Tell me about Costco...

buzzrelly

DIS Veteran
We are getting a new Costco built near us and I have never been. Is it similar to BJ's/Sam"s Club? Is it better or worse than those?

I hear a lot of people on these boards talking about the travel part-is it better than AAA?

Thanks!

We stopped going to Costco a couple years ago, but we found it to have a better selection than BJ's and better quality generics and store made food products (and far better quality meat) than Sam's.

The warranty was also ridiculous. Return anything you aren't happy with for any reason, after any amount of time, and you get a full credit for purchase price. Because of abuse by too many people, they now limit electronics/computers to 90 days IIRC). People were buying big screen TVs and computers then just upgrading them every 3 or 4 years as the technology improved. If it isn't overly abused it'll still apply to everything else - but I was there shortly after Christmas one year and I saw people returning live wreaths, so I don't know how long they can maintain that warranty.

Great customer service. Their "house" brand - Kirkland -- is very good. I think they quality of the products they carry, with various brands, is always top notch. I think, price-wise, they are on par with BJ's and Sam's, but I just like their selection better. I did like BJs because they offered more selection on items for smaller families. Ideally I'd like to have both memberships but I had to draw the line!!

We have a Costco just a couple of miles away. We do most of our shopping there. We had a Sam's Club next door, but they had to close because they couldn't compete with the quality of Costco.

I love shopping at Costco not only because of the quality of their products, but also because of their business model. They pay their employees well, unlike Sams (Wal-Mart), and their CEO has a policy of only taking a certain percentage over the lowest paid employee's salary. There have been quite a few documentaries about Costco's successful business model. Some are probably on youtube.

We have shopped Costco, BJ's and Sam's throughout the years, but Costco is BY FAR our favourite and we gave up our BJ's membership to go back to shopping at Costco, even though the Costco store was somewhat further away. My few experiences with Sam's Club were not remotely positive, so I don't even consider them to be a contender. Everything that people have mentioned above with Costco is what we have found as well. Kirkland products are generally very good. We shop there for their meats especially. Costco carries a large number of organic products and their produce is usually very good. One of the issues that we had with our local BJ's was that they carried smaller sizes of produce, but it always spoiled within a few days...like they were not getting the rotation of food items expected, so they were always putting out their next oldest produce instead of the freshest. About the only thing we preferred from BJ's that we don't get a Costco is custom-sliced deli meat. At Costco, the deli meat is all pre-sliced in packages. It is good quality meat, but it is thicker sliced and my family prefers our deli meat thin sliced. The deli meat wasn't enough to keep us going to BJ's. We just started buying our deli items elsewhere. With moves and other life changes, I have found myself without a Costco about three years out of the last twenty-five. I have told my husband that I will never move anywhere again that doesn't have a Costco. I don't think our family would be willing to give up their huge pumpkin pies for $5.99 or their peppermint bark during the holidays.

Our Costco customer service is (currently) better than our Sam's Club customer service. Similar return policies, but less attitude from Costco CSRs (for now).

Produce quality at our locale is spotty (SC is better). Pre-prepared foods selection is significantly better at Costco. Furniture generally seems like it's better quality, but built for larger homes (we live in a historic Bungalow - very small).

Because it is reasonably cutting edge technology, I buy my business electronics at Costco (laptops, printers, scanners, etc.). Because it's moderate I buy my personal electronics at Sam's Club (TV's, Blu-Ray players, etc.).

I often use their travel site for rental cars. I also currently use the insurance carrier they offer.

I have memberships to both, but would be hard pressed to figure out which to drop.

We prefer Costco over BJs and Sams. Awesome products and great customer service.

We had one built about a year ago by us. It was very nice and offered many products. The only reason we didn't join is we had to sign up for an AE card unless we wanted to pay cash or debit. We use a Disney Visa for obvious reasons and that's why we refused membership. However, I read that early next year they will no longer accept AE or allow AE and will be accepting Visa.

Love Costco.....but have no BJs around and don't go to Sam's.
Been shopping there for about 30 years and very happy with them. I go every week.
Products are great and people are nice. Great customer service.

Love Costco. Better quality products, IMO, than Sam's Club at the same (and sometimes lesser) prices.

Their return policy is generous, too generous perhaps. Yesterday, I purchased 21 (24 count) packages of chocolate chip cookies to be sold at a homecoming "tailgating" party. We sold about 10 or 11 of those. One person suggested I just "take the rest back." Now, there is no doubt I could have done that and they would have cheerfully refunded my money. But, I refused to do so. That's just wrong. It's not their fault that I bought too many (and I bought the amount suggested by the people organizing the fundraiser), and it just felt wrong to take those cookies back when I KNEW they would have to be destroyed by Costco (since they are not a "sealed" package, but only a blister pack.).

I've seen people returning 1/2 eaten trays of food, etc, and to me, not something I would do. It takes advantage of their generous return policy and drives up costs for all shoppers.

I have returned things that were broken, spoiled when opened, or didn't fit properly, and never had an issue. The fit thing, in particular, is fair game IMO because they do not offer changing rooms so there is no way to "try before you buy."

The only negative comments I have are that ours are too few so.. always very busy but they still are very good at getting customers through check out. Our purchase of their chicken breasts have thus far not been good; however, chicken is subjective by origin IMHO.

I received a 30 day free trial for Costco, but I didn't officially become a member after that. The store just wasn't conveniently located for me. And it's just me and DH in the house. But I did enjoy their products during my trial, and loved trying all the free samples.

I believe they must have a limit to people abusing their generous return policy. After two or three attempts to return half eaten party trays, or partially used giant packages of napkins, paper cups, etc., it's obvious what those people are doing. Costco might refund their membership fee and tell them to get lost since they're unable to satisfy such picky customers.

We have all within the same distance. I prefer BJs because of the size and cost of products plus I can use coupons (both manufacturer and store at the same time)there. It really depends on the items you buy and for us BJs is the best deal, oh also because with our rewards our membership is free.

A lot of people swear by Costco but I think they are pricey, too large and crowded. I know when ours opened they had a huge sale on memberships, it was really cheap which made it worth it for us to get it but after a year we decided it wasn't worth the cost.

Those returns likely don't cost Costco a thing: the costs of returns are borne by the vendors. Some of the books I make are sold at Costco and returns and damaged book costs are passed on to the vendor through our distributer. It's the cost of doing business with Costco and businesses factor in returns in their costs.

We have a Costco just a couple of miles away. We do most of our shopping there. We had a Sam's Club next door, but they had to close because they couldn't compete with the quality of Costco.

I love shopping at Costco not only because of the quality of their products, but also because of their business model. They pay their employees well, unlike Sams (Wal-Mart), and their CEO has a policy of only taking a certain percentage over the lowest paid employee's salary. There have been quite a few documentaries about Costco's successful business model. Some are probably on youtube.

This is why I like Costco as well. I also like that my family of 4 can eat there for less than $10.

Love Costco! Their fresh salmon is yummy, and they have lots of great products. As mentioned upthread, their Kirkland brand is reliable.

I love Costco! They have a good return policy. I bought some dip once that was just NASTY. They took it back no questions asked. Their TP is great, as well as cost of over the counter medication.

We have Sam's 5 minutes from us and 3 Costco within 1.5 hours (north and south of us). We love Costco. Heading there for passport pictures later today $4.99. Rental car prices are great. I've used hotel codes too.

We have a cruise booked through them. Their travel department customer service is fantastic. I was on the phone with them 1.25 hours the other day getting better package rate, and got Costco shipboard credit and cruise line shipboard credit (over 550 per cabin).

We love Costco's meat, especially their pork tenderloin and beef fillets.

Our church has a lot of parties and so much of the food is purchased at Costco, we say that the party was "catered by Costco."

DBIL has a Sam's membership, and on the very rare occasion Sam's has a good deal we can't get at Costco, DBIL uses his card for us.

The parking lot is a mess and many of the shoppers seem desperate, especially when the store is giving out food samples. I try to stay away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter