Tell me about Vero Beach Resort area

DisneyGal24

Always dreaming of Disney! DVC—SSR & AKL
We are booked at Vero Beach June 29-July 4. We are staying in a 1BR and we plan to do some light cooking. This is our first trip there and we are so excited! Tell me about the surrounding area—favorite places to eat, shopping, grocery stores and anything else we need to know. (I know there’s a whole thread but I didn’t know how up to date the info was). Just want to hear from others about their experiences and what they recommend. Thanks!

Everything is over bridge and off island and about 15 min drive, including grocery. Be prepared as it's very isolated and quiet. There are the dining venues at the resort. Not bad. Love the Green Cabin room in the main building. Off island is a place called Fishack that we also went to and it was pretty good. But about 20 mins drive.

The sun is super hot so bring some good sun block and aloe. My DS burned his nose pretty good there. Had to get zinc to slather over it.

They keep lights off at night due to turtles. And we couldn't get on beach at night either. Not sure if that is all the time. But gate was locked at night when we went (1st week in Aug a few years ago). It storms each night but pretty quick. Though may ruin the movies under the stars and whatnot for the kiddos.

Last edited:
Grocery shopping wise, there is a publix a few minutes away. But I always shop at the SuperWalmart in Sebastian, and then go to Publix for what Walmart does not have. Save alot that way. Plenty of good restaurants in Vero. Some popular in Sebastian. Capt Hirams, MoBay, Mulligans, Squid Lips. In vero, Ocean Grill, Kilted Mermaid, Tides., Southern Social, Amalfi Grill, and many others to name a few.

Publix is 12 mins drive.
Most stuff is about 12 to 20 mins drive. Except a pizza joint near the resort.

We did an airboat tour one day. It was Marsh Beast Tours or something like that. It was about 45 mins away.

Everything is over bridge and off island and about 15 min drive, including grocery. Be prepared as it's very isolated and quiet. There are the dining venues at the resort. Not bad. Love the Green Cabin room in the main building. Off island is a place called Fishack that we also went to and it was pretty good. But about 20 mins drive.

The sun is super hot so bring some good sun block and aloe. My DS burned his nose pretty good there. Had to get zinc to slather over it.

They keep lights off at night due to turtles. And we couldn't get on beach at night either. Not sure if that is all the time. But gate was locked at night when we went (1st week in Aug a few years ago). It storms each night but pretty quick. Though may ruin the movies under the stars and whatnot for the kiddos.
I’m ready for some isolated and quiet especially given what is going on. I’m really hoping there are very few people around the resort so we can ditch the masks! Sounds like everything thing isn’t too far away. We live in a rural area where we have to drive at least 20 minutes to the nearest grocery store so the drive won’t be too bad for us. Thanks for the input!

Publix is 12 mins drive.
Most stuff is about 12 to 20 mins drive. Except a pizza joint near the resort.

We did an airboat tour one day. It was Marsh Beast Tours or something like that. It was about 45 mins away.
Airboat tour sounds interesting!

Airboat tour sounds interesting!
It was neat. We enjoyed it.

Can rent jet skis at the resort but you have to swim out to them. Or they used to have that back when we went....like 8 years ago.

It will be very low key and a good place to social distance. No built up commercialized Beach like Ocean City MD or Myrtle Beach. Its very natural and un developed. The main road is all tall greenery bush that you can't even see homes. It is lovely. Enjoy.

I’m ready for some isolated and quiet especially given what is going on. I’m really hoping there are very few people around the resort so we can ditch the masks! Sounds like everything thing isn’t too far away. We live in a rural area where we have to drive at least 20 minutes to the nearest grocery store so the drive won’t be too bad for us. Thanks for the input!
If you are in a one-bedroom, then you’ll be in one of the outer buildings and wouldn’t be going through too much common area from the car (parking is under the building) to your room.

We’ll be there ourselves towards the end of your stay!

We are owners there and go each summer (we live about 3 hrs away). Also owners at BLT and love that for other reasons, of course, but given the current situation Vero is a great place to be. We are (hopefully) trying Hilton Head this summer as that is the only DVC resort we have not been to at this point! As everyone said, the only drawback of Vero is the limited food around.However, many food delivery companies now deliver there so it's better than it was years ago. Have fun and enjoy!

We have been to VB twice, once we stayed in a 2bedroom and the other time we had to rooms in the Hotel building. As other have mentioned it is very quiet there. The resort is actually located in Wabsso Beach, which is north of Vero Beach.

Both times we at Squid Lips located in Sebastian. Great seafood, rustic setting on the water.
We always pick up groceries in the Sebastian area before heading out to the beach area.
We have enjoyed eating at the resorts restaurants. The last time we were there they were renovating the main restaurant and quick service area by the pool. I have seen videos and photos of the updates and they look great.
We really like the food at the Green Cabin Room, we usually it out on the porch over looking the ocean.

We never have venture anywhere outside the resort for activities. We enjoy the beach, pool and just chilling. Have a wonderful time.

We like VB resorts lot (not owners there). We used to go to VB in the 1990s & early 2000s but with so much beach erosion and after a jellyfish sting incident, we quit going.

The beach there is narrow and the waves can crash pretty hard to shore. Be careful with any kids. Pool is very nice, mini golf nice. I didn't love main restaurant but last visit was before renovation. Enjoyed long bike ride and walking on beach.

We used to own at the Vero Resort and visited twice a year for many years.
We loved the area so much that we built a house 10 minutes from the resort, and now we live here year round.

Restaurants.... Our favorite upscale place is the Ocean Grill. Best shrimp cocktail on the planet (but need to get horseradish on the side because the sauce is basically ketchup).
When on vacation we used to do Capt Hiram’s, but truthfully we rarely go there now. The food is basically horrid, but we still visit once in a while for drinks and entertainment. For better food I would do Squid Lips.
Muligans in Sebastian is very good, but the one in Vero (across from Ocean Grill) is pretty nasty.
Up the road from Mulligans in Sebastian is TikiBar. Food pretty good, not great. But the entertainment and atmosphere is excellent.
We have other local favorites, but they start getting a bit further away.

We used to own at the Vero Resort and visited twice a year for many years.
We loved the area so much that we built a house 10 minutes from the resort, and now we live here year round.

Restaurants.... Our favorite upscale place is the Ocean Grill. Best shrimp cocktail on the planet (but need to get horseradish on the side because the sauce is basically ketchup).
When on vacation we used to do Capt Hiram’s, but truthfully we rarely go there now. The food is basically horrid, but we still visit once in a while for drinks and entertainment. For better food I would do Squid Lips.
Muligans in Sebastian is very good, but the one in Vero (across from Ocean Grill) is pretty nasty.
Up the road from Mulligans in Sebastian is TikiBar. Food pretty good, not great. But the entertainment and atmosphere is excellent.
We have other local favorites, but they start getting a bit further away.

Hi, since you are a local how would you rate Riverside Café? We plan to go to VB again this coming January and want to try this place. What are you thoughts? The atmosphere looks good to me, on the water and not fancy, just my cup of tea so to speak. :thumbsup2

We
Hi, since you are a local how would you rate Riverside Café? We plan to go to VB again this coming January and want to try this place. What are you thoughts? The atmosphere looks good to me, on the water and not fancy, just my cup of tea so to speak. :thumbsup2
Love the place for lunch, and we enjoy both the food and atmosphere.
That said, we stay away for dinner, as the place turns into more of a nightclub as the night progresses.

We

Love the place for lunch, and we enjoy both the food and atmosphere.
That said, we stay away for dinner, as the place turns into more of a nightclub as the night progresses.

Thanks for the review! I'm looking forward to visiting this place the next time we are in Vero Beach, would probably do a 3-4PM time frame. I'm hoping that time would be good?

Last year we had dinner one night at Ocean Grill, we really enjoyed it and will visit again this year at least once for dinner. They have duck on the menu which really made DH very happy, he's not a fish eater. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the review! I'm looking forward to visiting this place the next time we are in Vero Beach, would probably do a 3-4PM time frame. I'm hoping that time would be good?

Last year we had dinner one night at Ocean Grill, we really enjoyed it and will visit again this year at least once for dinner. They have duck on the menu which really made DH very happy, he's not a fish eater. :thumbsup2
Yes.... your timeframe should be fine.
In fact, with this whole social distancing thing, the “packed night club” scene may be on the outs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!