Teens on their own at WDW

grinningghost

<font color=green>Has a thing for the Swiss Family
Hi everyone - I'm just starting to plan a possible trip in August. Our DD will be 14 by then and we're planning on bringing one of her friends with us. With all the craziness in the world these days, do you think it's still safe enough at WDW to let them go their own way most of the time? DD is already reeling with excitement that she's old enough to run the parks without mom and dad tagging along. We're a little nervous, should we be?

I went on a school sponsored trip to WDW with my cross country team. I was a freshman in high school and we went with the coach and his family. I think I saw him maybe once or twice a day...anyhow, times have changed of course, but I would probably let her at least roam the park you will be in for the day and maybe meet up for the trip back to hotel. It all depends on the child I guess, if your comfortable with her level of responsibility then go for it. How about those walkie talkie things to keep in touch in case of emergency?

Have fun!

You have more to consider than just safety. I feel WDW is a very safe place when you remember to use common sense. Yes, they are old enough to go to the attractions without you. What I'm talking about is, are these girls mature enough to handle meeting boys? And they will. Are they mature enough to get rid of boys who may be too old for them?

Our DD15, met a boy while waiting in line with our whole family. They exchanged e-mail addresses and corresponded for a year. The next summer our two families met at Epcot, conveniently arranged by the kids. It is now 2 years later and they still keep in touch even though they live a time zone apart.

He seems like a very nice boy with lovely parents. DD has many friends at home, girls and boys. I just wasn't prepared to share our family vacation. Anyway, there is more to think about than safety, such as is this a good idea, and are the girls ready to handle the situation.

Another thing for me, personally, is my son able to handle the feeling of freedom. Will he remember how to behave in public when I'm not looking over his shoulder? My son and his friends go to the pool in the summer and hang out there all afternoon. When I go down, their stuff is thrown everywhere, their trash is on the ground, they are loud and running everywhere. I won't put up with that and I don't expect others too either. So, along with safety, will they remember to be reasonably well behaved and polite to others? When one's excited and feeling independent, it's easy to forget about other people.

We just returned last Sunday from our Disney trip. My oldest ds-
who is 15 yrs-took the bus to DD a couple of nights. Not to DQ but to the guitar shop there--he plays the guitar. He did just fine.
My 12 yr old however I dont feel is old enough to do this alone. He either went with my oldest ds or with me. It depends on the kid. My oldest ds is very responsible and careful. The boys also went down to the pool without us, they really liked SAB.

I think it depends on both the kid and the parents. Only you know how much you can trust your kids to be responsible (and how much you can trust them to recognize a bad situation and get out) and only you know how you will hold up under the anxiety.

Might I suggest a longer leash rather than no leash at all? Rent cell phones or radios and have her check in on a schedule. Meet up more often (at least at first). Let her seperate, but only in the same park the rest of the family is in. You can always let the leash out farther as the vacation goes on.

The craziness level hasn't changed - the media reporting of the craziness has changed. But that doesn't mean you can't be cautious.

1) If you are in the same park, shouldn't be a problem.
2) Kids need some space and decision-making.
3) They also do not need to "run with the old folks".
4) We let our kids run alone at 15 with no problems.
5) Just set meeting places at specific times, to check in and/or eat.

My DS is 10 and just starting to demand more freedom so i know we will be facing the same issue in a few years. My take on it is that they should me fine in the same park you are in. They could tour on their own for several hours and meet up with you for meals or special events such as fantasmic. If you are in DD they should be fine to go to a few stores on their own with a meeting place a little latter. They should also be fine by the pool for a few hours as long as you are at the resort.
I would check with your DD's parents to make sure you both agree on the level of independence you are comfortable with.
As for the boys, I would review any safty rules you would expect them to follow anywhere. Never leave the park with them, never give out any personal information or any other rules you might decide on such as to let then tell them what resort you are at ect. Riding a few rides with a couple same age boys should not be too big an issue but you will need to set those limits that you are comfortable with too.
Sounds like this should be a great trip for everyone.

Jordan's mom

We let my DS and nephew both 14 were on their own in the parks. They loved it, able to do Space Mountain 5 times in a row!! We kept in touch by cell phone and would meet up now and then. Without cell phones or walkie-talkies I might have second thoughts.

I have a 15 yr old son and a 14.5 yr old daughter and agree with several people who have already said it depends on the kids. I personally would not let my kids go off on their own, nor would they want to. They have too much fun riding the big and scary rides with their dad.

My son is still very immature, so it will probably be another year or two until he wants to venture out on his own. There is no way he could take the bus by himself anywhere, he would end up in Miami, oh my :)

We have let our 2 children go on their own since they were 13. We always stay at OKW and the rule is they let us know where they are going when they leave and then if they change parks they must call the room and say what time it is and where they are headed. We simply call the room and check the messages so we know where they are. No problems so far, and now my DD (19) is working at WDW on the college program and my DS (16) and DH and I are going to visit at the end of the month. Can't wait to see her.

Especially for the *first time* experience of freedom in such a LARGE, highly populated area, I would insist on radio or cell-phone contact, and most definitely be in the same park as the adults. You never can tell when an issue might pop up that they are not quite sure how to handle.....sometimes my DS surprises me with his independence and ability to make good decisions and other times he outright SHOCKS me with immaturity! (he's only 11 1/2....we have a ways to go yet....:rolleyes: )

I'd say go slow - they can earn your trust (and their freedom! :p ) by abiding by rules that have been clearly layed out, so there is NO possibility of misunderstanding! If they prove themselves capable - the looser the reigns (within reason, of course! ;) )

When my sister was a teenager, she and her best friend went to WDW with her friend's dad and sister. My mom did not know that the dad's plan was to stay at the hotel while the kids were on their own. Well, my sister did leave the park by herself with a male CM and went to his house. This was something totally out of character. I would be cautious and perhaps have places to meet up for lunch or dinner or at the hotel pool, so you can touch base during the day. Staying in touch by cellphone doesn't exactly let you know where someone is.

If your kids respect your rules at home, which I assume they do or you wouldn't be considering giving them this freedom, I'd let them go on their own some. They need practice using freedom wisely, as it won't be long before they're off to college. Especially with cell phones I would let a teen who stays out of trouble have freedom at WDW. I think there are few places as safe as Disney for a teen to roam. There are shootings at public schools. Have you ever heard of one at WDW? There are children abducted from their own yards in nice neighborhoods. Have you ever heard of a kidnapping from WDW? Our kids are in more danger at our local malls than in WDW. It's the perfect opportunity for some freedom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter