Tell me about Discovery Cove--have you gone???

Hi everyone!

My family and I are going to Dicovery Cove a few week after Xmas and I had a question for anyone who has been there before.

What do you wear underneath the wetsuits? My mom says we have to wear them because the water is gonna be cold (it is winter i guess)

Do you just wear boardshorts underneath the wetsuits? A friend on my school swim team said I should wear my jammers underneath it, is this a good idea? It's proboly much better than having swiming trunks all bunched up all day long.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi,

We are considering doing a non dolphin swim day at Discovery Cove in June/July. Our children (DS3 and DD2) will be too young to do the Dolphin Swim and neither my DH or I are particularly interested in doing it. My DS absolutely loves all ocean life and knows the names of fish I have never even heard of. We have ocean life encyclopedias all over the house and he reads (well looks at the pictures) all of them cover to cover daily and asks us what all of the fish are called. His favourite ocean creatures are by far "Orca Killer Whales" which for some reason he says in a South African accent (we are from the UK) and Rays (Manta, Sting and a few others that he knows but I don't).

Do you think they will be old enough to enjoy the experience? Will it be hard teaching them to snorkel? Is it something we should try to get them familiar with before we go (snorkelling)? Neither of them are able to swim as yet, but they will be starting lessons some time this month.

We are thinking of skipping Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure to do Discovery Cove instead. Do you think they would enjoy this more?

Can you buy underwater cameras when you get there or will I need to pick one up before we go? Are underwater cameras any good out of the water or will I need to bring a standard camera for the Aviary etc? What will we need to bring with us for the day? What should we leave at home?

Do they have a gift shop? Does it sell toy (not stuffed animals) ocean creatures? Do they sell books? Does anyone have pictures of the gift shop?Just trying to budget because I think he might one nearly eveything in the store!! lol :lmao:

Hello

We have booked to go to discovery cove.

Few questions if you do not mind :-

1. We are going in August what time does the park shut?

2. Food .......... can you please advise is it just lunch you get or dinner ... if just lunch what time can you eat until ... we have free dining plan but not sure whether to have table service meal that evening.

3. Snacks ........ what do they class as snacks.

Many thanks for all your help

Hello

We have booked to go to discovery cove.

Few questions if you do not mind :-

1. We are going in August what time does the park shut? The park officially closes at 5:30 PM year round. However, the shop and the photo pick up is open longer than that. All the attractions close at 5:30, but we tend to enjoy them right until the end and then we get showered and changed. By the time we are actually leaving the park, it is usually about an hour later.

2. Food .......... can you please advise is it just lunch you get or dinner ... if just lunch what time can you eat until ... we have free dining plan but not sure whether to have table service meal that evening. They definitely only serve lunch. I am not absolutely sure about the closing time, but seem to remember that it is around 3

3. Snacks ........ what do they class as snacks. They offer warm pretzels, chips, Oreos, etc. Most snacks are prepackaged

Many thanks for all your help

I have added my answers in red.

Corinna

Can anyone help me out here or direct me... I'm considering Discovery Cove with my wife, my daughter and myself. My wife and I would like to do the dolphin swim. My daughter is 2 years old and therefore not old enough to "participate" in the dolphin swim.
For obvious reasons (pictures, just watching/seeing my wife interact with "her" dolphin, and vice versa), my wife and I would like to do the swim during the same time period (I'm not sure how they're scheduled, how often and how many people in your "group").
Is this possible when you have a two year old? If so, how? I mean, would I stand there in the water, holding our daughter while my wife does her swim, then my wife holds our daughter while I do mine.
Has anyone experienced/heard/seen of a similar scenario?
If it's not possible, I'm not sure if it would be enjoyable (for me) to do my swim during a different time period.
I'll definately get the dolphin swim for my wife if nothing else and I'll just get the non-dolphin package for myself.
Please help, thank you!

Discovery Cove answered my questions for me and they did better than I thought they would, so I will include it below. We must schedule our dolphin swims at different time periods... I'll probably just have my wife do it, not that big a deal to me.

EXCERPTS FROM DISCOVERY COVE:
I'm sorry, you will not be able to bring your child into the water during the interaction. Once the interaction has begun, you will be unable to enter and exit the water.To ensure someone from your party is always with your child, we can arrange for separate dolphin interaction times. Then, while each group is swimming, the non-participating guests can either watch the interaction from the shore or visit another part of the park. To make these arrangements, please inform the representative when you make your reservations as well as the check-in staff once you arrive at the park.
In cases of parents splitting their swim time to watch their young children, you may purchase just one photo package and combine your photos and/or have both interactions on a DVD.
Everything is ready and waiting for you from the moment that you arrive!Included in your day's admission is a continental breakfast featuring Danish pastries, muffins, fruit, coffee and juice, all snacks and beverages throughout the day, as well as various Anheuser-Busch products from either of our marketplaces. These amenities are all in addition to the Laguna Grill lunch always included as part of Discovery Cove admission.
Our normal park hours are 9:00 am to 5:30 pm; however, we recommend that you check in for your day between 8:00 am and 9:00 am. This will allow you to begin your day early, so you do not miss a moment!

I am looking to come to discovery cove in May '10 and do the dolphin swim with my girlfriend and do the proposal package. Does anyone know of any good discounts, or promotions. Also any advice from people that have been would be great. Thanks Chad

Does anybody know if you buy a Discovery Cove ticket which includes Seaworld access can you go to Seaworld first or do you have to activate it at Discovery Cove.

Hope this makes sense.:confused3

Nope you can go to SW first. To the left of the turnstiles, there is a booth that says Discovery Cove tickets, and you go in there and they do it up for you. Just bring your printed copy for Discovery Cove. We did this exact same thing last year! Have fun, DC is awesome, as well as SW!

Nope you can go to SW first. To the left of the turnstiles, there is a booth that says Discovery Cove tickets, and you go in there and they do it up for you. Just bring your printed copy for Discovery Cove. We did this exact same thing last year! Have fun, DC is awesome, as well as SW!

that's right. I did the same last year!

I am looking to come to discovery cove in May '10 and do the dolphin swim with my girlfriend and do the proposal package. Does anyone know of any good discounts, or promotions. Also any advice from people that have been would be great. Thanks Chad

Check their site or give them a call. I know when I booked a requested a book early code and I saved like $100.I think it just has to be 2-3 months in advance. You can also check the website.

I went in April 2010 - you can check out the DC and SW part of my trip report here. Be sure to check out tillikumtrainers as well - look up a few posts earlier than this one.

M042510_00_6936.jpg

M042510_00_1023.jpg

You definately want to go to Discovery cove. the price is well worth it. Besides the dolphin experience, which is fantastic, you get wonderful meals and snacks, and a beach and swim fun for everyone. My husband and I have gone twice. I love it. I go in with the dolphins, he does not. But we go around the river just floating along, we swam with the manrays (I think that is their name) and just had a blast. The food is soooooo good. And you get a 7 day free pass to Seaworld or Bush Gardens. We went to Seaworls. We only went one day, but still enjoyed ourselves. You must do this once if not more. :cool1:

What if it rains during your scheduled dolphin swim? Do you get another time slot?

Not for rain. However, if there is a thunder storm within a certain distance of Discovery Cove, they will clear all the water areas and would reschedule your dolphin swim.

Corinna

I read all of the posts and am so glad that we have reservations for our 31st wedding anniversary :) I never thought to ask them if they can do a cake or something for us. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Also, I am handicapped and have horrible trouble walking esp. without my water shoes (speedo), I think someone said you cannot wear them on the Dolphin swim, is this true?

I read all of the posts and am so glad that we have reservations for our 31st wedding anniversary :) I never thought to ask them if they can do a cake or something for us. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Also, I am handicapped and have horrible trouble walking esp. without my water shoes (speedo), I think someone said you cannot wear them on the Dolphin swim, is this true?

Yes, this is correct. No footwear of any kind is allowed in the dolphin lagoon.

Corinna

A few questions I haven't seen answered.

How long is the Dolphin Encounter?
Do you have to pay for food if you feed the birds in the aviary?
Are there set times of day when the aviary is closed? (this was the case at Busch Gardens in VA)
How many people are in your dolphin group?
Is there a listing of the dolphin names (DD wants to know :) )

Thanks - we're scheduled for 12 days from now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter