Tell Me About The First Week of December -- For 2020

Sweet Pea Reed

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,
DH and I have a 9-day trip scheduled for February 2020, but I am considering delaying it to the first week of December, 3-12, for 2020. The only reason we'd delay is because our dog is 14. While we'd have an in-home sitter and the dog is healthy, I'm having some worries right now of leaving him for 9 days --- just the normal anxieties of leaving a furbaby, nothing more.

If we decide to postpone, it would be for the first week of December, because it's DH's birthday. What are the crowd like at this time? We're used to going the week before President's Day. Things to consider?

Historically a low-ish time, BUT the values might be crowded due to Pop Warner around the 5th? I'm not sure when it will be in 2020.
You'd also have to contend with early closings at MK for the christmas parties so non party days can be crowded (especially saturdays)

Nobody is going to be able to tell you what the crowd is going to be like 13 months from now. However, generally speaking the first week of December is kinda sorta crowded (in WDW terms). Not like Thanksgiving or Xmas week, but not as light as summer can be.

We are going that week. We arrive the weekend of the 4th and will stay through that following Tuesday. We are going specifically because my daughter's dance studio is performing there. The only thing that "worries" me is that it is Pop Warner week and we don't have a choice of our hotels. If our studio chooses a value, I believe that's also where a lot of Pop Warner crowds are (I am just learning all of this as it's a brand new time of year for us to go).

Depending on when you planned for in Feb, you'll probably run into more crowds in December. And your dog that is currently healthy will be almost a year older. I fail to see the logic in the delay.

We went Dec 8-15 , 2018. It was a great time to go.. experience all of the holiday fun without the crowds of Thanksgiving or Christmas. As I do not know what it will be like next year, I know we had a great time.. however.. it was FREEZING a few nights. It was 40° at our MVMCP!!!

We are going this Dec 3-10. I was most surprised by how there was hardly any dining availability compared to our Feb 2017 trip. Got the dining plan, but on day 180, there was hardly any of our top picks available.

Busy!! Been twice. Pop warner and the crowd calendars saying a low time to go had flipped this on its head.

We are going this Dec 3-10. I was most surprised by how there was hardly any dining availability compared to our Feb 2017 trip. Got the dining plan, but on day 180, there was hardly any of our top picks available.

We are there from 10 to 17 and I think that timeframe is a bit better in terms of crowd size, although IMO the crowds are there throughout December now.

OP I would choose dates based on what works better for your family, and if you want to be there during the Holiday season or not. It is impossible to guess what next year will look like, and depending on the day, a "low crowd" expectation can swell just because. I choose based on dates discounts are available and family schedule, and then make it work.

We went a few years ago in early December and loved it! We love going when the parks are decorated for Christmas and this was by far the lowest crowd time to experience the holidays. We have also been the week of Thanksgiving and from Christmas to New Years so we really thought there was no one in the parks compared to other trips. Of course, we were just thrilled to be able to see the sidewalk! :rotfl2:

We went December 2-9, 2018 expecting lowish crowds and it was crowded! We met quite a few guests who said they usually come the first week and each year it becomes more and more crowded. It was a wonderful trip with great temps and so much christmas magic! But def not low crowds for our experience.

Did WDW first week of December one year (won't name the year) and it was too cold to wear shorts 9 out of 10 days. Overcoats were the rule much of the time. One night was so cold that next morning the gardening crews were out replanting flowers that froze. Another thread on The DIS mentioned that Christmas time weather varies all over the map.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!