Tell me about 6 am flights

I get to the airport for an early morning flight just as far in advance as I get there for any other flight. A LOT of people are booked on early morning flights- they aren't rare at all. There will be less crowding at the airport, but don't count on a quick check-in or a walk through security.

In general, if you can handle getting up early, early morning flights are great because they are the flights most likely to depart on time.

This exactly. We fly out of Buffalo, always the early nonstop. Yes, the road traffic is great, so getting there is easy. We have a 15 minute drive & leave our house at least 2 hours before flight time. We park in a very close lot & can walk to the terminal in 5 minutes. Southwest’s new tag your own bag terminals are great & an easy way to expedite your check in. They still have agents if you need more help & that line is usually pretty long. At our airport we usually walk straight thru the precheck line but regular lanes have a short wait. We then have time to grab a quick bagel before boarding .

I think the important point is to remember your flight will be full as will most other flights. Airlines have been flying full planes for several years now. You won’t be the only one at the airport. I also see lots of tour & school groups checking in on SW & other airlines that early too. And those groups seem to take longer to go thru the check in & security process. You never know what you will run into. I’d rather start my vacation early & relaxed rather than stressed because I didn’t have enough time.

I've done them, but only when there wasn't a mid morning or early afternoon option. It takes a lot out of me though to be up and ready and out the door that early in the day. At my local regional airport I can easily be there 1 hour ahead and have no issues, but it's tiny. At our larger international airports I still give myself 2 hours for early morning flights. It can still be pretty crowded at that time of day.

Link is dead
Try this link.
https://www.delta.com/us/en/check-in-security/check-in-time-requirements/domestic-check-in
General rule is 30 minutes, a couple of 1 hour exceptions(including jfk) and many 45 minute exceptions.

The cutoff is generally computer enforced, checkin isn't completed prior to deadline computer won't let employee check the bags
But why chance it by cutting it so close if you know your airport is different? Because guess what, if the agent working the counter (in our case, the agent called the baggage handler to see if they could take the bag) says "nope, your bag is too late" it doesn't matter what the computer says. They won't even accept it check it in on the computer
If they say no, you ain't getting it on, no matter what the airline website says.
You can argue with them, pull up the website show them the policy and waste time, which will by then probably be late anyway. It's about as much good as arguing with TSA about what is and isn't allowed.
Their counter, their rules. You either follow them or you don't fly.
Guess which way I choose to go?

But why chance it by cutting it so close if you know your airport is different?
o?

I only offered a corrected link offered by a previous poster.
Airlines, airports and the TSA offer suggested airport arrival times. JMO, passengers asking for input on DIS are passengers who should follow posted guidelines

If you have to ask on DIS you shouldn't be doing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts