Tell Me About Tony's Town Square... Is it actually bad food, or just not really Italian food?

Awesome to get so many opinions! I think we'll keep it (unless I end up having a fastpass conflict or something). Bland red sauce and pasta that's somewhat better done than is to modern taste is fine and kind of keeping with what I expected (although I'm thinking we probably won't order the spaghetti). It works on so many other levels that I think we'll survive.

Awesome to get so many opinions! I think we'll keep it (unless I end up having a fastpass conflict or something). Bland red sauce and pasta that's somewhat better done than is to modern taste is fine and kind of keeping with what I expected (although I'm thinking we probably won't order the spaghetti). It works on so many other levels that I think we'll survive.

Recreating the spaghetti scene was my favourite memory of that meal :) Ordering the spaghetti was a must for me!

I would agree that it is just not very good Italian food. That being said, the best thing going for it is it is a table service restaurant inside of MK.

We have gone there for that reason; if it weren't in the park, I would not go there at all.

We end up going there most trips, and it is fine. DD always has it on her "must-do" list because it was the first place she remembers eating in MK and someone is a huge Lady and the Tramp fan (that would me me).

The food isn't terribly memorable for being super incredible or for being horrible. The creme brulee for dessert is always good.

When my dd and I were there in August we commented how the spaghetti and meatballs were prepared the way they are because of theming. In the movie the plate of pasta is white spaghetti with the sauce and meatballs on top. It's great theming but not the best preparation. The pasta should be finished in the sauce. It's a case where theming takes precedence over taste. I still really like Tony's though.

I'm in the "Tastes like canned spaghetti and frozen dinner chicken parm" camp. Were I to recreate this scene, I would keep pushing until the meatball fell off the table.

tumblr_nu9sgchBAs1rikvc5o5_500.gif

We have a reservation for there on our last park day, around 8pm. It works for us for a bunch of reasons (it'll be December, we may be cold, we'll definitely be tired, and we will want to sit and recharge, preferably with a glass of wine/beer). Also DH is very fussy, and he'll predictably eat red sauce Italian.

I'm aware that it's an old fashioned and heavily Ameracanized approach to Italian cooking, and that many people don't love their sauce, but is it mostly a style issue, or is the kitchen consistently turning out bad food (under or overcooked, underseasoned, greasy, etc.)?

I'd prefer to keep it, but I've noticed that it's number one on at least a couple of "Worst Walt Disney Restaurant" lists.

I know it gets bad reviews, but I would try it if you want to. Don't let the reviews sway you. My daughter and soninlaw LOVE Tony's and eat there each time they go to WDW. My soninlaw is quite the cook and loves good food, so I trust him on this. They are not gourmets or "foodies", but just like good food and service, and apparently they have had both enough times to keep going back. Peoples opinions are just that: ie, opinions. So, I would try it if you want to and decide for yourselves. Have fun!

It's the only restaurant in Disney that my DH has declared "never again." The two strikes rule, evidently. In two trips, between four people, we've had one thing that anyone actually liked and/or finished--the zucchini fries. I'm not sure what theming people are referring to--there's a statue. That's it. We've also had meh service once and awful service once. I usually say try everything once (because tastes vary....and also because inconsistency is the hallmark of Disney), but in this case, for park TS prices, I'd say avoid it.

I always smile at the Diser's comparisons to Olive garden. Our local Olive Garden is always busy and I do mean ALWAYS!
Funny how some seem to feel it's so inadequate. I'd go there anytime.
And I like Tony's too!

I eat very little Italian food, I don't care for pasta. But the steak at Tony's was AMAZING! And the creme brulee. Granddaughter got the spaghetti/meatball and really liked it. She even requested Tony's for her 'sweet sixteen' dinner last week.
Service was very good and we weren't 'jammed' in as another poster said. More room than in a lot of Disney restaurants I have been to, lol.

Our local Olive Garden is always busy too, but no Italians eat there!
Tony's is okay, just don't go in with high expectations. There is no Tony in the kitchen making his mamas Sunday sauce.

I always smile at the Diser's comparisons to Olive garden. Our local Olive Garden is always busy and I do mean ALWAYS!
Funny how some seem to feel it's so inadequate. I'd go there anytime.
And I like Tony's too!

I just wish the food at Tonys was as good as Olive Garden.
My feeling is if Tonys were in a city instead of Mainstreet Magic Kingdom, it would be closed in a month.

After watching our esteemed hosts review of the restaurant, I won't eat there, ever, even though I try to eat somewhere different every time I go. I make my own pasta sauces and "undercooked" or "tomato paste straight out of the can" should never be used to describe red sauce. :scared: A sauce that is overly acidic will give me heartburn. Yes, it is "red" and made from tomatoes but probably not San Marzanno tomatoes cooked for a long time with expert seasoning. It seems the pasta is properly cooked for the most part but the sauce would ruin any red sauced dish for me.

I'm curious about Tony's as well since I was contemplating going there on my upcoming trip, but decided to hold off because of the bad reviews. I am a big Lady & The Tramp fan so I want to at least give it a try at some point in the future

As others have mentioned, it's not as bad as people say. I am a total Italian food snob from southern NY, but I can tell you it's not that terrible. It is definitely more in line with Olive Garden, maybe a step down from that. However, I went for lunch because it was convenient and a cool place during the hot day and it served its purpose. My sister ordered the spaghetti and meatballs, and they were definitely not close to canned spaghetti. It was sub-par, but not terrible. I think you'll enjoy it.

We just got back didn't eat there but I sat in the waiting area for a little bit with my brother in-law as place to escape the heat while my 15 month old nephew slept. It smelled terrible very musty like there some water damage in there that never got cleaned up properly. So if you like a little mold smell before you eat seems like the place to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter