwa for the days of our stay. DD is 15 and I noticed some “teen”
(13-17) activities, however, they don’t really give much of a description of the events. Does anyone have experiences/reviews from any of your teens who have participated?

Thanks tons!

Hi! We will be there at the same time as you all (arrive 5/30, staying until 6/5), and we have a 14 yo DD, who will turn 15 while we are there--maybe they'll connect! Anyway, we were at Aulani about 18 months ago, and our daughter enjoyed the teen activities. They had a game night one night, a "house party/dance party" at Aunty's after the littles are booted at 9, a scavenger hunt one evening. She made a couple of friends that she has kept in touch with on Instagram! I will say she was a little reluctant at first, but once she went to the first activity and met a couple people, she was down with it.

Please report back. We are going in July and have 2 DS 14 and 16.

Luv2Trav - When in July are you going to be there? We are also scheduled to be there in early July. I have DD's (14 and 16) and now I need to know if I should cancel my trip! 8-):P:D lol

For what it's worth my girls are also interested in the teen activities so OP please let us know how it goes!

Yes...please report back as we will be going in July as well with DS & DD 16 They are very interested in what the activities are.

Hi! We will be there at the same time as you all (arrive 5/30, staying until 6/5), and we have a 14 yo DD, who will turn 15 while we are there--maybe they'll connect! Anyway, we were at Aulani about 18 months ago, and our daughter enjoyed the teen activities. They had a game night one night, a "house party/dance party" at Aunty's after the littles are booted at 9, a scavenger hunt one evening. She made a couple of friends that she has kept in touch with on Instagram! I will say she was a little reluctant at first, but once she went to the first activity and met a couple people, she was down with it.
That’s AWESOME! Maybe they will meet!
I’m guessing our DD will also be a little hesitant until she meets some others.
She is currently interested in the photo scavenger hunt and a sand sculpting activity. I haven’t seen the game night on the Iwa yet, but we have only 2 of our days released. We will be there 6/1-6/8.

Thanks for your reply!

Luv2Trav - When in July are you going to be there? We are also scheduled to be there in early July. I have DD's (14 and 16) and now I need to know if I should cancel my trip! 8-):P:D lol

For what it's worth my girls are also interested in the teen activities so OP please let us know how it goes!

That is funny... No need for concern. My boys can barely talk to girls. LOL Texting maybe but face to face talking we are still working on their skills. haha. I am hoping some activities help them some. :)

We will be there July 12-22nd.

Glad to hear about your daughter's positive experience with the teen program. My older daughter is turning 13 on Monday, so she'll be separated from her younger sister. It'll be interesting to see if either of my kids take to any of the kids/teen programs or make new friends.

That’s AWESOME! Maybe they will meet!
I’m guessing our DD will also be a little hesitant until she meets some others.
She is currently interested in the photo scavenger hunt and a sand sculpting activity. I haven’t seen the game night on the Iwa yet, but we have only 2 of our days released. We will be there 6/1-6/8.

Thanks for your reply!

Those are our exact dates! Can't wait! I'm off to check those daily Iwas!

That is funny... No need for concern. My boys can barely talk to girls. LOL Texting maybe but face to face talking we are still working on their skills. haha. I am hoping some activities help them some. :)

We will be there July 12-22nd.

Oh well... lol... We will be there the 2nd and leaving on the 12th so we will just miss you anyway. Hope you all have a wonderful time.

Glad to hear about your daughter's positive experience with the teen program. My older daughter is turning 13 on Monday, so she'll be separated from her younger sister. It'll be interesting to see if either of my kids take to any of the kids/teen programs or make new friends.

Those are our exact dates! Can't wait! I'm off to check those daily Iwas!
As of today, they only have June 1 & 2, but I keep checking because Sunday, the 3rd is one of our full Aulani days. Looks like most of the teen activities from the previous weeks have centered around the weekends.

Like you...so excited and counting down!

As of today, they only have June 1 & 2, but I keep checking because Sunday, the 3rd is one of our full Aulani days. Looks like most of the teen activities from the previous weeks have centered around the weekends.

Like you...so excited and counting down!

Based on the previous weekend they have more teen activities on Saturday vs Sunday. Sunday is our first full day as well. We don't have anything major planned for Saturday so maybe we can make it back for the afternoon teen activities. Just grocery shopping, lol.

Based on the previous weekend they have more teen activities on Saturday vs Sunday. Sunday is our first full day as well. We don't have anything major planned for Saturday so maybe we can make it back for the afternoon teen activities. Just grocery shopping, lol.
We are doing a bit of sightseeing Sat. am (since we assume we will be up super early!) but hope to be back for afternoon activities, as well. Our kiddos may get to meet! :flower1:

We arrive on the 29, staying through the 6th and then back again 9-15th. My daughter is 16. See all of you there!

Absolutely! I’ve added it to my calendar to remind me! I know after time in Hawaii, I’m sure to forget!!! :rolleyes:

Well...as promised I’d like to report back about the teen activities our DD15 attended while we were visiting Aulani 6/1-6/8. There were additional ones we couldn’t make, but she would have gone, if possible
She LOVED them and kept wanting to return each night eager for the next event.

TEEN HO'OKANI PILA (learning to play ukulele)
Each had their own ukulele. They learned 4 chords by an instructor and assistants. They could sing with the instructor if they chose, but she said most were too focused on trying to get the chords correct!
This was one of her favorites. Approx 10-12
guys and girls attended.

TEEN KI'I ONE (building sandcastles on beach)
Held in the afternoon sun so wear bathing suit and sunscreen. Taught techniques for building a better and more secure structure. Had tools to perfect them with details.
Other than being hot, she really liked this one, but only one other person attended.

TEEN ISLAND TREASURE PHOTO HUNT
(scavenger hunt around the resort in teams
armed with a video camera)
The kids roamed the resort looking for a given list of items. They used a video camera to record and returned to Aunty’s to watch each other’s videos. A prize was given at the end to a winning team. Teams were a mixture of guys and girls chosen by the staff. 15+ attended.
This was also very enjoyable to DD!

TEEN ANIMATION FUN (drawing characters)
DD was at first hesitant about this one since she claims she “can’t draw,” however, she came back very excited about her 2 drawings. The process is step by step so they feel successful by the end. She actually did this activity twice. The first night about 10 girls and the second night was a mix of guys and girls. Another favorite!

TEEN LEI MAKING
DD LOVED this one! She went several times. It was of particular interest to her. They had a choice of making a traditional
lei, the flower “crown,” or wrist and ankle “bracelets.” Then each night we would head to the grounds around the resort and take pictures of her wearing her floral accessories. I think they made her feel really pretty. This was held around 5:30 which could overlap with some dinner hours, but we just planned around it. Although one might think this is an activity for girls, she said guys attended, too!!

TEEN GAME NIGHT
A variety of games were offered from cards, to board, to video. Most were team games. DD and a group played Apples to Apples. She really had fun at this one! This one was one of the most popular in attendance. 15+ guys and girls.

Even though DD liked some activities more than others, she said she’d recommend all of them! She commented that the staff was fun and energetic. She guessed most to be early 20s. Never did she feel uncomfortable or unsafe at the activities or around the resort.
As parents, we were thrilled she participated as often as she did! It surprised us a bit because she is not particularly outgoing. My husband walked her down and picked her up most nights, but by the end she walked back with other girls. We felt comfortable leaving her at each activity. All in all...we highly recommend the teen events!
Let me know if you have any other questions I can answer!!

Thanks for the great report! DD will be a teen the next time we go and is already interested in some of the activities.

Well...as promised I’d like to report back about the teen activities our DD15 attended while we were visiting Aulani 6/1-6/8. There were additional ones we couldn’t make, but she would have gone, if possible
She LOVED them and kept wanting to return each night eager for the next event.

TEEN HO'OKANI PILA (learning to play ukulele)
Each had their own ukulele. They learned 4 chords by an instructor and assistants. They could sing with the instructor if they chose, but she said most were too focused on trying to get the chords correct!
This was one of her favorites. Approx 10-12
guys and girls attended.

TEEN KI'I ONE (building sandcastles on beach)
Held in the afternoon sun so wear bathing suit and sunscreen. Taught techniques for building a better and more secure structure. Had tools to perfect them with details.
Other than being hot, she really liked this one, but only one other person attended.

TEEN ISLAND TREASURE PHOTO HUNT
(scavenger hunt around the resort in teams
armed with a video camera)
The kids roamed the resort looking for a given list of items. They used a video camera to record and returned to Aunty’s to watch each other’s videos. A prize was given at the end to a winning team. Teams were a mixture of guys and girls chosen by the staff. 15+ attended.
This was also very enjoyable to DD!

TEEN ANIMATION FUN (drawing characters)
DD was at first hesitant about this one since she claims she “can’t draw,” however, she came back very excited about her 2 drawings. The process is step by step so they feel successful by the end. She actually did this activity twice. The first night about 10 girls and the second night was a mix of guys and girls. Another favorite!

TEEN LEI MAKING
DD LOVED this one! She went several times. It was of particular interest to her. They had a choice of making a traditional
lei, the flower “crown,” or wrist and ankle “bracelets.” Then each night we would head to the grounds around the resort and take pictures of her wearing her floral accessories. I think they made her feel really pretty. This was held around 5:30 which could overlap with some dinner hours, but we just planned around it. Although one might think this is an activity for girls, she said guys attended, too!!

TEEN GAME NIGHT
A variety of games were offered from cards, to board, to video. Most were team games. DD and a group played Apples to Apples. She really had fun at this one! This one was one of the most popular in attendance. 15+ guys and girls.

Even though DD liked some activities more than others, she said she’d recommend all of them! She commented that the staff was fun and energetic. She guessed most to be early 20s. Never did she feel uncomfortable or unsafe at the activities or around the resort.
As parents, we were thrilled she participated as often as she did! It surprised us a bit because she is not particularly outgoing. My husband walked her down and picked her up most nights, but by the end she walked back with other girls. We felt comfortable leaving her at each activity. All in all...we highly recommend the teen events!
Let me know if you have any other questions I can answer!!

Were all of these activities included (I’ve learned not to say “free” when it comes to Disney!!)? We’re going for New Year’s with 3 teens, so I’m happy to see all of these activities!

That sounds like so much fun! My daughter ended up doing NONE of the teen activities! She said she didn't go to Aulani to hang out with strangers, lol! If we ever go back, hopefully I can convince her to do a few. Maybe DD2 will be a teen by then and then they both can do them.

I'm guessing the teen animation is very similar to the family animation, which we did. Both of my girls loved that activity. We didn't get to it until our last day, otherwise we have done it more often.

I am also interested in knowing if these were fee based or included activities... Thank you so much for reporting back.. Just over a week till we will be there!

Thank you for this awesome update!! My kiddos are super excited to start planning once the Daily Iwa is posted for our trip. Its getting close!! 30 days!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter