Tell me about banshees

My then 13 year old really wanted one after riding FOP- she had watched the movie once and was not a big fan of the movie (she is a huge fan of the ride). She purchased it and ended up bringing it back two days later as she realized it was a lot of money for something that would sit on her shelf after the trip. She opted for a purse instead :)

Hey guys, I was told that this should go here, so apologies if this is the wrong board. I wanted to pick up a banshee from the rookery when I was there back in January but didn't have the money at the time. Now that they've restocked them on shopDisney, I'm tempted, but at $100 they're pretty steep and I don't have the rush of being at the parks anymore. To people that own one or more, would you say they're worth the cost?

I recently bought one for my daughter and it was $60. Just FYI. As for whether it’s worth it, that is pretty subjective, lol. They are pretty cool, but my daughter doesn’t play with hers very much. But she’s only 5, so...

They also have some plush banshees at Wind Traders depending on how old your kids are. They're about half the price and my 7 y.o. so loves his. The wings flap, he can throw it across the room to make it fly and not break it, and he brought it to school for show and tell which i probably wouldn't have let him do with a $60 toy :)

Most things we buy at Disney give us the most joy at Disney and not so much when we get home. (I myself use coffee mugs and one keychain, but I don't wear the shirts or hats or jackets or ears I've bought over the years.)

I was happy when DD14 wanted and bought one; she wore it all through AK both days we were there. I have some great short videos where that banshee looks like her closest pet, and they still make us smile.

My regret is that we didn't get the perch (had to do with the high purchase price) and the poor guy will have to wait until our next trip to the World to be able to take his place among the collection of dragons and winged creatures that still (for now, anyway) sit on a shelf in DD's bedroom.

our daughter got one last july,she could not get it to sit on her shoulder right and it kept falling over.It went back into the box for the trip home and hasn't been out of it since.

Our 8 year old son got one in February. We got lucky and there was no line so we did the it that way. He didn't HAVE to have it and didn't know about it ahead of time at all. It was fun picking it out, he really enjoyed it while we were at Disney and I don't think he has looked at it again since getting home.

I always assume that's what will happen with Disney souvenirs.

My daughter really wanted one when we were there in December. She enjoyed the whole buying experience and played with it throughout our trip. Since we’ve been home she took it out of the box once.

Our good friend purchased one for my younger son, who didn’t want one when we were there, for Christmas. He said he really didn’t want it. I felt bad, but we returned it. We already have one taking up closet space, didn’t need another!!!!

Last edited:
I love DIS for threads like THIS!! I had no clue what a Banshee was while reading all of your comments. Then I googled and got the sticker shot! :scared::scared: None of my kids (DD 10, DS 6) know what banshee is... How should I "avoid" it? Are there a lot of people playing with this in the park??

I think the only way to avoid it would be to not ride FoP. When you ride FoP, the exit sends you through the gift shop, where they are prominently displayed...

I think the only way to avoid it would be to not ride FoP. When you ride FoP, the exit sends you through the gift shop, where they are prominently displayed...

Good to know. Thank you.. I always have a talk with my kids about "going through the evil gift shop" every time we go somewhere with a gift shop.:chat:

I bought one during opening weekend of Pandora and I love it! I'm an AP, so I've taken it back to the parks with me several times. After a bit of playing with it, I've gotten to where I can make the movements look pretty organic and kids especially seem to love it. I've had lots of kids standing next to me in line ask to pet my banshee and get really excited to watch it moving around. I've even had multiple grown adults ask "is it real?"

I also have multiple local Renaissance Festivals and I'm looking forward to brining my Banshee along with me to those and I'm planning to incorporate it into a cosplay I'm working on based on the Dragonriders of Pern series to wear to conventions, so I have lots of opportunities to take my banshee out and about.

So I would suggest thinking about other opportunities you might have to use it as well when deciding whether or not you think the banshee will be a good value for you. They are very well made and look a lot better than other shoulder creatures I've seen for sale at Renaissance Festivals in the past, so for me, it was definitely worth the price. You'll have to decide for yourself how much use you think you'll get out of it, though.

18767798_10213099789672746_6781076752916573531_n.jpg

Good to know. Thank you.. I always have a talk with my kids about "going through the evil gift shop" every time we go somewhere with a gift shop.:chat:

You can actually bypass the gift shop since it lets you outside first, though you are pointed right at it. I believe there is a path to the left where you can go around it.

I bought one during opening weekend of Pandora and I love it! I'm an AP, so I've taken it back to the parks with me several times. After a bit of playing with it, I've gotten to where I can make the movements look pretty organic and kids especially seem to love it. I've had lots of kids standing next to me in line ask to pet my banshee and get really excited to watch it moving around.

Ditto for me (except mine it the purple(pink) & blue/black! I also bought on opening weekend, and usually take it back with me - we do several long weekends during the year. Lots of fun! She sits on her perch at home though.....

And yes, I definitely thought "Firelizzard!" when I first saw one - would love to see your cosplay when its finished!

We bought two last August. My son brought it to school for show and share and still plays with it occasionally. My daughter doesn’t play with hers (she’s almost 12) but she does keep it perched on her headboard so it’s become a decorative element in her bedroom. I don’t regret buying them at all.

My 13 year old granddaughter decided against getting one, after much wringing of hands and weighing the pros and cons. I was glad. The box is huge and they're somewhat uncomfortable to wear, for a lot of kids.

My daughter got one (7) it was our last day there, she played with it a little bit in the park. It has never come out of the box since

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter